New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 5 2013, 10:20 AM   #556
Rocketeer
Captain

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Camren wrote: View Post
I'm considering playing the free to play version of this. I don't play games online so not sure what to expect. What sort of interaction do you have with other players? The few vids I've seen on youtube makes this look just like KoTOR and the like. Where does the online aspect come into it?
Camrem, I'm new to SWTOR myself. There are advantages to being "social" with other players. You want to group up at least a couple of times so you get level 1 in Social, which allows you to buy Social Armor. That armor has slots for adding modifications. Another reason for grouping is that some loot doesn't seem to drop unless you're in a group. Plus some of the bosses that would spank you if you're by yourself crumble when confronted with just a little additional firepower.

I have a Trooper (Commando) that is wearing all the social gear except the chestpiece, which is for the Esseles Trooper (also a modable piece). I hide the silly hat and do a color scheme sync and it looks okay. :-)

I have 2 characters on Red Eclipse, a PvE English speaking European server. PM me if you plan to play on that server and want to link up.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 09:31 PM   #557
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

So, not finished the Jedi Knight storyline yet, but I've created a Smuggler to have some variety, and I like it quite a bit. Fun class, and the storyline so far has been good. The only problem is, I feel that Ord Mantell is a rather boring planet and doesn't make a good first impression in terms of a starting planet, so it's a good thing I didn't start a smuggler as my first character, otherwise I might have been put off by the drab look compared to colourful Tython. Went the gunslinger route.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 02:08 AM   #558
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Ord sucks.

Luckily it's the shortest of the starter worlds.
Old February 8 2013, 03:50 AM   #559
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, thank goodness for that. It didn't seem to be a very inspired design. There seemed to have more thought put into Tython.
Old February 8 2013, 01:21 PM   #560
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It's odd, the first time I played through Ord Mantell it felt huge. Going back there with a speeder to collect the datacrons it amazed me how tiny it actually is.

I actually suspect there was originally more to it and some quests were cut. There's an empty, out of the way area up by the shield generators that looks like it was intended to be for questing.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:43 PM   #561
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^You get sent there as part of another character class's storyline.
Old February 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #562
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Really? But there's nothing there. No interactive objects, no doors, elevators or phases. Nothing. Indeed you can only get there by jumping over the wall over on the north east corner of the main base, across from the spaceport. Are we talking about the same place?
Old February 9 2013, 03:00 AM   #563
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Hmmm, I may be thinking of another area. Regardless, there is an area you go to as one of the jedi classes for a mission. There was an area on the bounty hunter/imperial agent starter planet that was removed after beta. I remember it was quite buggy. Something similar may have happened to the area you're referring to, I didn't play Ord Mantell during beta.
Old February 9 2013, 04:15 AM   #564
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The "Secluded Island Facility" that the Jedi Knight visits during its class story is the northernmost part of the Ord Mantell map, on the top of the Oradam Peninsula.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 01:08 PM   #565
Whizzer
Lieutenant Commander

So update 1.7 is next tuesday, Reputation and a new Ilum Event are the main points.
Its going to be interesting if the game can handle Ilum PVP better then it did at the beginning of last year. Especially without it ever being on the Public Test Server...

And to brag a little, finally got the Warstalker title last week after trying to do so since release of EC NiM. Take that stupid Kephess and your stupid bleeds and annoying Trandoshan groupies...
Old February 9 2013, 11:44 PM   #566
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The "Secluded Island Facility" that the Jedi Knight visits during its class story is the northernmost part of the Ord Mantell map, on the top of the Oradam Peninsula.

Thanks for the map. It had been bugging me trying to remember where it had sent me as a Jedi. I could have sworn it sends you to Fort Garnik to meet a contact even though you arrive at the peninsula.
Old February 10 2013, 12:50 AM   #567
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I believe the order is: Arrival at Ord Mantell Orbital Station; visit an Intelligence agent at Fort Garnik; then infiltrate the Imperial facility on Oradam Peninsula.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 01:54 AM   #568
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post

Thanks for the map. It had been bugging me trying to remember where it had sent me as a Jedi. I could have sworn it sends you to Fort Garnik to meet a contact even though you arrive at the peninsula.
Yeah, the area I'm talking about is right where the lava flow overlook area meets the Fort Garnik and Avilatan Badlands areas. You get there by going down the main road through the fort, but turn right (west) instead of going left to the space port and there's some rocks in the corner you can use to climb up and over the perimeter wall. You can see the cluster of shield generators on the map.
Old February 11 2013, 12:55 AM   #569
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I believe the order is: Arrival at Ord Mantell Orbital Station; visit an Intelligence agent at Fort Garnik; then infiltrate the Imperial facility on Oradam Peninsula.

That sounds about right, though the funny thing is, I don't remember the facility at all. I remember it being a short jaunt that had you back on your ship soon after you meet your contact.
Old February 11 2013, 01:17 AM   #570
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Nope. There is a quest there.