RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,788
Posts: 5,217,638
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 799
Newest member: Doctor Who

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 9 2013, 06:41 PM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Sometimes I think about some of my favorite canceled shows. The easy example on this forum is Firefly. It was this little scifi show that only lasted half a season before it was canceled. Then, through some weird TV miracle, it continued to gain popularity. I personally never saw it (never even heard of it) until long after it had been canceled.

Over a few years of raging fans and sci-fi conventions and increasing DVD sales, the show was allowed to come back in the form of a movie in order to wrap up the story. The fans WON!

Now I think about Netflix and what they're doing with "Arrested Development." A new season will be available in May, and if it does well enough, we will also be getting a movie. Other shows that come to mind are Farscape, Futurama, and Family Guy (all were canceled and then brought back due to fan reactions).

It just makes me wonder: what if these shows were popular when they aired? What if all these fans that discovered these shows post-cancelation had discovered them when they were brand new? Where would these shows be? How many seasons more seasons would they have lasted? Would any of them still be going strong, or would we be complaining about how Firefly "jumped the shark" back in Season 5 when Zoe got turned into a Reaver and Jayne hooked up with YoSafBridgHelenBethany?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Sometimes I think about some of my favorite canceled shows. The easy example on this forum is Firefly. It was this little scifi show that only lasted half a season before it was canceled. Then, through some weird TV miracle, it continued to gain popularity. I personally never saw it (never even heard of it) until long after it had been canceled.

Over a few years of raging fans and sci-fi conventions and increasing DVD sales, the show was allowed to come back in the form of a movie in order to wrap up the story. The fans WON!

Now I think about Netflix and what they're doing with "Arrested Development." A new season will be available in May, and if it does well enough, we will also be getting a movie. Other shows that come to mind are Farscape, Futurama, and Family Guy (all were canceled and then brought back due to fan reactions).

It just makes me wonder: what if these shows were popular when they aired? What if all these fans that discovered these shows post-cancelation had discovered them when they were brand new? Where would these shows be? How many seasons more seasons would they have lasted? Would any of them still be going strong, or would we be complaining about how Firefly "jumped the shark" back in Season 5 when Zoe got turned into a Reaver and Jayne hooked up with YoSafBridgHelenBethany?

Hey, Season Six of FIREFLY was worth it for the musical episode alone . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Robert D. Robot
Captain
 
Location: Pre-Warp Civilization of New England
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Personally, I very much enjoyed the Farscape musical episode, "Once More, with Frelling".
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 08:00 PM   #4
jayceee
Commander
 
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Conversely, one could also look at "what could have happened" type scenarios, where a particular tv show was canceled sooner.

For example.

- What would have happened if the original Star Trek never had a season 3 ?
- Would Star Trek have become as popular? (Or would it have become another forgotten 60's tv show?)
- Would tv stations have aired any Star Trek reruns, with less episodes?
- etc ...
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

I think My So-Called Life jumped the shark with the 10th season time war.
Snaploud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:23 PM   #6
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Star Trek is an especially tricky one. If it had lasted any less than 3 years, it would run the risk of having too few episodes to be successfully syndicated. If it had run any longer than 3 years (and assuming that Season 4 would have been as dodgy as Season 3), it would run the risk of running itself into the ground.

As for Firefly, my current theory is that most of Joss Whedon's failures stem from an inability on his part to create a succinct sales pitch for his own work. After all, people tend to love all of his stuff. The difference between his successful & unsuccessful work is that the successful stuff can usually be summed up in one sentence.
Angel-- It's about a vampire who runs his own paranomal private detective agency.
The Avengers-- It's a bunch of superheroes.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer-- It's in the frickin' title!

On the other hand, I've watched nearly every single episode of Dollhouse and I still can't really explain what it was about. Even the show itself seemed to struggle in each episode to try to explain its own premise to its more dense viewers.

Firefly & Serenity can't really be explained briefly without sounding kinda stupid. Plus, the titles do nothing to convey what it's about.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

If only Heil Honey I'm Home! had succeeded, I'd be dating a supermodel now.

Because Chaos Theory.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I've watched nearly every single episode of Dollhouse and I still can't really explain what it was about. Even the show itself seemed to struggle in each episode to try to explain its own premise to its more dense viewers.

