Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 9 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise Model

I have started a White House petition to re-restore, preserve, and move the 11-foot, original Enterprise model to the Museum of American History, a more fitting home for the ol' girl.

Sign at the link below. It is not public until there are 150 sigs. Publicize this and share the link if you agree with the idea. Be well!

http://wh.gov/pewY
Old February 9 2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

I signed it Tell me more about it. Have you got a picture of it?
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, I will take a look
Old February 9 2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Robert Comsol
Commodore

(since I reside outside the US I can't participate but I believe many fans of the international Trek community would also say "Make it so! Warp Speed!")

plynch wrote: View Post
Now it looks like a kid took a magic marker to it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200612191...prise1991.html
Ouch...that shot makes it look as if the Enterprise does belong to Spider-Man but not Captain Kirk. I guess Spock remotely resembles the Green Goblin.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
plynch
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
(since I reside outside the US I can't participate but I believe many fans of the international Trek community would also say "Make it so! Warp Speed!")

plynch wrote: View Post
Now it looks like a kid took a magic marker to it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200612191...prise1991.html
Ouch...that shot makes it look as if the Enterprise does belong to Spider-Man but not Captain Kirk. I guess Spock remotely resembles the Green Goblin. :roll eyes:

Bob
You're right, that was too snarky. I deleted it. In the petition I thanked the 1991 restorer for his work though I and others are not satisfied with it. That's a true thing, but no need to get rude. My apologies to Mr. Miarlecki and others.
Old February 9 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

Malware was detected just when I logged into the forum that petition was the last thing I gave my email to someone has been trying to hack me.
Old February 9 2013, 10:18 PM   #7
plynch
Commodore

Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
Malware was detected just when I logged into the forum that petition was the last thing I gave my email to someone has been trying to hack me.
Not sure I follow.
Old February 9 2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

Someone might of been trying to steal my identity but it does not matter now carry on
Old February 9 2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Dream
Admiral

Who owns the original model right now?
Old February 9 2013, 10:43 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I appreciate the idea of moving it to a more prominent location than the back of the gift shop, but I don't support the proposal to move it to the Museum of American History. After all, Star Trek inspired a whole generation of astronauts and engineers. And the prototype Space Shuttle was named after the Enterprise. It's an important part of aerospace history in its own way. More than that, it's not just a symbol of America, but of humanity's aspirations in space, since it featured a multinational crew. So it belongs in the National Air & Space Museum, where it's always been. No other site would be appropriate. It just needs to be restored to a more prominent location, like where it was originally displayed in the '70s and '80s.

And I'm not sure about the "artistic license" claim in the petition. I've heard it suggested that the miniature originally had more detail that didn't show up clearly onscreen due to the FX process causing a loss of image resolution, and which had faded by the time the ship was initially put on display, and that the intent of the Miarecki restoration was to recreate that original detail, to match the way the miniature actually looked rather than the way it appeared in the finished, somewhat degraded FX shots. I don't know for sure if that's the case, but I think there's enough doubt on this issue that I don't want to take a side on it. A petition like this should not be partisan. Asking for a restoration that's as accurate as possible, based on objective historical research and reconstruction, would be fine, but frankly the current wording feels biased. I mean, how do you even define "its onscreen appearance" when half the time the compositing process made it look green or blue or caused parts of the nacelles to blink out? I'm not sure that even constitutes a valid standard.

So I'm afraid I simply cannot agree with the current wording of the petition. It's got the right idea in some respects, but I don't like the specifics.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:45 PM   #11
plynch
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
Who owns the original model right now?
We the people. It's in the Smithsonian's Air and Space museum in the gift shop's lower level. The 1991 paint job has vey dark gridlines, and gravity is causing it to come apart. See the nearby thread on the 11-footer for great info on its history, and many pics.
Old February 9 2013, 10:47 PM   #12
plynch
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I appreciate the idea of moving it to a more prominent location than the back of the gift shop, but I don't support the proposal to move it to the Museum of American History. After all, Star Trek inspired a whole generation of astronauts and engineers. And the prototype Space Shuttle was named after the Enterprise. It's an important part of aerospace history in its own way. More than that, it's not just a symbol of America, but of humanity's aspirations in space, since it featured a multinational crew. So it belongs in the National Air & Space Museum, where it's always been. No other site would be appropriate. It just needs to be restored to a more prominent location, like where it was originally displayed in the '70s and '80s.

And I'm not sure about the "artistic license" claim in the petition. I've heard it suggested that the miniature originally had more detail that didn't show up clearly onscreen due to the FX process causing a loss of image resolution, and which had faded by the time the ship was initially put on display, and that the intent of the Miarecki restoration was to recreate that original detail, to match the way the miniature actually looked rather than the way it appeared in the finished, somewhat degraded FX shots. I don't know for sure if that's the case, but I think there's enough doubt on this issue that I don't want to take a side on it. A petition like this should not be partisan. Asking for a restoration that's as accurate as possible, based on objective historical research and reconstruction, would be fine, but frankly the current wording feels biased. I mean, how do you even define "its onscreen appearance" when half the time the compositing process made it look green or blue or caused parts of the nacelles to blink out? I'm not sure that even constitutes a valid standard.

So I'm afraid I simply cannot agree with the current wording of the petition. It's got the right idea in some respects, but I don't like the specifics.
No prob. The descriptor limits one to a number of characters, like twitter. One does what one can. Be well.

Edit: sorry for the double post, peeps.
Old February 9 2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

^I don't understand your reply. My issues are with the substance of the petition, not its length.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:10 PM   #14
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I agree, it definitely belongs in the Air & Space Museum, but as a real exhibit. I was so disappointed when I discovered it was in the gift shop! Looked more like a marketing display than a piece of history.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Dream
Admiral

The National Air & Space Museum paid for the model right? They should to do as they wish. At least they are displaying it instead of storing it in box. What gives the government the right to take the model away from them?