Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old February 8 2013, 06:18 PM   #3166
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

SilentP wrote: View Post
As for automating powers, may be able to do the same thing as you can with weapons, i.e. right click the activate icon so it has a green border and will continue to activate after the first use.
This did not work with crew abilities, but I didn't know how to set autofire on the weapons, either, so between that....
Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
^I just put weapons on autofire, and used my left hand to steer, right hand to activate powers with the mouse.
....and this, I think I've got a working strategy for running everything. Thanks guys.
Old February 8 2013, 09:04 PM   #3167
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Refresh my memory how to enable autofire. I nominally maneiver with my right hand and fire with my left.
Old February 8 2013, 10:21 PM   #3168
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

I steer with the keyboard keys and hit the fire all button with my mouse with all weapons on autofire.

Right-click on your weapon to set it to auto-fire, it's border should blink green when activated.
Old February 9 2013, 12:59 AM   #3169
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the tip. it makes things easier.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
Old February 9 2013, 07:54 AM   #3170
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

So the only way to get Omega marks is to do "team-up" missions? Is that correct?
Old February 9 2013, 08:02 AM   #3171
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

No. You can gather Omega Marks on Defera solo, just not as fast.
Old February 9 2013, 03:17 PM   #3172
Mage
Commodore

I haven't played STO in a while, because of some issues with internet being really slow. Now that that's fixed, I wanted to try again.

During loading, my Windows Firewall pops up and blocked something called GameClient.exe by Cryptic. Can I allow this through my firewall, or is it something hazardous??
Old February 9 2013, 03:29 PM   #3173
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

You can allow it access to the internet. The game client is the interface that connects to the cryptic game servers.
Old February 9 2013, 04:04 PM   #3174
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Ahhh...this is my first time at Defera. Very cool. It's nice to do ground combat without the confusion of my landing party around. Also feels like a real MMO* with other players running around helping each other. I played for about 8 months, then quit, and was daunted by trying to relearn the game, but I think I've got the hang of it again.

*Of course the level of the MMO experience is up to me. I just don't like teaming up with others (except for the red alert), but the random appearance of a real person is very cool.
Old February 9 2013, 09:21 PM   #3175
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

So besides an amount of Zen per month, what else do subscribers get that F2Pers don't?
Old February 10 2013, 02:44 AM   #3176
intrinsical
Commodore

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
So the only way to get Omega marks is to do "team-up" missions? Is that correct?

Just be aware that "not quite as fast" is an understatement.

Once you get good at group-based STF missions, you can easily earn close to 300 Omega Marks, 3000 Dilithium and a nice handful of change in under an hour's time. To earn the same amount on Defera would probably take a full week's worth of effort.

Having said that, STFs can be challenging and difficult and at times frustrating to less experienced players. There are players who will shout at you if you don't know what to do. For someone starting to play STFs for the first time, I suggest first playing STFs with your guild or any friends you have. Have them show you what to do, what not to do. Above all else, do not join public (random) STF groups as you usually get a bunch of inexperienced players who won't know what to do, resulting in failure.
Old February 10 2013, 02:48 AM   #3177
intrinsical
Commodore

So besides an amount of Zen per month, what else do subscribers get that F2Pers don't?
I'm just going to quote what I've said a couple of weeks ago:

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
I'v dropped it now though might return to it, what do you get if you have a paid sub? do you think its worth it compared to the F2P model.
It really depends on how long you think you'll enjoy playing STO. This is the advice I give everyone who ask me this question: For STO, a monthly paid subscription isn't really worth its cost. If you really want to pay, there are two better options.

1) Pay for One Month - It is just a single payment of $15 and in exchange you permanently unlock all Gold Subscriber benefits including larger bank and inventory slots, an account-wide bank shared across all your characters, more bridge officer and ship slots.

2) Pay for Lifetime - Its a huge sum of money, but very well worth it if you know STO is the game that you enjoy so much that you want to play on a regular basis for at least the next 2-3 years. In return you not only get all the Gold Subscriber benefits, you also immediately get ALL Veteran Rewards from the moment you pay Cryptic.

Btw if you choose this option, know that Cryptic routinely offer lifetime subscription at a discounted price twice a year. That's the best time to purchase your lifetime subscription.
Old February 10 2013, 09:02 AM   #3178
Mage
Commodore

You can allow it access to the internet. The game client is the interface that connects to the cryptic game servers.
Thanks Timelord!!
Old February 11 2013, 12:46 AM   #3179
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

intrinsical wrote: View Post

Just be aware that "not quite as fast" is an understatement.

Once you get good at group-based STF missions, you can easily earn close to 300 Omega Marks, 3000 Dilithium and a nice handful of change in under an hour's time. To earn the same amount on Defera would probably take a full week's worth of effort.

Having said that, STFs can be challenging and difficult and at times frustrating to less experienced players. There are players who will shout at you if you don't know what to do. For someone starting to play STFs for the first time, I suggest first playing STFs with your guild or any friends you have. Have them show you what to do, what not to do. Above all else, do not join public (random) STF groups as you usually get a bunch of inexperienced players who won't know what to do, resulting in failure.
There's also the option of Normal STF's, which are not nearly as difficult, and the random groups generally can succeed, and even get the bonuses a lot of the time (though the bonus is what, four marks?). The rewards aren't nearly as good as Elite, but they are still faster than Defera, and you don't even have to talk to your team; as long as you have a clue as to what to do, you can almost always salvage a round with a horrible group by yourself.
Old February 11 2013, 07:10 AM   #3180
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

My other toon, Commander Tarah Esk Taval would like to join the TrekBBS Fleet;

Tarah@thekeyser49