Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Episode Grade
A 6 75.00%
B 2 25.00%
C 0 0%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10 2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: MLP:FiM S3E12 - "Games Ponies Play" - Grading & Discussion

By the way, I'm mightily excited we got to see Dashie's Dad. Also, Doctor Whooves is in the crowd in Cloudsdale in the beginning of the episode. I approve.
Old February 10 2013, 01:00 AM   #17
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

"Rainbow Dad" needs to be his name.

This is the first episode in quite a while that I've watched twice on the same day. Haven't done that since, oh, Magic Duel, I think. Good times. Goooooood times.
Old February 10 2013, 01:20 AM   #18
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

It's a fun, breezy episode.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 01:52 AM   #19
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

J. Allen wrote: View Post
It reminds me a bit of the energy in The Last Roundup, where they keep gags and character beats coming at you fast. That style works really well for this show.

Plus, I'd have a hard time pinning this down as a Rainbow, Rarity or Twilight episode – and that's a good thing. They haven't used an A/B/C story structure in a long, long time and I missed it. The show is better when it juggles multiple character arcs as opposed to focusing on one pony and using the others for exposition or killing time.
Old February 10 2013, 01:57 AM   #20
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
It reminds me a bit of the energy in The Last Roundup, where they keep gags and character beats coming at you fast. That style works really well for this show.

Plus, I'd have a hard time pinning this down as a Rainbow, Rarity or Twilight episode – and that's a good thing. They haven't used an A/B/C story structure in a long, long time and I missed it. The show is better when it juggles multiple character arcs as opposed to focusing on one pony and using the others for exposition or killing time.
As a longtime fan of both the Monty Python series', and the Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker movies, I heartily agree!
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old February 10 2013, 02:42 AM   #21
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Count Zero wrote: View Post
By the way, I'm mightily excited we got to see Dashie's Dad. Also, Doctor Whooves is in the crowd in Cloudsdale in the beginning of the episode. I approve.
That is so cool! So now we know where she got her mane from! And I wonder if her mom is in the picture. If not, we know she was raised by her dad.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Loved every part of the episode, and the final touch of connecting to last weeks. A
Old February 10 2013, 06:36 PM   #23
TrekAlliance92
Captain

On first watch, I would have given this one a "B," but upon second watching, I'm bumping it up to an "A." Another great episode!

I liked who many of the characters had lots to do and good comedy. Pinkie was the comedy highlight for me, with the hilarious "Nooo!/Yessss!" dramatic running gag, her acting completely goofy to distract the "not"-inspector, and her squee after offering Cadence a cinnamon bun. Rarity was in great form first for her love the spa, then for her pushing Twilight away when trying to fix the headdress. It was cool to see Rainbow's father in the flashback, and her falling into the dome while Rarity thinks she hears something was really funny (I also got a kick out her saying "and, we're walkin'). Twilight being (mostly) calm was keeping in recent character development, and cute to boot. And, while AJ and Fluttershy didn't have too much to do, they were perfectly in character.

The guest pony was unique in that she got such a large focus. She was a nice, appealing character that was well-acted and had some unique quirks (for this show, at least) like being claustrophobic and nearly outrunning RD on land when getting free. I also got a kick out her flirting with Shining Armor--something you don't see much on this show often either. (The chase scene also had some great music from Will Anderson to boot.)

The linking with "Sidekicks" was fun at the beginning and the end.

A solid "A" right up there with "Crystal Empire, "Too Many Pinkie Pies" and "Magic Duel" for my favorites of the season. Now, I'm looking forward to the season finale!
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 06:40 PM   #24
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

I also have to agree about Twilight being in control, and it being adorable, especially the scene later where she's practically hyperventilating in an effort to keep that control.