RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,677
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 779
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 7 2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Warped9
Admiral

Re: A parade of spaceships...

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
It's somewhat ironic that a real starship traveling at a significant percentage of light, maybe even 90% or better, would likely have a shape reminiscent of those classic rocketships, to better pierce the interstellar medium (which isn't a true vacuum) and assuming it was made of truly advanced materials.
You're assuming here that such a ship wouldn't have a warp field and deflector array to spread the interstellar medium before it came in contact with the ship.
Well if it's in a warp field then it probably wouldn't need such a deflector system while in warp since the ship would effectively be not in normal space. But I was referring to a starship somewhat more likely within (conjectural) reach as we currently understand physics as opposed to something purely speculative. Presently a fast relativistic ship is just as speculative as a FTL ship other than the relativistic ship is easier to wrap your head around in terms of what we currently know.
Old February 7 2013, 07:36 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral

Now here's something amusing. If you do a Google search of images for "Spaceship Friede" you get some of the images I've posted in this thread.

This happened before when doing my TOS shuttlecraft schematics and 3D model.

More to the point I'll have to check the dvd for reference. Fantastic Plastic offers a kit of the Friede and on their build they depict it with a red band around the fuseluge just below the stage separation. Firstly I want to see if such a band is actually there given it's not indicated on the drawings in the Spaceship Handbook. If a band is there then I'm guessing that someone at Fantastic Plastic is assuming the band should be red. Or it could be just a quick and simple way to add colour to an otherwise plain expanse of silver on a simple shape. The Spaceship Handbook simply states the main colour is silver with half of the upper section painted black. Fantastic Plastic also went with amber tinted windows which, again, might be pure conjecture on their part.

Last edited by Warped9; February 7 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 01:10 AM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

Here are some screen caps from the film. At the top we have two nice images of the Friede's internal arrangement, more particularly the upper crew levels. From that one could get some decent idea of how things go together. This is bolstered by the next two images showing a cutaway mockup of the ship. The next image (third down on the left) shows us some underside detail---not much, but it gives me a better idea of how the nozzles fit with the bottom of the vehicle. The image next to it shows us the ship on its gantry. At first it looks like there's a band around the craft, but it's actually a collar supporting the ship for it to be lowed into launching position. The bottom pic on the left shows the ship being moved over the water tank where the film says the ship is too light to support its own weight so it is placed in water for launch. The last image shows the ship in flight after launch and I can't make out any band around the fuselage.

Unfortunately there are no other clear shots of the ship elsewhere in the film. later in the film we see the fullsize mockup of the upper section after it has landed and thats not where the colour band is supposed to be anyway. Earlier in the film we saw the miniature mockup being studied before launch and it also showed no colour band.

So from this I can only deduce that the red colour band added to the Fantastic Plastic kit was someone's personal touch to add colour.

Last edited by Warped9; February 8 2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old February 8 2013, 09:11 PM   #19
Warped9
Admiral

Here are some elevations.

I'm thinking that doing even a rudimentary interior is pointless for this since you can't really see anything for the shots I want to do and interior lighting won't really show or do much either. It's a shame there are no markings or colour lines on the ship because that would add a little something to a rather bare design. Hmm, maybe I could stray from original just a little... After all I did opt to show the delineations between stages by simply making them ever so slightly different tones of the same colour.

Last edited by Warped9; February 9 2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old February 9 2013, 02:26 AM   #20
Warped9
Admiral

I'm not done with the Friede yet, but here is a peak at what I'll be working on next. This isn't as thought through (in terms of realism) as the Friede, but it is pure pulp/serial sic-fi and the most recognizable image of a spacecraft in the 1930s.

It was first seen in a 1930's sic-fi musical(?) called Just Imagine. Apparently the f/x were first-rate for the time, but for some dumbass reason the film was promoted as a musical rather than as science fiction. It essentially flopped partly because it was released not long after the stock market crash in 1929. The full-size mock-up ship would survive, though, and go on to feature in several B-films and serials, but it would become most well known as Zarkov's Rocket Ship in the Flash Gordon serials.
Old February 9 2013, 05:18 AM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
It's a shame there are no markings or colour lines on the ship because that would add a little something to a rather bare design. Hmm, maybe I could stray from original just a little...
Giving this some further thought I am considering adding a little colour to this design even if it's not authentic. I can add a band of colour around the second stage and I can add a name scripted onto the third (upper) stage since that's the one that goes all the way to the Moon and back.

So I'm asking opinions on three options: 1 (top), 2 (middle) or 3 (bottom).

Old February 9 2013, 06:20 AM   #22
Albertese
Commodore

Bottom. Definitely. Gots that old timey German look, which I'm sure they woulda gone with had they thought to mark the ship...

--Alex
Old February 9 2013, 06:47 AM   #23
Warped9
Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
Bottom. Definitely. Gots that old timey German look, which I'm sure they woulda gone with had they thought to mark the ship...

--Alex
I was thinking much the same (as soon as I came across it) even though I haven't made up my mind yet.

It is odd that they didn't think of any kind of markings, not even a number registry or anything. Yet there are a number of oddities in this film. The crew don't enter the ship by any platform, but rather they have to climb in by rope ladder. The crew take-off in a prone position (much like modern astronauts), but the controls are not easily accessible---they have to roll over sideways and reach for the control levers. Not at all easy to do under crushing high-g acceleration (which they depict in the film).

The ship has very advanced ideas and forethought (for the time) mixed with some genuine lack of forethought.
Old February 18 2013, 09:01 PM   #24
Warped9
Admiral

Playing with some imaging.

Last edited by Warped9; February 19 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old February 19 2013, 10:14 PM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

Friede enroute and hard landing.

The truth is the Friede hard landed and sustained such damage that it never actually returned to Earth. The ship is still somewhere on the Moon waiting to be found.

Last edited by Warped9; February 19 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old February 20 2013, 03:25 AM   #26
Albertese
Commodore

Hmm... from that footprint in the lower right corner, I'm assuming that this stage of the Friede is about 30 inches or so high?

--Alex
Old February 20 2013, 04:45 AM   #27
Warped9
Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
Hmm... from that footprint in the lower right corner, I'm assuming that this stage of the Friede is about 30 inches or so high?

--Alex
Damn. I missed that.
Old February 20 2013, 06:22 AM   #28
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Not much evidence of what I'd call "hard landed" either. Nice work though!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Redfern
Commodore

Maybe a case of "contents may have settled during shipment"?

Mercy, Warped9, you've become a real terror with Sketch-Up!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 07:16 PM   #30
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I was thinking of a long gouged out area with the capsule not facing up.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote