To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 12 2013, 02:04 AM   #1
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
What examples of multiple species from one world are there?

One thing that came up in the discussion thread on Dark Mirror that I started up yesterday was the topic of multiple sapient species existing on a single world. (Cetaceans came up initially, but as the discussion progressed all sorts of reasonably intelligent, communicative, even tool-using species from elephants to corvids to cephalopods came up.

What examples of a world with more than one indigenous sapient species are there in the Trkeverse? Valakis has the Valakians and Menk in the Enterprise episode "Dear Doctor", along with the Xindi from the same series. I find the Xindi more plausible, actually--the five, originally six, sapient species of Xindus would each have evolved in very different ecological niches and would have been less likely to be outcompeted by others, while the Valakians and Menk are very closely related compete in the same areas. (I'd have bet that the Menk would be absorbed into the Valakians, on the model of the Neanderthals into the Homo sapiens sapiens population.) Earth, as Star Trek IV established, is also one of these worlds, humans and humpback whales co-existing for centuries until the latter species' 21st century extinction.

What am I missing?
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: What examples of multiple species from one world are there?

Spock's World (and the Tuvok chapter in Pathways that borrows from it) postulates the existence of sapient whale-like creatures living under the sands of Vulcan's deserts.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Enterprise: By The Book is about a situation like that. Better than you'd expect for being the first original Enterprise novel, too.
Old February 12 2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

"Gemworld" duology, IIRC.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 03:57 AM   #5
dansigal
Commander

Trill
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 03:58 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Except I don't think any of the species were native, though.

It occurred to me to wonder if the Aenar would count, but they were described as a subspecies of Andorian rather than a separate species. So it's a borderline case.

dansigal wrote: View Post
Trill
*Slaps forehead* Of course -- we missed the obvious example.

Old February 12 2013, 04:10 AM   #7
rfmcdpei
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Except I don't think any of the species were native, though.

It occurred to me to wonder if the Aenar would count, but they were described as a subspecies of Andorian rather than a separate species. So it's a borderline case.
I'd classify them with the Valakians and Menk, or Homo sapiens sapiens and Neanderthals from Earth's history. They are very closely related populations and, because they are capable of producing offspring with each other (fertile offspring?), arguably aren't even separate species. The Aenar lived by themselves in cities of ice, but that seems to be more a lifestyle choice than an ecological adaptation; I can imagine the Aenar outcompeting the Andorians, not the other way around.

dansigal wrote: View Post
Trill
*Slaps forehead* Of course -- we missed the obvious example.[/QUOTE]

Doh! indeed.
Old February 12 2013, 04:13 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
...and, because they are capable of producing offspring with each other (fertile offspring?), arguably aren't even separate species.
I don't think that's a standard we can really apply in the Trek universe...

Old February 12 2013, 05:54 AM   #9
rfmcdpei
Captain

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
...and, because they are capable of producing offspring with each other (fertile offspring?), arguably aren't even separate species.
I don't think that's a standard we can really apply in the Trek universe...
Well, yes, in worlds where a Cardassian can find that his Bajoran mistress can conceive and successfully bring to full term a child of mixed heritage, yes.

Still, the Aenar do seem to have been pretty closely related to the Andorians, and inasmuch as neither species seems to have reproduced with non-Aenar/Andorians that definition would still hold. I think.

(The case can be made that different and apparently readily interfertile populations like Humans, Betazoidsvery human
Old February 12 2013, 07:11 AM   #10
zarkon
Captain

Flyspeck in "Doctor's Orders".
Old February 12 2013, 10:34 AM   #11
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Nasats and Citoac in Balance of Nature.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Regarding Gemworld, the Lipuls and the Frills were both native (the other four races introduced), so Gemworld does indeed count.

As mentioned in the Dark Mirror thread, Orion's Hounds namedrops Betazoid pachyderms as an equivalent to dolphins - sapient but wild and uncivilized - so that's Betazed added to the list.

Would Huanni and Falorians count as different species, or is that another Andorian/Aenar situation? They're more like racial variants within a species, I suppose.

From the TV series: the world of the Vori and Kradin, apparently, from Voyager. Unless one of the races colonized in antiquity.
Old February 12 2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Markonian
Captain

To Earth, I would add the Voth and Clan Ru.

Do we know anything more about the relation between Dopterians and Ferengi? (Might add the Kobheerians - they look almost like the Dops).
Old February 12 2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
From the TV series: the world of the Vori and Kradin, apparently, from Voyager. Unless one of the races colonized in antiquity.
Also the Ledosians and their offshoot species the Ventu in "Natural Law."

Markonian wrote: View Post
To Earth, I would add the Voth and Clan Ru.
Except that Clan Ru didn't evolve sapience on Earth, but their ancestors were transplanted by some Preserver-type race and evolved into Clan Ru on another world. And I prefer to believe the same was true of the Voth (and that their ancestors were most likely transplanted by the same group), since that's more credible than the characters' conjecture in-episode that their ancestors evolved a starfaring civilization on Earth that somehow left no evidence in the geological record. (Even if they had somehow remained limited to land masses that subsequently submerged or eroded away, an industrial civilization would've caused atmospheric and environmental changes that would leave a chemical footprint in the corresponding stratum.)

Do we know anything more about the relation between Dopterians and Ferengi? (Might add the Kobheerians - they look almost like the Dops).
I'm assuming some ancient common ancestor that colonized or seeded multiple worlds. It's been known to happen in Trek...

Old February 12 2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I'm assuming some ancient common ancestor that colonized or seeded multiple worlds. It's been known to happen in Trek...
On that note...the Algolians and Pardshay's race. Descendants of Promellian colonies? Especially since Algol is another of those "easily namedropped but unlikely to actually support habitable planets" systems.