Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 8 2013, 11:54 PM   #61
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Entertainment Weekly Star Trek Into Darkness Issue

Im still banking this is not Khan but either a parallel Khan-like figure or someone from the Botany Bay or equivalent origin that is superhuman/genetically engineered.

Remember how Lex Luthor was turned into a ruthless businessman is several incarnations of the modern character? It may be something like that, where Khan is a modern terrorist as part of or head of an organization.

RAMA
Old February 8 2013, 11:57 PM   #62
RAMA
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

Like the Freemasons?
The Illuminati.

Enlightenment-era secret society founded on May 1, 1776. In more modern contexts the name refers to a purported conspiratorial organization which is alleged to mastermind events and control world affairs through governments and corporations to establish a New World Order. In this context the Illuminati are usually represented as a modern version or continuation of the Bavarian Illuminati.
The Illuminati is a fantasy creation, one that Robert Orci ironically believes in.
Old February 9 2013, 12:03 AM   #63
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

CaptainMurdock wrote: View Post
First Benedict Cumberbatch is Khan, then Gary Mitchell then "John Harrison" Now Khan again. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS Paramount. I call BS on the whole thing. Simon Pegg said Kahn isn't in it. then Karl Urban said he was Gary Mitchell then Benedict Cumberbatch was revealed to be John Harrison. I think EW is just making a publicity stunt. I'm just waiting till I see the movie. I really hope it's not Space Seed redone.
Er, just to be clear, it isn't Paramount that keeps changing its mind. It's the fans and the press that keep jumping on the latest round of rumors and speculation and taking them as gospel. As far as I know, Paramount has never officially confirmed anything.

In the meantime, does anyone want to discuss the actual article, instead of speculating wildly about what it's NOT saying?
Old February 9 2013, 12:18 AM   #64
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
CaptainMurdock wrote: View Post
First Benedict Cumberbatch is Khan, then Gary Mitchell then "John Harrison" Now Khan again. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS Paramount. I call BS on the whole thing. Simon Pegg said Kahn isn't in it. then Karl Urban said he was Gary Mitchell then Benedict Cumberbatch was revealed to be John Harrison. I think EW is just making a publicity stunt. I'm just waiting till I see the movie. I really hope it's not Space Seed redone.
Er, just to be clear, it isn't Paramount that keeps changing its mind. It's the fans and the press that keep jumping on the latest round of rumors and speculation and taking them as gospel. As far as I know, Paramount has never officially confirmed anything.

In the meantime, does anyone want to discuss the actual article, instead of speculating wildly about what it's NOT saying?
Now why in heaven's name would anyone want to do that?
Ovation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:26 AM   #65
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Especially when it says so little. Pretty pictures, though.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 12:40 AM   #66
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I honestly can't say I'm bothered if they retcon Khan a bit.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 02:45 AM   #67
Matt S
Lieutenant

No point in doing Khan....! He's the most painfully obvious (ie boring as hell) choice, that I really hope EW has their head up their ass for this one
Old February 9 2013, 03:14 AM   #68
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's Khan.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 03:35 AM   #69
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Having Cumberbatch is fine. Having him as a villain is fine. Having him play John Harrison is fine. Having him play Khan Noonien Singh is just silly.

This. I'm perfectly fine with The Batch as John Harrison or any other new villain, but having him turn out to be Khan is just a wrong fit. I mean, I thought the whole idea of creating a branch universe in the first movie was so they could tell stories that are not strapped by years of Trek history and details. So why NOT create a new antogonist?
On the other hand, nobody seemed to mind when THE DARK KNIGHT rebooted the Joker one more time . . .
Old February 9 2013, 04:09 AM   #70
Procutus
Admiral

^

True enough, but I honestly feel that having Cumberbatch/Harrison be someone other than Khan would be a hell of a lot more interesting than rehashing the character, or retconning his backstory/origins. I realize I'm the minority on this one, but it just seems to me that there has to be other equally compelling villains in this new timeline.

And though I mentioned this to you in the past, I'll say it again: I really enjoyed your trilogy on Khan.

Old February 9 2013, 04:21 AM   #71
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^

True enough, but I honestly feel that having Cumberbatch/Harrison be someone other than Khan would be a hell of a lot more interesting than rehashing the character, or retconning his backstory/origins. I realize I'm the minority on this one, but it just seems to me that there has to be other equally compelling villains in this new timeline.

And though I mentioned this to you in the past, I'll say it again: I really enjoyed your trilogy on Khan.

Thanks! To be honest, I have mixed feelings about the possibility of a new take on Khan as well, but who knows? We'll see what we get in May.
Old February 9 2013, 04:33 AM   #72
Procutus
Admiral

We'll see what we get in May.

Agreed. I greatly suspect that we really won't know just who 'Harrison' really is until then.
Old February 9 2013, 05:11 AM   #73
Joerib
Lieutenant

We can always kidnap JJ and force him to tell us...
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 09:11 AM   #74
EyalM
Captain

We'll see what we get in May.

Agreed. I greatly suspect that we really won't know just who 'Harrison' really is until then.
What if we never know? What if Harrison just says he is using a pseudo-name but never reveals his true identity?
We never discovered the Joker's true identity in The Dark Knight, why not here?

Last edited by EyalM; February 9 2013 at 09:24 AM.
EyalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:28 AM   #75
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Cumberbatch as Khan is like somebody who doesn't look anything like Terrance Stamp (Michael Shannon) playing General Zod.

Wait a minute...

Seriously, tho, as long as it's a fun show.
Captain Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote