Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 10 2013, 07:51 PM   #5791
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

but...but Aquaman and Earth Two are great IMO.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 11:51 PM   #5792
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I've been enjoying all of the Batman books, Snyder is doing phenomenal work, but I've been impressed by The Dark Knight which is separate from the main stories and has been telling some really eerie stories.
Old February 11 2013, 01:36 AM   #5793
Mr Light
Admiral

I did initially like it because it was using a lot of characters that were being ignored in the main DCU, and I liked the Darkseid invasion backstory, but all the issues after the opening arc were just utterly uninteresting to me, and like I said I'm trying to cut down on my addiction so if it's something I don't look forward to reading I'm dropping it

I am sticking with World's Finest mainly for the art, but I do like the Power Girl / Huntress pairing, particularly since they're from another Earth. I just wish they would bring back the old Power Girl costume. The new one is almost as bad as the new Supergirl costume

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 01:39 AM   #5794
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

If you look at the May solicitations link that Gov Kodos posted earlier in the thread, it looks like Worlds' Finest is indeed going back to the pre-New 52 Power Girl Costume.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:00 AM   #5795
Mr Light
Admiral

Hooray!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:40 AM   #5796
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Hooray! Hooray!!
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:56 AM   #5797
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I honestly don't like the old Power Girl costume, the current one is nicer.

Currently I'm picking up:

Action Comics
Detective Comics
Smallville "Season 11" (Non N52 universe.)
World's Finest
Batgirl
Batman
Aquaman
Superman
Supergirl

Recently dropped:
Dial H (it wasn't holding my interest. Too out there and just wasn't going anywhere.)
Earth 2 (not much going on it either to keep me going.)
The Dark Knight (dropped mostly due to it not holding my interest and me needing to thin out my pulls.)

On the verge of dropping:
Flash. (Mostly, again, on needing to thin out my pulls and The Flash just isn't a character I find to be a "must read." Will drop it when the current arc/story line ends.)

As said above, I need to collect the issues of Justice League and Superboy that deal with the current arcs. (H'El on Earth and Throne of Atlantis, respectively.)

NON-DC:
TMNT

NON-DC.... WTF?!
Ghostbusters. It's odd what happened here, it's was a good comic but the current iteration Ghostbusters... ended? And a new book took its palce called "The New Ghostbusters" in which Peter, Ray, Egon and Winston have been "kidnapped" by ghosts into the afterlife/another dimension. Janine recruits a new group of Ghostbusters to take their place (including a rival group of "ghost hunters" in a previous arc) until the guys return.

This was and odd occurrence in what has been an otherwise good comic. First of all the main draw is now gone (that being the titular characters we buy the comic to see) but the name of the comic changed which impacted the automatic pulls from my ComiXology account. It seems implied the "real guys" may come back sooner or later, at which point I'll likely pick up the comic again but the choices made here are odd.
Old February 11 2013, 04:10 AM   #5798
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Regarding book dropping, I've dropped a good deal of the New 52 books. The only ones I'm continuing to buy:

DC
Batwing (eventually might go the trade route)
I, Vampire (I'll go ahead and finish it out despite the cancellation)
Aquaman (actually in the process of dropping; it's been a slow process)
Suicide Squad (I need to drop this one, but Adam Glass keeps bringing me back)

Special Mention
Green Arrow: I really liked Lemire's first issue. Green Arrow I might buy or just wait to pick up as a trade.

Marvel
Ultimate Spider-Man (skipped the last issue and probably will drop; I like it for the most part still, but it's too expensive)
New Avengers (probably will just wait for equally expensive trade)
Fearless Defenders (liked the first issue, but iffy on whether I will buy more)

Walking Dead (I just pick this up as a trade)
Invincible (now that they've hit the 100# issue, I'll probably drop)

Dark Horse
Surprisingly I'm not reading any of the Star Wars books out right now. Was really into Darth Maul: Death Sentence and I picked up most of the Lost Tribe books.

Valiant
Shadowman (really liked the first issue, but I'm waiting on the trade)

Indies
Caligula: Heart of Rome
The Spider (probably will drop, though I would like to pick up the trades, not saying I will though)
Masks (already dropped)
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:53 PM   #5799
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

There's chatter that Damian Wayne is going to die in Batman, Incorporated #8.

While I don't want to see that happen -- Damian has really grown on me over the years, though I think he worked better with Dick than with Bruce -- I realize that Morrison has been building up to this for a long, long time. (Damian was supposed to die much earlier in Morrison's run, for what it's worth.)

If Damian does die, I'd hope we get an appearance by Stephanie.

First, she can relate to Bruce's feelings at losing a Robin -- since she was a Robin that he lost. (And if Damian dies, that means that Bruce lost three out of five to death. Never mind the fact that two of them "got better.")

Second, she treated Damian like her little brother and tried very hard to socialize him to the point where, outside of Bruce and Dick, she was the Batfamily member he had the most respect for.

Do I expect Stephanie to appear in a comic after Damian's (hypothetical) death? No. But it makes so much sense that she should that I feel like DC would be missing an opportunity.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:32 PM   #5800
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I've been hearing that. And Damian is conspicuously absent from all solicitations after Batman Inc #8. I hope it's not true. I really enjoy Damian.
Old February 11 2013, 06:36 PM   #5801
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I'm wondering how his death would link into the other books since they rarely seem to have any connection with Batman Inc.
Old February 11 2013, 06:42 PM   #5802
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Holy crap! Geoff Johns is leaving Green Lantern!

This is crazy. His Lantern run is what got me back in to comics. Whoever takes over has some huge shoes to fill.
Old February 11 2013, 07:01 PM   #5803
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'm wondering how his death would link into the other books since they rarely seem to have any connection with Batman Inc.
That's a good question. There have been little nods here and there, but it was easy to look at Batman Inc as its own self-contained thing. (I thought it was easier to read it that way, too.) But if Damian dies, I'd expect the other books (and the March solicitations are certainly suggestive) to deal with the fallout.

The character I'm really curious about now is Jason Todd. The recent reveal in Batman Inc that he's been operating as Wingman actually makes a few things make sense, like how the Outlaws are able to operate.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:07 PM   #5804
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Johns had a great run on GL but honestly, i think its time he did step back. IMO his GL hasn't been good since Darkest Night.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:10 PM   #5805
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^He still had some good stuff in his Brightest Day issues.

He really should have left after the end of the last volume.

I thought they were going to have to take it from his dying grasp.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Holy crap! Geoff Johns is leaving Green Lantern!

This is crazy. His Lantern run is what got me back in to comics. Whoever takes over has some huge shoes to fill.
Safe guesses imo are probably Bedard or Tomasi.

If they want to be bold, DnA, Lemire or one of the new slate of writers. In a related note, Frankenstein in Lemire's Animal Man became a GL.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote