RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,208
Posts: 5,346,607
Members: 24,606
Currently online: 579
Newest member: keykarta

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 9 2013, 12:37 PM   #31
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander
 
Captain Picard.'s Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

Janeway is a leader but she does not fit the role of a captain I see her more as an admiral.
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:37 PM   #32
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

He's not particularly original, though he is refreshing as a Vulcan who is not tormented with angst from being either half human or deeply flawed. He's an older mainstream Vulcan with hobbies (orchid growing), a family back in the Alpha quadrant he misses, a long term friendship in Janeway and some comfort zone challenges in the form of Neelix. He's one of the least dysfunctional Vulcans we see in Trek and a huge asset to the crew.

What did you see that was "bad"?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:38 PM   #33
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
I wish Sigourney Weaver was the captain instead of Kate Mulgrew I always wish she played her part.
SW's voice is not nearly annoying enough to be Janeway.

Besides, if she'd done VOY we wouldn't have had her in Galaxy Quest.



I can't see Janeway pulling this off.

Forget Weaver, let's put Janeway in that cleavage uniform!!!!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:44 PM   #34
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander
 
Captain Picard.'s Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

teacake wrote: View Post
He's not particularly original, though he is refreshing as a Vulcan who is not tormented with angst from being either half human or deeply flawed. He's an older mainstream Vulcan with hobbies (orchid growing), a family back in the Alpha quadrant he misses, a long term friendship in Janeway and some comfort zone challenges in the form of Neelix. He's one of the least dysfunctional Vulcans we see in Trek and a huge asset to the crew.

What did you see that was "bad"?
Yeah true he has got an interesting personal life and I like the on going situation with Janeway but his not really the most original. I think it might be me I have just taken a disliking to him I don't know when I talk to other people about him I describe him as an 'okay' character.
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:51 PM   #35
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

I liked it when Paris' antics got on Tuvok's nerves. They should have done more with that and focused less on the one-sided Paris/Kim friendship.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:53 PM   #36
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

stj wrote: View Post
How can the half-dozen Harry Kim episodes be such a problem? Cutting them out of the show wouldn't make it noticeably leaner or faster paced.
I wonder if Harry Kim would have been a better character, more effective, if they had made him more of a Miles O'Brien like character and only had him on the show occasional? And not had him as a ineffectual "Main Character?"

Harry was good in a small handful of episodes, isolate him to those.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:58 PM   #37
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I liked it when Paris' antics got on Tuvok's nerves. They should have done more with that and focused less on the one-sided Paris/Kim friendship.
I think we really see the effects of being trapped indefinitely on a ship of emotionally demonstrative people for Tuvok. It starts to wear him down.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 01:26 PM   #38
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

Amen to both comments
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 06:42 PM   #39
Udat
Rear Admiral
 
Udat's Avatar
 
Location: Zimbabwe
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

teacake wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
I liked it when Paris' antics got on Tuvok's nerves. They should have done more with that and focused less on the one-sided Paris/Kim friendship.
I think we really see the effects of being trapped indefinitely on a ship of emotionally demonstrative people for Tuvok. It starts to wear him down.
I guess a more personal story telling interaction between characters was needed, however personalised story-telling seemed only to become more apparent in BSG, before that Scifi series could always be a bit remote. Firefly has some personalised story telling aspects, someone is going to claim DS9 had all that, and indeed it did, but it never really floated my boat.
__________________
So What?
Udat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 09:05 PM   #40
DeepSpaceWine
Commander
 
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

I think Tuvok does smile in "Workforce". He might also in "Riddles" too.
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:27 PM   #41
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander
 
Captain Picard.'s Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

DeepSpaceWine wrote: View Post
I think Tuvok does smile in "Workforce". He might also in "Riddles" too.
Unfortunately I have not seen them yet but I will enjoy finally seeing him smile when I do
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:52 PM   #42
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

Udat wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
I liked it when Paris' antics got on Tuvok's nerves. They should have done more with that and focused less on the one-sided Paris/Kim friendship.
I think we really see the effects of being trapped indefinitely on a ship of emotionally demonstrative people for Tuvok. It starts to wear him down.
I guess a more personal story telling interaction between characters was needed, however personalised story-telling seemed only to become more apparent in BSG, before that Scifi series could always be a bit remote. Firefly has some personalised story telling aspects, someone is going to claim DS9 had all that, and indeed it did, but it never really floated my boat.
And when Trek did spend extra time on personal stories it gets called a soap opera. See DS9.

Science fiction is always having a big stress between how much is about what's outside the ship and how much is about what's inside.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 01:18 AM   #43
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

teacake wrote: View Post
Well I gotta ask.. what in the world did you not like about Tuvok?
Well, I didn't like the way the character was written, I didn't like Tim Russes portrayal and rather pathetically, I didn't like his hairline...

__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 01:32 AM   #44
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

Remember Horny Teen Tuvok from Gravity?

Or Romulan Tuvok from Meld?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:55 AM   #45
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

If you think Kim had a small role in the show, how do you feel about Mayweather?

Kim at least had lines.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.