RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,924
Posts: 5,389,472
Members: 24,719
Currently online: 501
Newest member: OkLewis

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 11 2013, 02:36 PM   #16
Shawnster
Fleet Captain
 
Shawnster's Avatar
 
Location: Clinton, OH
Re: Bones in charge

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I don't care if it makes complete sense and I don't care about what happens in the US Navy. I think it would have fun and interesting to see McCoy in command.
I just watched "This Side of Paradise." When Kirk leaves to track down Spock, he leaves McCoy in charge of the landing party.

Of course, we see no scenes of McCoy giving any commands. All we see is DeSalle bring the spore plants to McCoy. Next thing we know, our good doctor is more concerned about being in charge of Mint Julips.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 02:40 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Bones in charge

^^if memory serves, that was because McCoy wasn't at least a Captain.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 02:41 PM   #18
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Bones in charge

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Military realism or not, TOS Starfleet apparently does have rules whereby rank alone does not qualify an officer to take command, and McCoy is not qualified. It was stated in "A Taste of Armageddon," when McCoy tells Scotty what he might do if he was "an officer of the line."
That can be corrected with only one line of dialogue.
Could be, but it would be an inconsistency, so better it wasn't.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 02:55 PM   #19
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Bones in charge

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Could be, but it would be an inconsistency, so better it wasn't.
It would have been interesting to watch, so to hell with consistency.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:12 PM   #20
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Bones in charge

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Could be, but it would be an inconsistency, so better it wasn't.
It would have been interesting to watch, so to hell with consistency.
That's the attitude of some; I would say it should be possible to write stories that fit within a show's established rules yet still be interesting to watch. The more a show contradicts its internal consistency, the harder it is for the audience to suspend disbelief.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:29 PM   #21
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Bones in charge

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
That's the attitude of some; I would say it should be possible to write stories that fit within a show's established rules yet still be interesting to watch. The more a show contradicts its internal consistency, the harder it is for the audience to suspend disbelief.
Star Trek is probably the worst example one could use, actually. The show kept contradicting itself and was constantly creative and interesting to watch.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:59 PM   #22
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Bones in charge

Why would McCoy be so interesting to watch in command? Either he'd be incompetent, which would just highlight Kirk's strength or he'd be competent, and it wouldn't matter that it was McCoy in command because any other character would be able to deliver the same lines. So, what could possibly be interesting to watch? McCoy might swear more, I suppose....
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 04:11 PM   #23
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Bones in charge

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Star Trek is probably the worst example one could use, actually. The show kept contradicting itself and was constantly creative and interesting to watch.
Well, the more it contradicts itself, the less I like it. YMMV. At any rate, this is not pertinent to the OP; McCoy was not eligible to command a ship and that was never contradicted.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 04:11 PM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Bones in charge

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Why would McCoy be so interesting to watch in command? Either he'd be incompetent, which would just highlight Kirk's strength or he'd be competent, and it wouldn't matter that it was McCoy in command because any other character would be able to deliver the same lines. So, what could possibly be interesting to watch? McCoy might swear more, I suppose...
I think it's obvious. "The Galileo Seven" is an episode about what happens when Spock is in command, how he uses logic and what he does when logic fails him. It was interesting. McCoy is the other side of the coin, an episode based on a similar premise may have been interesting as well.

If you think McCoy is just a generic character whose swearing is the only identifiable trait, I'd say that you probably haven't watched enough Star Trek.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Bones in charge

Hey, now, there's no need to impugn my experience watching Trek. I've seen it all. What I'm saying is that McCoy in command would be either something like Commodore Stocker's experience in the chair, or it would be like Scott's or Sulu's. Scott and Sulu are trained and experienced in command, and so either watching McCoy in a "Galileo"-type would be like watching Scott or Sulu do the same, because they're all passionate, volatile humans, or it'd be like watching Stocker try to command - awkward and scary.

Besides, McCoy is not a line officer. Doctors don't command ships. If somehow he ended up in command, then there must not be any experienced officers around, so who would he be commanding? The computer?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:41 PM   #26
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Bones in charge

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Hey, now, there's no need to impugn my experience watching Trek. I've seen it all. What I'm saying is that McCoy in command would be either something like Commodore Stocker's experience in the chair, or it would be like Scott's or Sulu's. Scott and Sulu are trained and experienced in command, and so either watching McCoy in a "Galileo"-type would be like watching Scott or Sulu do the same, because they're all passionate, volatile humans, or it'd be like watching Stocker try to command - awkward and scary.

Besides, McCoy is not a line officer. Doctors don't command ships. If somehow he ended up in command, then there must not be any experienced officers around, so who would he be commanding? The computer?
You're seeing things from an 'in-universe' perspective, I'm seeing things from a dramatic perspective, where everything is possible if it serves the plot or the characters.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:59 PM   #27
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Bones in charge

Then you come up with a scenario where McCoy ends up in command. Maybe Kirk could send McCoy out in a shuttle craft with a bunch of Vulcans, and then the Vulcans could continually question McCoy's authority and competence to command until his final desperate decision to save them is the one logical choice that is most probable to save them.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:01 PM   #28
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Bones in charge

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Then you come up with a scenario where McCoy ends up in command.
You just did.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:05 PM   #29
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Bones in charge

Yes, and it's a very original one, too. Do you watch "The Galileo Seven" on an endless loop, or do you watch the other episodes, sometimes, too?

Are you interested specifically in seeing McCoy in command, or just in a fish-out-of-water scenario?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:07 PM   #30
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Bones in charge

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Yes, and it's a very original one, too. Do you watch "The Galileo Seven" on an endless loop, or do you watch the other episodes, sometimes, too?

Are you interested specifically in seeing McCoy in command, or just in a fish-out-of-water scenario?
The dream of watching McCoy in command is pretty much the only thought that's keeping me alive.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.