RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,448
Posts: 5,508,057
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 546
Newest member: xunixan

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 12 2013, 12:09 PM   #106
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

You may be drawing a blank because there was very little Uhura to go on prior to the 2009 movie. As far as I can tell both versions had a fondness for Spock and both were communications experts. They've thankfully eliminated all traces of "I'm scared, Captain!" from her character.

We haven't seen nuUhura do a fan dance or sing yet, but there's still time for that.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 12:20 PM   #107
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Well lets see. They left in she was black and communications officer...after that I draw a blank. There are no other similarities between the two characters.
I see that you did not even attempt to list elements of the character which were left out, and that's understandable, considering that the old version of Uhura was a cypher, barely a character at all, with no identifiable traits except for her gender and ethnicity.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:09 PM   #108
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

UFO wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I see no "drastic changes". We've just focused on Uhura a little bit for the first time ever, so the character comes off as more personated and better defined than she used to be, but there's nothing about the new Uhura that makes her dramatically different from the original Uhura, except for the fact that the character is played by a different actress and that it's not the 1960's anymore.
To quote the great John McEnroe: "You CAN NOT be serious!" Now I have heard it said the two McCoys are rather similar. They must be who you are thinking of.


Charlie Kelly wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
She raised the issue with her superior officer, the one who made the decision in the first place.
Yeah and the way I saw it Spock was trying to appear fair by being unfair to her and he would have given her the posting on the Enterprise had they not being going out. She had every right to complain about that.
As I have said before (or if not I should have!), if Spock was so concerned about an obvious potential conflict of interest (a bit late btw) he should have excused himself from making Uhura's assignment. Now, especially in what was clearly a temporary assignment (where-after they should have all gone back to the academy to complete their damned training ), Uhura had no right to question her posting. There could easily have been a good reason for placing her on a another ship. Besides, if you start by letting people choose their own favourite billets (no matter how "entitled" and full of their own importance they are), where will it end?
It will end wherever the filmmakers say. There are many aspects of the Trek movie that I consider ripe for criticism but the idea that it is any less "realistic" in it's depiction of military-like protocols than any previous iteration of Trek is rather laughable.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:24 PM   #109
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Baby Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

Uhura's argument was this:

"Was I not your best student?"
"Am I not the best comm officer here today?"
"Then why the fuck aren't I assigned to the best ship?"

It's a valid point, and hardly blackmail. Spock erred on the side of caution and Uhura took issue with that. I found that far more endearing than the blank sheet that is old Uhura.
__________________
Some say that his arrival was foretold by a Check Engine light shining over Bethlehem and that he was born in a manger on Christmas Day.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:28 PM   #110
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

In the old MISOGYNISTIC Star Trek, all Uhura did was answer the phones. Now she answers the phones and takes her shirt off. And she's Spock's girlfriend.

Hurray for feminism.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:33 PM   #111
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
In the old MISOGYNISTIC Star Trek, all Uhura did was answer the phones. Now she answers the phones and takes her shirt off. And she's Spock's girlfriend.

Hurray for feminism.
Yeah, even the strawman is a guy!
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 01:02 AM   #112
UFO
Captain
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
UFO wrote: View Post
To quote the great John McEnroe: "You CAN NOT be serious!" Now I have heard it said the two McCoys are rather similar. They must be who you are thinking of.
No, it's not. What aspects of the old Uhura were left out, in your opinion?
Well we could start with professionalism, a certain humility and yes, just plain "niceness".

But its more a matter of the undesirable character traits that were put in. Some have been mentioned by Bry_Sinclair. I would include his suggestions of "abrasive, snooty, cold" as well as self-centred and manipulative (have I mentioned "entitled" and full of her own importance?). You could probably add some yourself but I doubt anyone would suggest the two Uhuras are remotely similar characters in their behaviour or as people.


Ovation wrote: View Post
UFO wrote: View Post
... Besides, if you start by letting people choose their own favourite billets (no matter how "entitled" and full of their own importance they are), where will it end?
It will end wherever the filmmakers say.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I was a bit worried it could end with a cadet still under training and on his first mission, being handed command of a modern flagship because he happened to get lucky, or something.

