What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Xavier_Storma, Feb 7, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Which explains the reversed Union Jacks in the trailer. Did you know that there was a hidden swastika on the Union Jack?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, that image of Loki and the SHIELD guards was the first thing I thought of when I first saw that image of Harrison and the red shirts.

Mainly, it helped reinforce my theory, and indeed a very popular one that like Loki and the villain from Skyfall, Harrison allows himself to get captured as some convoluted part of his master plan.

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Don't forget the Joker. Our brave writers of Star Trek Into Darkness have said they were using the Dark Knight as inspiration in writing this movie.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Does that mean Uhura gets blowed up real good?

5. The Wormhole

Shit, you're right.

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Green Mile:
    http://www.haro-online.com/stuff/greenmi1.jpg

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, it's only a shot that's appeared in hundreds of movies.

Doubtless some folks will shortly discover that Abrams likes to move the camera in on actors for something that Nolan invented called "the close-up." :lol:

8. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's true.

I love GENERATIONS.

In fact the older I get, the more I come to appreciate the film (which I did not enjoy when it premiered... guess I was too young to understand it).

IMHO best film of the franchise, on par with the best episodes of Trek (you know, the ones without action, where they talk about all possible social themes, human rights etc.) :techman:

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't hate Generations but I think the film falls apart when Picard gets swept into the Nexus.

I never understood the either or aspect of Trek fandom. There are good action episodes, there are good non-action episodes. Without both types, Trek would be pretty dull.

10. Set Harth

It turns out that the reason some people hated Generations was because they didn't want to see Kirk die. It's kind of like not wanting to see Batman retire. Characters are supposed to eternally remain in some kind of status quo, I suppose. For my part, I spent the entire televised run of TNG wanting to know what happened to Kirk. :shrug:

11. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I did not mean to start another GENERATIONS discussion here, but since we are already at it...

If you lost someone you loved, you cared about, you were befriended with... this movie provides so much to cheer you up. Yes, this is not blockbuster TREK, and yes there are flaws in this film. But the theme of coping with loss, of letting go, of continuing has so much sensuality to it. I love it.
    Plus: McCarthy's score is epic. I know, most people do not like it, but it's unique in the series. As much as I love Goldsmith's music, McCarthy's score for GENERATIONS is larger than live (IMHO). Get the extended edition, since it features some of the best (previously unreleased) cues...

Now... back to topic.

Why don't you think it - the concept of a TREK team up - would work?

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, come to think about it, the way the seven came together in ST09, it is a team up this time. It's just not the type the OP had in minde. Like in the Justice League or the Avengers, each character brings a unique talent to the group that makes the group better than the sum of its individual parts. Each makes important contributions in his or her own way to solving a problem that would've have been solved by any of them as individuals.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

No. It's the same soulless, trite French horn masturbation he used in all three nineties series.

14. The Wormhole

I'll admit, I love Generations. It's my third favourite Trek film after TWOK and TUC. But even I think the teaming up of Kirk and Picard was overhyped and ended up being a bit anti-climatic. All it really is is a soul-searching horse ride and then they tag team to kick Soran's ass. I mean yes, I like these scenes, because they enojyable scenes not because it features two captains teaming up.

Honestly, crossovers have limited appeal to me. Sure it's a nice novelty to see characters from different series meet each other. But after the novelty wears off there's not much to it. And really, I found the movies featuring each of the heroes that comprse the Avengers more interesting and entertaining than The Avengers itself.

All you'd have to all Treks teaming up is just the novelty of characters meeting from the different shows. Which we've already had from all the various crossovers on the different shows anyway. Hell, Picard has met every other series Captain except for Archer.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Because no one but trekkies would care.

16. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

People cared about The Avengers. And the 09 film, a team-up too as Franklin explained.

17. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

But the ST09 "team" had a history (TOS) and the Avengers have a history of cartoons and comic books.

The Avengers also formed a perfect unit, just as the seven in ST09 are supposed to do. They're almost organic combinations.

An "all star" movie of captains and first officers wouldn't be like that at all. It would be too contrived. First, it would be contrived in how they get together from across time. Second, it would be contrived in how the "work" in solving the conflict is divided up (do we want Janeway to do this or Picard; should Sisko lead the ships into battle or Kirk; is someone the "leader" of the captains; should Archer be the ultimate hero or should it be Kirk).
    And, no clashes of egos among all them? We're pretending these are real people rather than freakish superheroes, after all. A coming together of this group may be rather nasty, really, or at least "un-Avenger-like."

18. Set Harth

The coming together of the Avengers got somewhat "nasty" in places, while most Trek captains come from Roddenberry's "can't we all get along" future.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I must have missed the solo films starring Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov and Scotty.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

So what?