RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,546
Posts: 5,421,948
Members: 24,804
Currently online: 406
Newest member: comicstar100

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 10 2013, 08:21 AM   #91
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Tron: Uprising

Yeah, the season finally was pretty good. I thought someone said it had already been canceled though. The viewer ship numbers probably wouldn't have been so bad if it had aired at a reasonable hour instead of midnight on Sundays.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:50 PM   #92
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Tron: Uprising

I kept through it to the end. The final episodes were very good, but most of the episodes before that felt a little shallow and time-wasting. I was hoping for a big elaboration on the world of the Grid, but it definitely suffered from small universe syndrome. Still, the graphics of the city and the technology were gorgeous!

Wikipedia says its canceled. Once they decided to burn off the rest of the episodes at midnight it was clearly dead already...
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 03:34 PM   #93
flavaflav
Commander
 
flavaflav's Avatar
 
Location: Illadelph
Re: Tron: Uprising

I thought the show was great. If it is indeed cancelled, that really stinks, but at least the last episode works as a finale. I would really have liked to see Disney air Tron Uprising after The Clone Wars once that switches channels. I think that would have helped Uprising's ratings tremendously.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 04:38 PM   #94
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Tron: Uprising

I don't think anyone is sure that the show is cancelled - at the Annie's (an animation award show), one of the staff gave a long speech about how they were still fighting to get the show done. Considering how Uprising could be used as a part of the Tron 3 marketing scheme, it seems like there's a possibility for it to survive. I'm not sure exactly how bad the ratings were, because I've heard conflicting maximum viewer numbers for Disney XD - on one hand, I've seen some of the live action stuff get 1 million+ viewers on rating sites, while on the other hand, I've heard that the total viewers for XD are around 400K, which makes Uprising's ratings much better.

As for Uprising, I felt that it ended pretty strongly, but there were a few aspects that were rushed, probably due to the odd episode count (18 for the season as opposed to 20). That said, I think the show did a good job of expanding the world through the visuals and making the characters pretty compelling, the latter being something live action genre shows have had a hard time doing lately. Between that and the way they serialized this show, I'm more inclined to come back to this over the latest crop of speculative fiction by other networks.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 05:19 PM   #95
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Tron: Uprising

The show did eventually win me over -- I hated its design style and jerky animation at first, but got used to them and became somewhat invested in the storytelling. But I think it was hampered in later episodes by a reluctance to modify the status quo. We got a bunch of episodes about Beck trying to recruit new members for the uprising and failing every single time. If you're going to put Uprising in the title of your show, you should include an actual uprising, which means a popular movement, not just one guy and his mentor. It would've worked better if we'd actually seen Beck build a following over the course of the season.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 06:18 PM   #96
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Tron: Uprising

Well to play the word origin game, uprising originally meant to rise from the grave or resurrection before it meant revolt so perhaps it's appropriate for this series after all. Additonally, the final act of rebellion in Tron is for one's disk to rise up and defeat the environment.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 06:47 PM   #97
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Tron: Uprising

Christopher wrote: View Post
The show did eventually win me over -- I hated its design style and jerky animation at first, but got used to them and became somewhat invested in the storytelling. But I think it was hampered in later episodes by a reluctance to modify the status quo. We got a bunch of episodes about Beck trying to recruit new members for the uprising and failing every single time. If you're going to put Uprising in the title of your show, you should include an actual uprising, which means a popular movement, not just one guy and his mentor. It would've worked better if we'd actually seen Beck build a following over the course of the season.
I can see where you're coming from, but I actually felt that was pretty clever and fit with one of the lines from the end of Beck's Beginning, where Tron's like "there'll be a lot of failures before we make progress." If there'd been a huge ground swell of support too early for what's essentially a one man rebellion, it would've cheapened the whole struggle to build the uprising, along with Beck's development. Beck's decision to not make Mara part of the uprising at the end of that episode showed that he was starting to mature as a leader, because he wasn't willing to risk the life of one of his most committed supporters (and friend) so early in the process, instead allowing her to keep on spreading the word and potentially swaying more programs to join the movement.