There are many aspects of the Trek movie that I consider ripe for criticism but the idea that it is any less "realistic" in it's depiction of military-like protocols than any previous iteration of Trek is rather laughable.
Actually I wasn't comparing it to previous Trek. But even if you feel comfortable rolling out the "old trek was almost as bad at times" excuse (and assuming it's justified), are you sure the examples under discussion might not have been a good place to improve matters a tad? That said, I agree it's more the fact it doesn't make anyone involved look too good, rather than a potential military protocol problem, that is of most concern.


The Stig wrote: View Post
Uhura's argument was this:

"Was I not your best student?"
"Am I not the best comm officer here today?"
"Then why the fuck aren't I assigned to the best ship?"

It's a valid point, and hardly blackmail. Spock erred on the side of caution and Uhura took issue with that. I found that far more endearing than the blank sheet that is old Uhura.
Despite that I think most people managed to form an opinion of the type of person old Uhura was. To me, nuUhura isn't that type.

And valid in what way?

For all Uhura knew, the ship she was assigned to may not have had a communications officer at all at that point and needed the best trainee available. That wouldn't have been a slight on her abilities, quite the reverse. And, once again, it should have been seen as a temporary assignment for the duration of the emergency. That was not a time to be throwing hissy fits. Such behaviour sure didn't endear her to me. Nor is that just due to not liking the movie. I have no problem with half the main characters (Spock is 50/50 ).

On the other hand perhaps respectfully asking a question might have been more acceptable, instead of the way she did it. Clearly Spock was right about his conflict of interest concerns when it came to the way they interacted. Unless she was like that with all her superior officers!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 01:35 AM   #113
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

UFO wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
There are many aspects of the Trek movie that I consider ripe for criticism but the idea that it is any less "realistic" in it's depiction of military-like protocols than any previous iteration of Trek is rather laughable.
Actually I wasn't comparing it to previous Trek. But even if you feel comfortable rolling out the "old trek was almost as bad at times" excuse (and assuming it's justified), are you sure the examples under discussion might not have been a good place to improve matters a tad? That said, I agree it's more the fact it doesn't make anyone involved look too good, rather than a potential military protocol problem, that is of most concern.


The Stig wrote: View Post
Uhura's argument was this:

"Was I not your best student?"
"Am I not the best comm officer here today?"
"Then why the fuck aren't I assigned to the best ship?"

It's a valid point, and hardly blackmail. Spock erred on the side of caution and Uhura took issue with that. I found that far more endearing than the blank sheet that is old Uhura.
For all Uhura knew, the ship she was assigned to may not have had a communications officer at all at that point and needed the best trainee available. That wouldn't have been a slight on her abilities, quite the reverse. And, once again, it should have been seen as a temporary assignment for the duration of the emergency. That was not a time to be throwing hissy fits. Such behaviour sure didn't endear her to me. Nor is that just due to not liking the movie. I have no problem with half the main characters (Spock is 50/50 ).

On the other hand perhaps respectfully asking a question might have been more acceptable, instead of the way she did it. Clearly Spock was right about his conflict of interest concerns when it came to the way they interacted. Unless she was like that with all her superior officers!
I agree. Trek has often been silly but two wrongs don't make a right!

These were temporary postings handed out in an emergency. If they were not, Spock would not have been the one dishing out his girlfriend's posting - it would have been deferred to somebody else with no personal relationship. Plus you would not fill up your flagship with trainees under normal circumstances. Uhura could have raised her request for a posting to the Enterprise when she returned. I for one would not have been averse to seeing Uhura and Gaila being rescued from an escape pod following the confrontation with Nero.

Spock was not unprofessional for posting her to another ship because in doing so he deferred the decision on them working together until somebody else could make that decision. Uhura was doing exactly what the system is designed to avoid - using her influence to circumnavigate the correct chain of command and in the process leaving another ship one communications officer short. It was a fun jokey moment but it doesn't paint the characters well.

Ultimately the decision not to post her to the Enterprise might have been wrong and rescinded later but in the circumstances, Spock acted correctly and Uhura did not.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631

Last edited by M'Sharak; February 13 2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: to correct quote attribution & bargled formatting tags
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 04:13 AM   #114
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

UFO wrote: View Post
Well we could start with professionalism, a certain humility and yes, just plain "niceness".
No offense meant, but I think that what you're doing here is filling in generic character traits in the void between two "hailing frequencies open, Captain".
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 06:12 AM   #115
UFO
Captain
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
UFO wrote: View Post
Well we could start with professionalism, a certain humility and yes, just plain "niceness".
No offense meant, but I think that what you're doing here is filling in generic character traits in the void between two "hailing frequencies open, Captain".
I'm sure we would be mortal enemies by now if I had understood what you are implying!

