Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 25 2012, 08:47 PM   #31
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

For real?

Already hit the 2 million mark? Really happy to eat my words now

If this really takes off and the announcements come true i'll be definitely checking this game out.. i'm dying for a state of the art space combat sim.
Old October 27 2012, 06:56 AM   #32
Jono
Rear Admiral

Stretch goals have been updated with quite a bit of information. The 30 month mark for Star Citizen to be released has been moved from the $5+ million to $3+ million and that they will aim for 40 explorable systems to begin with.

Some highlights:

$2 million:
*SQ42 - 30 missions

$3 million:
*SQ42 - 35 missions
*Star Citizen - 40 systems (released in 30 months)

$4 million:
*SQ42 - 45 missions, richer storyline
*Star Citizen - 50 systems, extra ship

$5 million:
*SQ42 - 50 missions, celebrity voice acting including someone from Wing Commander
*Star Citizen - 70 systems

There are a number of "locked" goals that I guess will only be revealed when they are met. Kickstarter also has different goals, which I think might be mainly aimed at backers rather than more general release goals.
Jono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 07:36 PM   #33
Mr_Homn
Captain

I hope they get Tom Wilson (Maniac, Biff Tannen) if they reach the 5 million mark. Mark Hamill would be amazing as well, obviously.
Old November 19 2012, 05:48 PM   #34
superdeluxe
Captain

Nearing 6 million dollars.

All stretch goals have been unlocked.

Last stretch goals at 6million:

Full Orchestra Score
100 explorable Star Systems
Free Squadron 42 'Mission' pack for backers.

Wow.

The Constellation (Ship you get for 250 pledge):

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...BrochureV2.pdf

Early Alpha Computer AI attacking and defending Bengal Class Cruiser (unlocked playable at 5.5 milion):

http://vimeo.com/m/53745615

2 hours LEFT.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:47 PM   #35
superdeluxe
Captain

6 million Success. Incredible.

Old November 19 2012, 07:21 PM   #36
Jono
Rear Admiral

I thought it reaching 3 or 4 million was a bit of a pipe dream at the beginning, so hitting the "max" is pretty amazing.

It is also ending every strongly (about 40 mins left atm). It will come close to raising $2 million in the last two days alone. Also should be noted that it will surpass the previous crowd funding record for a video game by that same amount. Not bad for a "dead" genre.
Old November 19 2012, 08:53 PM   #37
superdeluxe
Captain

Finishes with 6.2 million. Crazy.

Old November 20 2012, 08:56 PM   #38
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Guess it's time to upgrade the machine and buy a state of the art joystick!
Old November 21 2012, 08:46 PM   #39
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Good on him and his team for securing that much money! I hope they produce a worthy game with it.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 11:32 PM   #40
superdeluxe
Captain

So it looks like they are extending pledges through the RSI website for a extra day or two, due to the problems that website has had. They are now up to 6.5 million lol

Old February 9 2013, 05:10 AM   #41
Jono
Rear Admiral

Roberts released an interest article on how dead will work in the game: Death of a Spaceman

I never put any thought into how death would be handled. I just thought you'd lose cargo and just come back alive somewhere and be immortal as you are in most MMOs, so it is interesting to see they're planning something a bit different. I like the sound of the system and the fact your character can actually really die.
Old February 11 2013, 10:23 PM   #42
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Actually it sounds quite cool how they envision it and it makes me even more interested.

Roberts has a point by claimg that current re-spawn games take the urgency and tension out of games.. as much fun as it is to charge a room full of enemies you do it because you know that the autosave function will take you back to a near point and you only lose some moments of gaming.

With this system players will actually be forced to run occasionally if opposition is just too strong or the enemy pilot too good.. withdraw to fight another day. I also like the visual cues to characters that show wear and tear over time so you could instantly spot the vets from the noobs in a bar (and make a wide circle around the vets if you don't want trouble).

Small nitpick though.. i agree that killing big bossess in MMO's is kinda tedious when it's the same one that's been killed by thousands before but simply renaming a known NPC so others can kill him and feel unique is just painting over the whole thing.. people still get to kill the same guy, just with a different name.

Anyway.. Roberts sure has an ambitious game planned.. i hope everything pans out like he wants it too and it's as cool as it sounds.

Might even be time to get a new gaming PC when it comes out.. i miss the 90s when Roberts' games were the indicators it was time to buy the next PC generation
Old August 31 2013, 08:32 AM   #43
Jono
Rear Admiral

The first of the pre-Alpha testing modules came out this week: the Hanger module. Basically it is what it sounds like, a place where you can look at and interact (without flying) with your vessels.

I only have one ship, the Hornet (a fighter), and I got to have my first proper look at it. After a few issues (one with the installer and the other with their server) I finally got in and had a look. It is nice to get a true sense of the scale of the vessel, usually with fighter/small ships you don't really get that. It is very pretty and detailed. Got into the cockpit and it was what you think it should be for a fighter. Very nice.

They have also opened the initial parts shop (not working when I tried my hanger). They have given people free credits to play with and they have monetised it so you can buy more, though you'd have to be pretty silly to do so at this stage. It's pretty much another money grab, which seems a bit much at this stage. However, people are throwing money at it so why would they stop?

Their crowd sourcing is continuing to be unstoppable. When I started this thread they are $500 away from $17 million and now they are $300 past it. During their live web cast for the launch of their new website they raised $250,000 in around 15 minutes through selling a limited edition vessel (US$1,000/vessel). I still can't believe how much people are throwing into this game so far out of release.
Old August 31 2013, 03:55 PM   #44
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Three things.. there are still many fans of the space combat sim genere and there has not been a decent one for a few years now.

Second, it's Chris Roberts and many people who were kids and teenagers back when Wing Commander and Privateer was huge fondly remember those games but are now firmly established in their work lives and some may be very successful easily shelling out 1.000$ or more to get this going.

Third (and this is an even bigger assumption on my part).. Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general is also mainly successful because people can directly support small companies about products they really want to see instead of waiting for the xth game from a big studio franchise. It's everlasting David vs. Goliath battle and people feel good supporting David.

Last edited by FPAlpha; August 31 2013 at 04:06 PM.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 02:45 PM   #45
superdeluxe
Captain

Today is the one year anniversary for Star Citizen launch. I wonder what special surprises will be on store on the live stream.