Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 10 2013, 11:57 PM   #76
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: NBC's 'Do No Harm' = Biggest Flop in Network TV History!

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The Barn wasn't a barn, that was just Hicksville hillbilly camouflage which is how the Supernatural powers that be saw fit to talk down to and patronize the sad little muggles frightened and confused by all the goings on.
Well, I didn't want to give too much away . . .
Old February 11 2013, 12:22 AM   #77
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I was talking about a Barn circa 1920 which Caretaker used to house his rape victims in the pilot of Voyager just yesterday and the similarity to Haven was amusing. This is taking "if it's not broke, don't fix it" to extremes that these boogymen can use the same mummery to calm the masses for hundreds of years and expect the greatgrandchildren of the first dopes to fall for this crap to be equally as dull witted.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 01:31 AM   #78
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

It did look extremely stupid, but I like Steven Pasquale, and I think he could be a very effective lead with the right story.

As for the big networks, I'm often astonished at how little of an effort they seem to be making in the face of so much vastly superior opposition, so much choice. When film was threatened by television, they staggered for a while, but eventually embraced the changes that needed to be made, and the filmmakers, actors, writers and the like who could bring about those changes in a commercially viable way.

It's not the best comparison, but I do see parallels, and I do wonder if a network like NBC can embrace its own assortment of necessary changes.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:16 PM   #79
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
It did look extremely stupid, but I like Steven Pasquale, and I think he could be a very effective lead with the right story.

As for the big networks, I'm often astonished at how little of an effort they seem to be making in the face of so much vastly superior opposition, so much choice. When film was threatened by television, they staggered for a while, but eventually embraced the changes that needed to be made, and the filmmakers, actors, writers and the like who could bring about those changes in a commercially viable way.

It's not the best comparison, but I do see parallels, and I do wonder if a network like NBC can embrace its own assortment of necessary changes.
I don't think it's about a network adjusting to the reality of the market place. I think it's about a network making poor creative decisions. Look at CBS and ABC, they are doing very well.

Especially CBS. They get a lot of eyeballs watching their shows. They may not be the riskiest creatively, but... they know how to entertain a vast swath of the American population.
Old February 11 2013, 05:21 PM   #80
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Especially CBS. They get a lot of eyeballs watching their shows.
Which is wise, considering that other parts of the body are not as good at watching shows as eyeballs.
Old February 12 2013, 01:32 AM   #81
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Which is wise, considering that other parts of the body are not as good at watching shows as eyeballs.
I don't know if that's true...
Old February 12 2013, 01:39 AM   #82
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I don't know if that's true...

Well, I tend to use my ears as well, closed-captioning nothwithstanding.
Old February 12 2013, 07:13 AM   #83
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Subtitles + fastforwardx32.

I put a couple lemons to bed using that combo.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 01:49 AM   #84
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Television, as a medium, is taking a hit. The internet, Netflix, Hulu, smart TVs--all of this makes getting a pair of rabbit ears seem ridiculous, as least to me. I know I cancelled cable and I don't miss it. I get to choose what I watch, when I want to watch it. And I don't have to worry about being inundated with commercials while I am watching it. Honestly, if my Pistons and HBO were on the internet, I would never own another television in my life.

As for the free airwaves, it's all crap. I don't like cop shows or talk shows or stupid comedies. I watch two non-informational shows on free television--The Big Bang Theory and Smash. That's it. PBS is okay, but I can get all their content with limited commercial interruptions on their website. Anything I want to see on HBO will be on DVD and Blu-ray soon anyway. It's really a waste of time to see all those commercials all the time. Clicking on the link is much easier. And I'm not doing anything illegal--who needs to anymore? The Pistons are the only thing I don't have access to.

The problems at NBC baffle me, except they have horrible acting and bland stories. How is that any different at CBS? It wasn't too long ago the roles were reversed.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 02:07 AM   #85
Christopher
Writer

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The problems at NBC baffle me, except they have horrible acting and bland stories. How is that any different at CBS?
CBS is home to the most successful new show of the season, Elementary. Its lead-in Person of Interest is also doing well and is critically respected.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 03:30 AM   #86
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

ABC isn't doing that well. CBS is doing well for now, but their aging audience is going to get them eventually. They're all dinosaurs on the path to extinction, CBS is just the fattest dinosaur.

If you delete competition shows and sports from the equation, the situation is even more dire. Ad-supported TV can do well with "live" events - essentially, competitions (which is what the Oscars, American Idol and the SuperBowl all have in common) - because they are DVR proof so the ads get watched. Eventually, ad-supported TV will encompass competitions and news, while scripted fare moves over to the subscription model, either cable or streaming.

