Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 11 2013, 06:30 AM   #46
sojourner
Admiral

Re: No attempt to clone The Big Bang Theory yet?

[true enough]

What's with the []'s?
Old February 11 2013, 06:36 AM   #47
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
So, Harry Potter and spoilers aren't nerdy???????? Really?????
Yeah. I'd go out on a limb and say this is definitely not nerd territory anymore.
Because Harry Potter was popular? What does make Star Wars? Nerdy doesn't have to mean niche or unpopular.

Reading Potter (especially for a guy Leonard's age) is pretty nerdy. Getting upset that Sheldon spoiled the books is pretty nerdy too.
Old February 11 2013, 06:41 AM   #48
tighr
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
[true enough]

What's with the []'s?
You've never played Mad Libs? It was to illustrate how cookie cutter the plotlines are.

Because Harry Potter was popular? What does make Star Wars? Nerdy doesn't have to mean niche or unpopular.

Reading Potter (especially for a guy Leonard's age) is pretty nerdy. Getting upset that Sheldon spoiled the books is pretty nerdy too.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was release in 2005, almost 8 years ago. If he's reading it for the first time, he's not that nerdy. Nearly EVERYONE read those books.
Old February 11 2013, 06:50 AM   #49
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

[true enough]

What's with the []'s?
You've never played Mad Libs? It was to illustrate how cookie cutter the plotlines are.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was release in 2005, almost 8 years ago. If he's reading it for the first time, he's not that nerdy. Nearly EVERYONE read those books.
Yeah and nearly everybody saw Avatar. That doesn't make it less nerdy. Reading a children's fantasy book about a school for witches is nerdy no matter when you read it.
Old February 11 2013, 06:54 AM   #50
tighr
Commodore

Yeah, I'm not going to fight you on this. Not worth it. I think it's a pretty lame picking point when my overall theme was that the show is cookie cutter.

Throw a couple "nerd bones" and bam, you've got a show about nerd culture. Swap them out, and bam you've got any other show on tv. Every show has a target.
Old February 11 2013, 07:30 AM   #51
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I'm not going to fight you on this. Not worth it. I think it's a pretty lame picking point when my overall theme was that the show is cookie cutter.

Throw a couple "nerd bones" and bam, you've got a show about nerd culture. Swap them out, and bam you've got any other show on tv. Every show has a target.
The mistake is thinking the show is about "nerd culture". Its not. It's about guys who happen to be nerds and their relationships. The relationship problems aren't exclusively nerdcentric but universal. As I've said before, it's Friends with nerd references. You could just as easily drop in the names of the Friends characters into the plot. You could do it with the cast of Community as well. Maybe that does make that episode "cookie cutter". Other episodes might be harder to turn into installments of Two and a Half Men, Friends or Community.

No, its not a lame picking point. Your opening statement was about the lack of nerd refs in the episode. I feel otherwise.
Old February 11 2013, 07:37 AM   #52
sojourner
Admiral

You guys are missing something here. How did Leonard manage to avoid seeing the movies and also internet chatter before finally reading the book for that even to still be a spoiler?

Hell, I'm not a Potter fan, but I've at least seen the movies and read online all the major plot points without having opened the books.

I personally found it strange that he didn't know the spoiler already. It's just one of the many details the writers get wrong on the show when dealing with "nerd culture".
Old February 11 2013, 11:38 AM   #53
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Let's 2.5 Men this:
The plot revolved around [Alan] being spoiled by [Charlie/Ashton] regarding a plot point in a Harry Potter book (not nerdy in the slightest). In response, he decides to move out, into [current whats-her-face]'s apartment. This opens up the door for [current slut] to move in to [Charlie/Ashton's house]. Ultimately, the issue is resolved by [what's-her-face] and [Charlie/Ashton]'s mutual desire to not live with their S.O., and status quo being returned. A subplot involves [Jake] being forced to spend the weekend with [Charlie's mother], who smothers him much to his discontent. [I dunno, some minor characters, maybe Judith and Herb] attend a retreat for [Judith/Herb's] company and attempt to have Cirque Du Soleil sex.