Plus I liked the fact that the good guys weren't really winning, just keeping their own against the occupation. It's a nice contrast with shows that go too far in having the good guys win too much or having them get shit on all the time. Having programs not join for their own personal reasons or just because they didn't have the right mindset also helped humanize the whole situation - honestly, how many people are really willing to give up their place in life in exchange for taking up a cause that could easily end in death? The fact that most potential recruits said "not for me" is a lot more realistic than having every one of them be totally into the cause from the moment they appeared.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 08:22 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Tron: Uprising

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Well to play the word origin game, uprising originally meant to rise from the grave or resurrection before it meant revolt so perhaps it's appropriate for this series after all. Additonally, the final act of rebellion in Tron is for one's disk to rise up and defeat the environment.
But for the past four centuries and more -- the entire history of Modern English and then some -- it's meant an insurrection or revolt. And we know that's what the creators of the series explicitly intended, since they repeatedly used the word "uprising" to mean an insurrection in actual onscreen dialogue. We were told in as many words that Beck and Tron's goal was to recruit people to join an uprising against Tesler and ultimately Clu. That was the overt mission statement of the show, and yet they kept having Beck fail to make any progress at it whatsoever.


bullethead wrote: View Post
I can see where you're coming from, but I actually felt that was pretty clever and fit with one of the lines from the end of Beck's Beginning, where Tron's like "there'll be a lot of failures before we make progress." If there'd been a huge ground swell of support too early for what's essentially a one man rebellion, it would've cheapened the whole struggle to build the uprising, along with Beck's development. Beck's decision to not make Mara part of the uprising at the end of that episode showed that he was starting to mature as a leader, because he wasn't willing to risk the life of one of his most committed supporters (and friend) so early in the process, instead allowing her to keep on spreading the word and potentially swaying more programs to join the movement.
And it would've been fine if they'd started with that but then had him gradually have some success as the season went on. Then there would've been an arc. As it was, every one of his attempts to win recruits in the final third of the season ended up in failure, and the one character who turned out to have been allied with Tron all along was killed off -- so not only was Beck right back where he'd started, but he'd actually lost ground. And that just feels like the standard conceit of an episodic TV series that doesn't want to mess with the status quo. It felt like the way TV was done decades ago, when everything had to be reset at the end, when the quest wasn't a genuine arc but just an excuse to move the character from situation to situation.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 08:24 PM   #99
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Tron: Uprising

the last five or six episodes were really great. but i'd say the show is finished. they moved it to midnight and i don't think its even on the Disney XD schedule any longer.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 11:38 PM   #100
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Tron: Uprising

Christopher wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
I can see where you're coming from, but I actually felt that was pretty clever and fit with one of the lines from the end of Beck's Beginning, where Tron's like "there'll be a lot of failures before we make progress." If there'd been a huge ground swell of support too early for what's essentially a one man rebellion, it would've cheapened the whole struggle to build the uprising, along with Beck's development. Beck's decision to not make Mara part of the uprising at the end of that episode showed that he was starting to mature as a leader, because he wasn't willing to risk the life of one of his most committed supporters (and friend) so early in the process, instead allowing her to keep on spreading the word and potentially swaying more programs to join the movement.
And it would've been fine if they'd started with that but then had him gradually have some success as the season went on. Then there would've been an arc. As it was, every one of his attempts to win recruits in the final third of the season ended up in failure, and the one character who turned out to have been allied with Tron all along was killed off -- so not only was Beck right back where he'd started, but he'd actually lost ground. And that just feels like the standard conceit of an episodic TV series that doesn't want to mess with the status quo. It felt like the way TV was done decades ago, when everything had to be reset at the end, when the quest wasn't a genuine arc but just an excuse to move the character from situation to situation.
The implication of the end of the finale (at least the part before Clu shows up) is that Able's garage crew (plus Bartik and Hopper) is now the core of a larger uprising, since they stood between Pavel and the Renegade, so for once, Beck got a clear victory, even though he lost a lot of people along the way. That said, I do agree that Beck probably should've had a few more successes along the way to balance things out, but I felt like his lack of success wasn't that big a negative since it fit the dark tone of the show.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 12:13 AM   #101
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Tron: Uprising

^Granted, my problem with the whole concept of the series is that we knew going in that the titular uprising was doomed to failure. It's kind of the same problem Star Wars: The Clone Wars has.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.