CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 7 2013, 08:27 PM   #106
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Where do you guys live? Brand new PS3/XBOX games are always $60 around here and have been for years.
In the UK, but what you have to remember is they're basically making extra money out of us at the 40-45 mark. $60 is around 35, so over the years to stay competitive retailers have moves it to closer to actual exchange rate.
D'oh! I didn't see that you guys were using the pound sign (which I am now realizing I don't have the faintest idea how to type).
Old February 7 2013, 08:48 PM   #107
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Where do you guys live? Brand new PS3/XBOX games are always $60 around here and have been for years.
In the UK, but what you have to remember is they're basically making extra money out of us at the 40-45 mark. $60 is around 35, so over the years to stay competitive retailers have moves it to closer to actual exchange rate.
D'oh! I didn't see that you guys were using the pound sign (which I am now realizing I don't have the faintest idea how to type).
Can't remember on US Keyboards think you have to use Character map. easy on UK keyboards it's just shift+3
Old February 7 2013, 09:25 PM   #108
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
I was looking to replace my Wii for the reason of having the Wii-U upscaling all the Wii games to a better res, i know they wont be HD but a sharper crisper Wii game would have been nice.

But i will have to wait till it drops down in price.....cant justify that 250 for the basic bundle alone......and i'm tight.
Just use Dolphin for 1080p goodness. Sure, it's technically illegal to download the games, but if you already own them it's a victimless crime. Check out this video of Super Smash Bros. Brawl running at 720p.

Tried that a while back but my PC would not read the game discs so that was that.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 09:37 PM   #109
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ I buy most of my games from the UK and I don't think it's that bad. Most new PS3 games are $60 in the US and 40 in the UK so there really isn't much of a difference The prices over here are terrible though... most new games are close to 70 (more than 80 / $90).

Man, and I thought prices in Canada were bad. I do remember in the early 90's paying over $80 for a primitive animation software, something which would be considered in the range of $60 today.

I guess this could be part of the reason why the EU is getting better PS+ game selections than in NA, in trying to make it up to people.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 01:51 AM   #110
Steven
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Ummm... The only console to sell more than the original
I did say "device" not "console." The DS just passed the PS2 in total worldwide sales.
A quick Google fails to present any concrete numbers to go with that widespread claim. Everything links back to VGChartz and I somehow doubt Nintendo wouldn't be shouting that sort of figure from the heavens.

Not that I don't expect it to happen at some point mind you, I just don't think anyone can say for certain yet that it has.

I also wonder if that includes the DSi and DSi XL, which introduced new features that weren't available on the previous models. I'm not sure that quite qualifies as all being one pool of sales any more than pooling all of the iPhone sales together, which would in fact make it the #1 "gaming device" ever.
Both of these figures are from the respective Wikipedia pages (under units sold on the side bar) where the footnotes for the figures are straight from Nintendo's and Sony's websites.

Nintendo DS: 153.67 million (as of end of 2012)
Playstation 2: 153.6 million (as of November 2011)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2

Granted the PS2 figure is a bit out of date, but I can't imagine they've sold much in the last year or so.
Old February 8 2013, 02:15 AM   #111
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Just use Dolphin for 1080p goodness. Sure, it's technically illegal to download the games, but if you already own them it's a victimless crime. Check out this video of Super Smash Bros. Brawl running at 720p.
That's pretty impressive, especially considering the PCSX2 is still a bit of a mixed bag.
Old February 8 2013, 02:41 AM   #112
MacLeod
Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ I buy most of my games from the UK and I don't think it's that bad. Most new PS3 games are $60 in the US and 40 in the UK so there really isn't much of a difference The prices over here are terrible though... most new games are close to 70 (more than 80 / $90).
70 is actually about 60 not 80
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 09:01 AM   #113
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Yeah you're right, sorry about that.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:58 PM   #114
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Can't remember on US Keyboards think you have to use Character map. easy on UK keyboards it's just shift+3
Language confusion!

In the USA, this "#" is also occasionally called the "pound sign" and is also made with Shift+3.

But since you're talking this "" yes, we have to use the Character Map or else type ALT+0163 on the number keypad.
Old February 8 2013, 07:27 PM   #115
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

So what is Shift-4 on an UK keyboard? It's the $ sign for US, seems like that'd have been used for the . Also, does 24# mean 24 pounds in the UK?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 08:00 PM   #116
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
So what is Shift-4 on an UK keyboard? It's the $ sign for US, seems like that'd have been used for the . Also, does 24# mean 24 pounds in the UK?
Shift-3 is , Shift-4 is $. And nope 24 would be 24 pounds. # would be hash to us.
Old February 8 2013, 08:20 PM   #117
MacLeod
Admiral

The number 4 key on a UK keyboard has a third funtion. If you use the Alt Gr key you get the euro sign . Use of the Alt Gr key also gets you when you use the vowels.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 09:21 PM   #118
CorporalClegg
Admiral

This Gr key seems magical. I want one.
Old February 8 2013, 09:24 PM   #119
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Shift-3 is , Shift-4 is $. And nope 24 would be 24 pounds. # would be hash to us.
His question (I believe) is not "does 24# mean 24 pounds (money) in the UK?" but rather "does 24# mean 24 pounds (weight) in the UK?"

In the USA, if someone writes 24#, it means "24 pounds of weight".

EDIT:

Found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...om_and_Ireland

In the United Kingdom and Ireland, the symbol is most often called the hash. It is never used to denote pounds weight (lb is commonly used for this) or pounds sterling (where "" is used). It is never called the "pound sign", because that term is understood to mean the currency symbol "", for pound sterling or (formerly) Irish pound.
The use of "#" as an abbreviation for "number" is rare in Britain and Ireland. Where Americans might write "Symphony #5", the British and Irish are more likely to write "Symphony No. 5".
To add to the confusion between "" and "#", in BS 4730 (the UK national variant of the ISO/IEC 646 character set), 0x23 represents "" whereas in ASCII (the US variant), it represents "#". It was thus common, when systems were incorrectly configured, for "" to be displayed as "#" and vice versa.
Old February 8 2013, 10:55 PM   #120
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Yep, Pound in weight would be lb or lbs, number would be No. That about sums it up.