Firefly & Serenity can't really be explained briefly without sounding kinda stupid. Plus, the titles do nothing to convey what it's about.
Well said. I've seen the first four eps of Firefly and Serenity, and I have no idea what that franchise is about. I'm not sure it's really "about" anything. Seinfeld in space?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:12 PM   #9
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Firefly/Serenity is the embittered Confederate veteran roams the West (of Space,) until the South Rises Again....and Wins!
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

I always wondered about if FOX left Sliders alone and let the show run normally without any meddling. Would it go on for more than five seasons with all of the original actors. It may mean Jerry O'Connell wouldn't have showed up on Jerry Maguire, and that John Rhys-Davies wouldn't have been in the Lord of the Ring movies. I don't know if a more successful run would prevent Sabrina Lloyd from being part of the cast on Numb3rs which would have been years away.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:27 PM   #11
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Gaith wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I've watched nearly every single episode of Dollhouse and I still can't really explain what it was about. Even the show itself seemed to struggle in each episode to try to explain its own premise to its more dense viewers.

Firefly & Serenity can't really be explained briefly without sounding kinda stupid. Plus, the titles do nothing to convey what it's about.
Well said. I've seen the first four eps of Firefly and Serenity, and I have no idea what that franchise is about. I'm not sure it's really "about" anything. Seinfeld in space?
Well, it's not about nothing. The episodes do have distinct plots. It's just that its too complicated to explain to a neophyte exactly what the show is and what kind of good guys these are. "Like, the Serenity is basically a cargo ship but many of the crewmembers are criminals or fugitives or veterans of the losing side in a civil war. Sometimes they steal things but only for good reasons. And it's in space but it's the old west and people often swear in Chinese for no reason. And there's this woman who's like a prostitute but she insists that she's really a 'companion.'"

For that matter, there's a certain vein of prostitution in Dollhouse as well. And, again, the show really tries to sidestep the issue because Joss Whedon seems oddly interested in the idea of women who have sex for a living yet can't bring himself to actually vindicate the sex trade.

In fact, one of the big problems with describing either show is trying to sort out whether the main characters are heroes or criminals. While moral ambiguity is fine, I don't think you can make that the very 1st impression that you're show makes. I mean, even though Buffy & Angel had their own dark sides, you never doubted that these were heroes who were always at least trying to do the right thing.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Firefly is basically the same as Farscape - a ship full of squabbling, charismatic losers/outsiders bop around space and try to survive, while dodging The Man. Just goes to show that if the situation, characters and style are different enough, you can do two versions of the same premise and both are perfectly welcome, without any glaring overlap that makes you wonder why there needs to be two such shows at all.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I've watched nearly every single episode of Dollhouse and I still can't really explain what it was about. Even the show itself seemed to struggle in each episode to try to explain its own premise to its more dense viewers.

Firefly & Serenity can't really be explained briefly without sounding kinda stupid. Plus, the titles do nothing to convey what it's about.
Well said. I've seen the first four eps of Firefly and Serenity, and I have no idea what that franchise is about. I'm not sure it's really "about" anything. Seinfeld in space?
Well, it's not about nothing. The episodes do have distinct plots. It's just that its too complicated to explain to a neophyte exactly what the show is and what kind of good guys these are. "Like, the Serenity is basically a cargo ship but many of the crewmembers are criminals or fugitives or veterans of the losing side in a civil war. Sometimes they steal things but only for good reasons. And it's in space but it's the old west and people often swear in Chinese for no reason. And there's this woman who's like a prostitute but she insists that she's really a 'companion.'"
.
I'm not sure you really need to explain all that at first. How about:

"The colorful and vaguely disreputable crew of a small commercial spaceship try to make a living among the rough-and-tumble frontier worlds on the outer fringes of an interplanetary civilization."
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:30 AM   #14
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Lovable bandits on a spaceship?
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 12:31 AM   #15
FarStrider
Commander
 
FarStrider's Avatar
 
Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Let's see, if you consider Mal the primary hero, then this is a good logline: After fighting on the losing side of a civil war, a disillusioned smuggler is forced to revisit his ideals by a pair of innocent fugitives as he hides them from the oppressive government.

If you consider Simon the primary hero, then this could work: A naive, young doctor must trust mercenaries and smugglers, giving up everything he once believed, if he is to save his damaged sister from the government that made her into a weapon.

Either way, it is not that hard to boil Firefly down to one sentence.

~FS
__________________
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. . . "
FarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.