Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 8 2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Metryq
Captain

Re: Is the opening section of GENS basically the best part of the movi

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Sadly, it probably is the best part of Generations. Which shall hopefully forever remain the shittiest Star Trek movie.
That scene is about all I remember, and vaguely at that. I saw GENERATIONS on Laserdisc. Watched the first side, then didn't bother to rewind the disc before returning it to the rental place.
Old February 8 2013, 12:46 PM   #17
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

From a standpoint of pure visual spectacle, I like the crash of the Ent-D.

As with James Bond, even the least of the STAR TREK movies has its moments. Granted, I can't think of the moment in NEMESIS off the top of my head.
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Robert Comsol
Commodore

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
As with James Bond, even the least of the STAR TREK movies has its moments. Granted, I can't think of the moment in NEMESIS off the top of my head.
I thought the VFX shot zooming in on the capitol of Romulus at the beginning was great (Well, that was the only reason I bought this DVD).

I didn't like the opening of GENERATIONS (what's with these stupid add-on bumpers on the Enterprise-C?), way to Kirk-centric you'd almost wonder if Bill Shatner was the director.

The entire (!) TOS crew gave us a beautiful, perfect good-bye at the end of Star Trek VI. What did Paramount do? Ruined and spoiled it with ST VII.

I think Mr. Plinkett made some comments worth listening to (I especially liked his observation of the last scene in Picard's ready room...unbelievable!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06WKYFYdlo (Beware, it could really spoil your appetite for the film).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 09:27 PM   #19
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

The Opening is the best part but even when I watch it nothing about it feels right. Shatner just comes off as Shatner and Doohan and Koenig do the best with what they are given. As with Star Trek V I just take this one off the shelf and bury it with the unwatchables.
CaptainMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 10:37 PM   #20
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Although it certainly wouldn't rank in my top five Trek movies, I actually like Generations a lot. The opening feels like an extended "cherry on the cake" appendix to TUC, love the saucer crash, Lursa and B'Etor are a bonus, enjoy the "emoting" Picard/Troi scene, Soran was pretty good, really like the whole Nexus sequence from Christmas to ravine jumping.

The cinematography and lighting is first rate, and McCarthy's underrated score is often sublime and quite beautiful in places. Other than Kirk's lacklustre demise, and the often bemoaned plot holes, there's a lot to enjoy in the film from my perspective.
Old February 9 2013, 12:19 AM   #21
Lance
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
(what's with these stupid add-on bumpers on the Enterprise-B?)
Why, it's just in case they rear-end a Romulan while cruising down the freeway, of course.

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Although it certainly wouldn't rank in my top five Trek movies, I actually like Generations a lot. The opening feels like an extended "cherry on the cake" appendix to TUC, love the saucer crash, Lursa and B'Etor are a bonus, enjoy the "emoting" Picard/Troi scene, Soran was pretty good, really like the whole Nexus sequence from Christmas to ravine jumping.

The cinematography and lighting is first rate, and McCarthy's underrated score is often sublime and quite beautiful in places. Other than Kirk's lacklustre demise, and the often bemoaned plot holes, there's a lot to enjoy in the film from my perspective.
I don't agree about Lursa and B'Etor (it was kind of cool to see some familiar faces as the baddies, but in context of their TNG appearances it made for a really lousy end to the whole Duras vs Worf saga that had been built up over five years or so); but I do agree about the cinematography and lighting. John A. Alonzo was an accomplished cinematographer who was nominated for academy awards for films like "Chinatown", a man who really knew his stuff. In lesser hands, "Generations" would have looked just like the television series but on the big screen... Alonzo is the man who made those old TNG sets look like a movie. He did some amazing work.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 03:50 AM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I didn't like the opening of GENERATIONS (what's with these stupid add-on bumpers on the Enterprise-B?)
They did that so they could show battle damage without permanently ruining the model of the ship. Notice how most of the damage to the Ent-B occurred right around those 'bumpers'? That's why they're there. They were made to be easily damageable (and removeable) but leaving very little damage on the actual ship model.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 04:00 AM   #23
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ Also the production team wondered if the Excelsior design was already "too familiar", and while everybody had long assumed that the Ent-B was an Excelsior Class ship, they still wanted to offer the audience something new. So they tweaked the design a little, just enough to make it look different, but not enough that it wasn't immediately recognisable as an offshoot of the Excelsior.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 09:52 AM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Lance wrote: View Post
^ Also the production team wondered if the Excelsior design was already "too familiar", and while everybody had long assumed that the Ent-B was an Excelsior Class ship, they still wanted to offer the audience something new. So they tweaked the design a little, just enough to make it look different, but not enough that it wasn't immediately recognisable as an offshoot of the Excelsior.
They should've left the Excelsior model alone. It ended up looking silly.
Old February 9 2013, 12:30 PM   #25
Mage
Commodore

Generations has some ups and downs, certainly. One of the biggest ups is indeed the entire E-B part of the movie, it works and has nice momentum. After that, it just goes up and down. Soran made no sense to me, Guinan I still can't stand. The Nexus, please....

But Lursa and B'Etor are fun to watch, the action was nicely done, the crash scene pretty intense.

But like the OP said, the beginning of the movie is certainly the best part.
Old February 9 2013, 05:07 PM   #26
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

I really liked Generations.

For those who don't, you might get a kick out of Confused Matthew's review:
http://confusedmatthew.com/Star-Trek-Generations.php
DavidLeeRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 06:06 PM   #27
JWD75
Commander

My problem with the Generations prologue is that whenever Scotty starts spewing TNG style technobabble, it jars me right out of the movie.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 06:32 PM   #28
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

DalekJim wrote: View Post
It's a fun cosy nostagia trip but nothing special.

Sadly, it probably is the best part of Generations. Which shall hopefully forever remain the shittiest Star Trek movie.
Not including 5 or Nemesis or Insurrection.
Old February 9 2013, 06:45 PM   #29
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Count me as one of the guys who really likes Generations a lot. I used to say I loved it, but I wouldn't go that far nowadays. Thinking about it, yes, the opening sequence is at least one of the better parts of the movie.
Old February 9 2013, 07:52 PM   #30
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

I'd take Generations over the 2009 film.
DavidLeeRoth is offline   Reply With Quote