RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,181
Posts: 5,345,145
Members: 24,602
Currently online: 626
Newest member: krogoth21

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 10 2013, 11:20 AM   #316
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander
 
Captain Picard.'s Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: Going Veggie

I have a friend that is a veggie she is not very healthy because she does not like vegetables! I say to her you should not become a veggie because meat is the only thing that is keeping you healthy but she does not listen all she eats is junk food.
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 11:39 AM   #317
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Going Veggie

There's lots of stuff she could eat other than meat.

I'm having a veggie bacon sandwich with fried mushrooms and a free range egg for breakfast. Doesn't sound much like vegetables does it ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 11:46 AM   #318
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander
 
Captain Picard.'s Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: Going Veggie

But all she eats is cake and energy drinks. Before she went veggie she ate meat and was healthy. I am still trying to persuade her to go back.
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:00 PM   #319
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

Let me guess, she's a teenager.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:10 PM   #320
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander
 
Captain Picard.'s Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: Going Veggie

teacake wrote: View Post
Let me guess, she's a teenager.
No, she is 31
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:11 PM   #321
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

Well then, let her eat cake.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:19 PM   #322
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander
 
Captain Picard.'s Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: Going Veggie

I am just worried about her that is all
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:45 PM   #323
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

lurok wrote: View Post
The durian and dragonfruit are on this list: 9 bizarre fruits that belong in a SF movie.

Nice to see one called Gac! I think starfruits are pretty sf too.
Hey lurok did you see what it said about Gac?

"Also, be careful with the rinds, because they are super poisonous. "
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 02:09 PM   #324
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Going Veggie

Missed that as distracted by pretty pictures. But meh...all those fruit and veggies containing cyanide, I laugh in their face. Mmmm...cassava.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 03:22 PM   #325
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Going Veggie

Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
But all she eats is cake and energy drinks. Before she went veggie she ate meat and was healthy. I am still trying to persuade her to go back.
Then I'm sorry, but she's an idiot.

She doesn't need to eat meat to be healthy (in fact, from what you said, if she lived mainly on meat that's not very much healthier than cake and energy drinks), she just needs to eat more variety of foods and take a vitamin tablet or two.

I'm not the worlds biggest fruit and vegetable fan, but there is a lot of soya, quorn and other meat substitutes. In the last week I've had a chicken style pie, veggie bacon, veggie burgers, curries with rice, pasta with veggie beef pieces in a tomato and garlic sauce, stuff on toast, cheese and onion sandwiches, the list goes on and on. She can't live on cake. Amongst other things she will get scurvy - let's see if her Doctor spots that one ! Can't imagine he will have seen a case before.

It sounds to me as if her going veggie may be masking some sort of eating disorder...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Last edited by Relayer1; February 10 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 04:56 PM   #326
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Going Veggie

Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
I have a friend that is a veggie she is not very healthy because she does not like vegetables! I say to her you should not become a veggie because meat is the only thing that is keeping you healthy but she does not listen all she eats is junk food.
Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
But all she eats is cake and energy drinks. Before she went veggie she ate meat and was healthy. I am still trying to persuade her to go back.
Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Let me guess, she's a teenager.
No, she is 31
Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
I am just worried about her that is all

It sounds like she's being very irresponsible. The problem isn't her not eating meat, it's not eating anything healthy. Vegetables and fruits provide vital nutrients the body needs to survive, but if all one eats are sweets, or meat, one is going to get very sick, very fast. She needs to eat fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, and grains, otherwise she's just going to get sicker. I do hope your friend changes her dietary habits. You say you're persuading her to go back, have you told her how concerned you are for her that she's not eating properly?
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:18 AM   #327
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

This is for you tsq because you were talking about prawns. I had this idea last week and just now put it together.

Green pepper sauteed briefly in minced garlic and sliced chillies, then with prawns and papaya added. Squirt of lime.



Preparation time under ten minutes. IT IS DELICIOUS.

The warmed papaya and prawn juice and chillie and garlic and papaya juice and.. well, it's good.

I think I've decided papaya is my favorite fruit.

The bottom of the bowl is a melange of juice..
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:44 PM   #328
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Going Veggie

^That does look delicious! A perfect summer meal, and I'm definitely going to try it! You reminded me, though; once I was out at dinner with my dad and we ordered prawns for our appetizer. They were huge, twice as big as the ones in your photo. My dad, who was born and raised in New Orleans, picked one of them up and examined it. Then he said, "You know, in New Orleans we don't have prawns. We call these shrimp."
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 04:04 PM   #329
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: Going Veggie

Green pepper gives me indigestion and papaya is wayyyyy too sweet for my taste. Love prawns though.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 09:38 PM   #330
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: Going Veggie

That sauteed shrimp looks delicious, teacake.

I had a pummelo as part of my breakfast today, for the first time, and was surprised to find how good it is. It's very much like a sweet red grapefruit but with a slightly different citrus flavor.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
beans, fruit, meatless, musical, vegetarian

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.