However sufficient to say I have no problem with nuUhura having a more extensive skill set. It is simply her personal character traits (her attitude etc) that I see as very different. I take it your contention is that her personality is basicly the same?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 06:15 AM   #116
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

OldUhura would need a personality first.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 06:25 AM   #117
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

UFO wrote: View Post
I'm sure we would be mortal enemies by now if I had understood what you are implying!
The old Uhura had no personality, so you have filled in the blanks in your head and invented some personality traits for her. And now you're disappointed because the character you see on the big screen is not the character you had imagined.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 12:04 PM   #118
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

OMG.....I started this post so people can have an honest discussion of Uhura,the role of women and feminism.However seeing some of the comments here only proves that women still have a long way to.

Uhura is called a manipulative brat for insisting she is placed on the Enterprise and yet the fan boys are giving Jim a pass for his undeserving place on the Enterprise.


all you male dominant fan boys...answer an honest question for once.


Who was more deserving to serve on the Enterprise.

Uhura or Jim?


I think a lot of men are intimidating by many Women...what is this? the 1800's?

Old Uhura didn't do much. NU-Uhura totally kicks ass.

Jim to me was the weak link of all the characters however he gets off easy because Jim is just destined to be captain.

Unlike Uhura or Spock..Jim doesn't have to work that hard of anything.

Uhura earned that place on the Enterprise....Spock earned his place and even had to work harder to get admitted into the Vulcan Science Academy.

what did Jim do?

He sleeps around and hits on every girl he sees

He cheats on the Kobayashi Maru

He gets Mccoy to bail him out so that he could get on the Enterprise.

He starts fights on the brig.

And in the end he gets captain.

Yeah....Right

However the fanboys hails Jim as their hero and slams Uhura.


Shame on you...Hey fanboys go listen to Beyonce's run the world.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; February 13 2013 at 12:16 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 12:13 PM   #119
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I think a lot of men her intimidating by many Women...what is this? the 1800's?
Well yes, in lots of ways, this is still the 1800's. Is that news to you? Aren't you confronted with sexism where you live? As a society, we're moving towards equality but there's still a long way to go.

There's no need to capitalize "women", though. That's just silly.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 01:09 PM   #120
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Baby Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

UFO wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
Uhura's argument was this:

"Was I not your best student?"
"Am I not the best comm officer here today?"
"Then why the fuck aren't I assigned to the best ship?"

It's a valid point, and hardly blackmail. Spock erred on the side of caution and Uhura took issue with that. I found that far more endearing than the blank sheet that is old Uhura.
Despite that I think most people managed to form an opinion of the type of person old Uhura was. To me, nuUhura isn't that type.

And valid in what way?

For all Uhura knew, the ship she was assigned to may not have had a communications officer at all at that point and needed the best trainee available.
All the cadets stood and watched as the assignments were handed out. The film is fairly clear on the circumstances, so your supposition isn't really borne out by what we saw on screen.

That wouldn't have been a slight on her abilities, quite the reverse. And, once again, it should have been seen as a temporary assignment for the duration of the emergency. That was not a time to be throwing hissy fits. Such behaviour sure didn't endear her to me. Nor is that just due to not liking the movie. I have no problem with half the main characters (Spock is 50/50 ).
Spock was wrong. That's the only reasonable take-away from the scene in question. Uhura worked hard to get a posting on the Enterprise and didn't meekly accept a lesser posting when she knew that she deserved better. That's not a 'hissy-fit,' that's simply being assertive.

On the other hand perhaps respectfully asking a question might have been more acceptable, instead of the way she did it. Clearly Spock was right about his conflict of interest concerns when it came to the way they interacted. Unless she was like that with all her superior officers!
Uhura didn't make a scene, she didn't speak rudely or raise her voice. She asked Spock for a word and plead her case passionately. Compare with Kirk, who decided to simply attack Spock during an argument, and it's clear that your objections have far less to do with what Uhura did and far more with her gender.
__________________
Some say that his arrival was foretold by a Check Engine light shining over Bethlehem and that he was born in a manger on Christmas Day.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.