Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 9 2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Admiral Archer
Ensign

USS Atlantis NCC-32710

So I already posted something similar in the fan fiction section under the name USS Ulysses, until I discovered that the name Ulysses is actually taken by a Nebula-class starship featured in the DS9 episode "The Adversary". The idea was inspired by my little Playmates Excelsior-class starship mini playset, and the fact that it was so bulky and disproportionate in comparison to other Excelsior-class models. So I researched all existing Excelsior-class ship names, and came up with the USS Atlantis. Here's the basic idea behind the design:

In the late 2360's, Galaxy-class starships were proving more and more successful in bringing peace to the Federation. One appealing aspect of the Galaxy-class assignments were the inclusion of extra space and facilities on board for families and civilians. As more and more families went into space, the need for other starships to be upgraded to meet the needs of civilian space travel became more apparent. Thus, Starfleet ordered a number of older ship classes to be upgraded to be more "family friendly." This was the idea behind the USS Atlantis.

The Atlantis began life as an Excelsior-class refit of the same sub-class as the Enterprise-B and the Lakota. After the vessel was chosen to be the testbed for the new upgrade, she was literally rebuilt from the ground up, using existing materials to create what Starfleet termed "Experimental Configuration #3".

Below are images and statistics regarding the "Experimental Configuration #3":

Admiral Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:46 AM   #2
lennier1
Commodore

Re: USS Atlantis NCC-32710

The thread might be more useful with some actual images (as mentioned in the initial post).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

Try giving us the link Welcome as well
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Admiral Archer
Ensign

Huh? The image isn't working? Uh-oh. Well, here's the link: https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...d6qH8JrZd-yXFk
Old February 9 2013, 11:01 AM   #5
lennier1
Commodore

Admiral Archer wrote: View Post
Huh? The image isn't working? Uh-oh. Well, here's the link: https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...d6qH8JrZd-yXFk
Temporary Error (404m)

We’re sorry, but your Gmail account is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience and suggest trying again in a few minutes. You can view the Apps Status Dashboard for the current status of the service.

If the issue persists, please visit the Gmail Help Center »

Try Again Sign Out

Hide Detailed Technical Info
Numeric Code: 7
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 9 2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Admiral Archer
Ensign

Wow. This sucks. I have no idea why this is giving me such a hard time. Well, can I upload photos from my hard drive, instead of screwing around with links and such? The photo is actually pretty small, so it shouldn't take up much space.
Old February 9 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
lennier1
Commodore

Just use a free image hosting service like http://tinypic.com/ and then copy the URL that's in the field labeled "Direct Link for Layouts".
Old February 9 2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Admiral Archer
Ensign

Ok, thanks! I hope you guys weren't expecting too much, but this should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about:

Old February 9 2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

That's a nice ship you have got there Admiral Archer
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Admiral Archer
Ensign

Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
That's a nice ship you have got there Admiral Archer
You really think so? Thanks! I appreciate it!
Old February 9 2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Nice

I have the Stargazer one

I got it off a cool guy from the UK
Old February 9 2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Tribble puncher
Commander

I had several of those playsets, I never liked the look of this particular one. It's cool to see it again though.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 01:37 AM   #13
Admiral Archer
Ensign

Kaiser wrote: View Post
Nice

I have the Stargazer one

I got it off a cool guy from the UK
Yeah, I have the Stargazer playset as well, and it does MUCH better justice to the original model than the Excelsior-class playset.

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
I had several of those playsets, I never liked the look of this particular one. It's cool to see it again though.
Dude, you live in Lexington, KY? How awesome is that? I used to live there during my late childhood and the majority of my teenage years. I love that place!

Yeah, the appearance of this ship is something you have to kind of get used to. These playsets were supposed to be able to open up and depict a starship bridge set on the inside, so I'll forgive the bulkiness, but it does make it difficult to use convincingly as a starship model. Thus the reason I came up with the "Experimental Configuration #3", to explain away the inaccuracies.
Old February 10 2013, 06:56 AM   #14
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Wow. This sucks. I have no idea why this is giving me such a hard time. Well, can I upload photos from my hard drive, instead of screwing around with links and such? The photo is actually pretty small, so it shouldn't take up much space.
It looks like you were trying to link to an attachment in an email of yours, which we would never be able to see anyway. You always need to upload to a picture hosting service like tinypic (like you did), Photobucket, or Imageshack.