Broadcast is locked into their fate because they have too many vested interests they can't afford to offend. For networks, it's advertisers. Cable TV is in the same situation, their hands are tied. HBO would be foolish to offend cable/dish companies by offering HBOGo on the same basis as Netflix.

Netflix and Amazon have a clear playing field because they are the least locked into an archaic situation and they have the luxury of just doing what makes sense, such as spending a boatload on a premium series and then giving the audience the power to decide when they watch it, which judging from the comments all over the internet has made up for that Quiwkster debacle and then some. That's smart because right now, it's all about brand building and loyalty. That investment will pay off hugely in the long run.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The problems at NBC baffle me, except they have horrible acting and bland stories. How is that any different at CBS?
CBS is home to the most successful new show of the season, Elementary. Its lead-in Person of Interest is also doing well and is critically respected.
The CBS viewer is the least likely to have already abandoned broadcast for cable or streaming. NBC's audience is a lot more hip to new trends, so they're already gone. But it's a general trend that's going to hit everyone eventually. CBS's viewers can't live forever and the younger viewers have already abandoned broadcast.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 03:48 AM   #87
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Zour Hour was the worst rated premiere in the network history. They are all fucked and outdated.
Old February 17 2013, 03:54 AM   #88
Christopher
Writer

Temis, I don't understand your insistence on the stereotype that CBS caters only to really old people. Do you even watch their shows? If anything, the CSI franchise seems to be targeted at younger audiences, with an emphasis on music-video-style montages and editing and an abundance of sexually themed, often quite kinky storylines. Person of Interest is aimed at the same audience as Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, and Elementary is a "younger, hipper" version of Sherlock Holmes rather than a stodgy drawing-room mystery. This is not the network of Murder, She Wrote anymore.

Here's what I found online about CBS's audience demographics, although the figures are five years old:

http://www.cbs.com/can_player/advertise.php
CBS Audience Network Demographics

Female 50%

18-24 : 11%
25-34 : 17%
35-44 : 23%
45-54 : 21%
55-64 : 10%
65+ : 5%

Income
< $15,000 : 4% $15,000 - $24,999 : 2%
$25,000 - $39,999 : 8%
$40,000 - $59,999 : 26%
$60,000 - $74,999 : 12%
$75,000 -$ 99,999 : 19%
$100,000+ : 29%

Source: comScore Media Metrix, February 2008
So nearly 60% of their audience is under 45, or at least it was five years ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 04:29 AM   #89
Zeppster
Commodore

If it weren't for sports I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have TV at all except for my blu-rays and DVDs. And when it becomes possible to stream all sport events online, including NBA and college sports. And stream those perfectly instead of the crappy streams we have today, I'll probably give up cable. I haven't watched a network show in years.
Old February 17 2013, 04:29 AM   #90
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
ABC isn't doing that well. CBS is doing well for now, but their aging audience is going to get them eventually. They're all dinosaurs on the path to extinction, CBS is just the fattest dinosaur.

If you delete competition shows and sports from the equation, the situation is even more dire. Ad-supported TV can do well with "live" events - essentially, competitions (which is what the Oscars, American Idol and the SuperBowl all have in common) - because they are DVR proof so the ads get watched. Eventually, ad-supported TV will encompass competitions and news, while scripted fare moves over to the subscription model, either cable or streaming.

Broadcast is locked into their fate because they have too many vested interests they can't afford to offend. For networks, it's advertisers. Cable TV is in the same situation, their hands are tied. HBO would be foolish to offend cable/dish companies by offering HBOGo on the same basis as Netflix.

Netflix and Amazon have a clear playing field because they are the least locked into an archaic situation and they have the luxury of just doing what makes sense, such as spending a boatload on a premium series and then giving the audience the power to decide when they watch it, which judging from the comments all over the internet has made up for that Quiwkster debacle and then some. That's smart because right now, it's all about brand building and loyalty. That investment will pay off hugely in the long run.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The CBS viewer is the least likely to have already abandoned broadcast for cable or streaming. NBC's audience is a lot more hip to new trends, so they're already gone. But it's a general trend that's going to hit everyone eventually. CBS's viewers can't live forever and the younger viewers have already abandoned broadcast.
Don't forget--live events have pay subscriptions online. For instance, NBA League Pass, MLB.com TV, etc. ESPN3 does plenty of games, especially college sports. The Superbowl was streamed on CBS.com this year. What do you need nielsen families for anymore?