Wow, that was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. I could probably sell that script to any number of sitcom shows...
Psssh, yeah like Alan would ever willingly move out

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:37 PM   #54
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

You guys are missing something here. How did Leonard manage to avoid seeing the movies and also internet chatter before finally reading the book for that even to still be a spoiler?

Hell, I'm not a Potter fan, but I've at least seen the movies and read online all the major plot points without having opened the books.

I personally found it strange that he didn't know the spoiler already. It's just one of the many details the writers get wrong on the show when dealing with "nerd culture".
They mostly get it right. At least from this nerd's experience. They probably used Potter because it's owned by Warner and would be more recognizable to the audience.
Old February 11 2013, 09:28 PM   #55
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

They mostly get it right. At least from this nerd's experience. They probably used Potter because it's owned by Warner and would be more recognizable to the audience.
I agree with your position on Harry Potter -- its nerdy no matter when it is read or viewed.

But I disagree with your take above about BBT usually getting it right. I watch the reruns a lot and I am always taking notice of how the show reveals who it's audience is (mainstream read: "older" non-nerds) with little things.

There was one episode where they used a Batleth. Every time they mentined it, it was called a "Klingon" Batleth. If a Batleth had ever been used on Community, I doubt the producers would have felt the need to identify the weapon so that the audience had some frame of reference. "Klingon" is much more identifiable than "Batleth".

In another episode, Summer Glau made an appearance. They mentioned the Sarah Conner Chronicles more than once. I don't think they mentioned Firefly at all, but then that is the show for which she is best known in the nerd community and that is not the audience to which BBT is geared.

The show tries way to hard to make the characters appear to be "of" nerd culture and too often fails.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 10:30 PM   #56
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
In another episode, Summer Glau made an appearance. They mentioned the Sarah Conner Chronicles more than once. I don't think they mentioned Firefly at all, but then that is the show for which she is best known in the nerd community and that is not the audience to which BBT is geared..
To be fair, I believe the Terminator show was currently airing when that episode first aired. No doubt Glau wanted to promote her current show more than the one that had already been cancelled . . . which makes sense.

Plus, here's the thing: despite what some fans might think BBT should be, the show is a network sitcom aimed at general audiences and is not intended to be enjoyed by nerds only. So, yeah, all other things being equal, it's only smart to go with "nerdy" references that the whole audience will recognize rather than deliberately go with something more obscure than only hardcore geeks will appreciate. What's the point of making a FARSCAPE joke that nobody but nerds will get when a STAR WARS joke will work just as well?

It's all about when tailoring your material to your audience. When I'm speaking at a Trek convention I can refer casually to "Journey to Babel" and "Amok Time" and assume that the audience will get the references. But if I'm speaking at a public library or elementary school, I'm going to assume a less specialized knowledge base--and talk more about Superman than, say, The 4400 . . . .

And, no, that's not "dumbing it down." It's about communicating effectively with your audience--and not trying to be deliberately obscure just for the sake of showing off your nerd cred.

You don't get points for leaving ninety percent of your audience in the dark . . .
Old February 11 2013, 11:34 PM   #57
Bah Humbug
Admiral

The only thing that I know about Harry Potter is that there is a school for witchcraft and a girl named Hermione. I haven't read any books or seen any of the movies. I just have zero interest in it. I can't be the only one.
Old February 12 2013, 03:33 AM   #58
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
The only thing that I know about Harry Potter is that there is a school for witchcraft and a girl named Hermione. I haven't read any books or seen any of the movies. I just have zero interest in it. I can't be the only one.
Nobody is "the only one" with zero interest in something. But Harry Potter is part of popular culture now, so a general knowledge of what it's all about is rightfully expected. Otherwise it would be impossible to make any reference to anything at all.
Old February 12 2013, 03:57 AM   #59
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Welcome to the club!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 03:14 PM   #60
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

That's like saying that Star Trek has a ship and a guy with pointed ears. Technically correct, but next to useless in characterizing it.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote