RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,712
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 509
Newest member: fanficfan

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 10 2013, 04:26 AM   #16
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Pt2 *SPOILERS*

I didn't remember [Joker] shooting all those innocents like that though, that was really brutal.
The book was more brutal. in the book the Joker actually succeeded in murdering most of the people at the fair with poisoned cotton candy including large numbers of kids. That was left out of the cartoon. In a way I think leaving it out was a mistake. All those deaths in the book made Batman's ultimate decision seem more like his only choice.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 04:39 AM   #17
Christopher
Writer

the G-man wrote: View Post
All those deaths in the book made Batman's ultimate decision seem more like his only choice.
But his ultimate decision in the comic was

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 04:45 AM   #18
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I thought Emerson's performance as the Joker was quite outstanding. Best animated Joker since Mark Hamill.
Old February 10 2013, 05:16 AM   #19
the G-man
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
All those deaths in the book made Batman's ultimate decision seem more like his only choice.
But his ultimate decision in the comic was
Yes, but in the book, even that was presented as something fairly extreme and not what he'd chosen to do at any point in the preceding twenty years. Also, in the movie it was presented more as self defense than revenge or a preventative measure. In the book it came off more as the latter.

Also:

In any event, the entire thing was f***ing excellent! I actually enjoyed it even more than the last Nolan film. Well done.
Old February 10 2013, 06:37 AM   #20
Saul
Rear Admiral

But the Joker

Part 2 was great. I'm only disappointed that some of the more iconic images of the Superman Vs Batman fight weren't given more attention such as Bruce kicking Superman in the head. They did it on 'The Brave and the Bold' which was pretty cool.

Also another minor nitpick is that I still think the colors are too pale and washed out compared to the comic. But that just seems to be a trend in animation these days.
Old February 10 2013, 03:27 PM   #21
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I liked it better than part one. The animation was very crisp and neat. I liked the 80s nods, especially the Reagan, though he wasn't drawn so exaggeratedly in the film as he was in the comics. I thought everyone did very good voice work, especially Weller and Valley. I wasn't going bananas over Emerson's Joker. I liked how he was drawn, but I wish he had let loose a little more. He was a bit too restrained, IMO.

Some of my favorite scenes in part 2 were actually Yindel's hunt for Batman. I think by the time of the big climatic battle, I was starting to lose interest. Though it was done well enough. Perhaps my interest flagged in part because I've read the graphic novel a few times and knew what was going to happen. But for the most part it was an enjoyable film.

Intrigued by Superman: Unbound and will probably pick that one up when it comes out.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 08:46 PM   #22
the G-man
Commodore

Saul wrote: View Post
But the Joker

IIR the Graphic Novel correctly:

Also another minor nitpick is that I still think the colors are too pale and washed out compared to the comic.
Really? I thought the colors mirrored Lynn Varley's coloring almost perfectly.
Old February 10 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Wait, wait, this a Batman thread.... Did someone have to ruin the secret of Luke's father being VADER???????? Did not see that coming!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote