Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 8 2013, 04:19 PM   #31
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Crew familiarity

Dover wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Dover wrote: View Post
I'd think for the purposes of maintaining order, Dax would act her rank when on duty among other officers.
Order was maintained so how is that an issue?
In this case, yes, but I would think that the Trill have a code of behavior already in place for this situation, which would say that the Trill officer should conduct themselves in official Starfleet matters according to the rank of their current host. Just because it didn't cause strain among the officers in this case doesn't mean it's a good policy overall.

Everyone knows they have a history, and Sisko can call her Old Man as much as he wants, and she can call him Benjamin in more private situations all she wants, but for her to so openly flaunt her special relationship with the captain just seems rude (like is it really necessary to say, "Benjamin, I'm picking something up on the sensors"?). It's especially rude to Kira, who outranks her and still addresses the CO with respect, and it just seems like showing off to all the other officers of equal or lesser rank, who also have to address Sisko, Kira and their seniors with respect.

Obviously Sisko doesn't mind, but it makes me think less of Jadzia (I don't blame Ezri, she's just following the status quo). Sometimes Trills seem like old people who know what they're doing is rude, they're just like, "I'm old! I don't have to follow the rules!"
All this military protocol sounds completely absurd to me. They're colleagues and friends, I don't see any reason to separate the two. Seems quite hypocritical.
Old February 9 2013, 10:41 PM   #32
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

Yeah, Starfleet's never been shown to act like a typical modern military when it comes to the relationships between members of Starfleet. As I said before, it doesn't have to because it isn't really trying to emulate them. In Starfleet, behavior like Jadzia's is simply not considered rude.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 05:27 PM   #33
The Librarian
Commodore

Somehow I doubt that Kira is going to be too caught up with whether or not Dax uses Sisko's given name, seeing as how (a) her military experience up until the start of the show consists of being a terrorist, and (b) her culture has entirely different naming practices to begin with. That latter point may be why it's not a big deal to Starfleet - what does a Vulcan or Andorian care about which of their several names humans use with each other? As long as both people are okay with it (especially the higher-ranking one) I doubt Starfleet regulations care.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote