Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 30 2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Most important books?

Joel Engel's Roddenberry: The Myth and Man Behind Star Trek belongs on any list. It is a useful corrective to a lot of studio PR-fluff type information that has embedded itself into reality the last couple of decades.
Old January 31 2013, 12:07 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

David Alexander's hagiography, er, biography of Roddenberry is less useful, but it does include transcriptions of a number of Roddenberry's memos and correspondences written during the run of the series. (Just nothing that would portray the man in a bad light).

Inside Star Trek: The Real Story is still the most definitive book out there. There are mistakes and inaccurate memories -- Grace Lee Whitney and Harlan Ellison both correct its account pertaining to them in their memoirs -- but I don't doubt its overall credibility. Much of it is backed up by multiple sources and archival documentation.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 02:51 AM   #18
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
Those two, plus Gerrold's World of Star Trek, and you're all set.
Gerrold's books were essential reading for any ST fan in the 70s, and were the kind of books one would revisit time after time, as his style was inviting, rather than clinical.

In later years, the Star Trek Compendium was another "must have" book; I believe I bought two printings of it.
Old January 31 2013, 11:57 AM   #19
Lance
Commodore

I'd like to recommend three of the Reeves-Stevens' titles: The Art Of Star Trek, The Making of Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Phase II, The Lost Series. Oh, and the John Eaves co-authored Star Trek TNG Sketchbook: The Movies is excellent as well.

Are any of them "important"? Probably not. The DS9 one is quite extensive though, so I'd say it's essential reading for any Niners out there.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 01:37 PM   #20
Lance
Commodore

Sorry folks, I hadn't realised this was in the TOS forum when I made that post.

The Art Of Star Trek has got some good artwork from TOS in it, but I'd further like to recommend the original Star Trek Sketchbook. Some terrific rare Matt Jefferies art design (among other things) from the TOS days. There are photos of an amazingly detailed miniature model Jeffries had built of the Enterprise interior sets as well, which I've actually used as a basis for building CGI renders of the locations.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:38 AM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

Already been mentioned: The Making Of Star Trek and Inside Star Trek as well as The Star Trek Sketchbook are the best. The Star Trek Compendium is also nice to have.

After that The World Of Star Trek and some of the "making of" the films books are okay for maybe picking up tidbits.

Although they are not behind-the-scenes books there are works that I think are important in other respects. Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual and Booklet Of General Plans are important works in that they really crytallized and fuelled fan fascination with treknology (even if a lot of the materiel later proved to be questionable in terms of authenticity and consistency with what was seen onscreen). Also equally good was the Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual and the Star Trek Concordance.
Old February 8 2013, 03:28 PM   #22
Warped9
Admiral

I think Star Trek: Phase II - The Lost Series is also a decent book for reference.
Old February 8 2013, 08:02 PM   #23
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I think Star Trek: Phase II - The Lost Series is also a decent book for reference.
Edward Gross' Trek: the Lost Years is less professional looking (with no pictures either), but I recall it has a few things not in the authorized book.
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 09:32 PM   #24
trevanian
Rear Admiral

mb22 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Edward Gross' Trek: the Lost Years is less professional looking (with no pictures either), but I recall it has a few things not in the authorized book.
The Gross book is missing a key part of the p2 puzzle that the authorized book does have (that folks at the top already knew the series wasn't going ahead, even while the sets were getting rushed and the scripts getting written), but other than that the Gross is LOADED with great info. The stuff from Joe Jennings is really great.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 02:10 AM   #25
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

The only Star Trek book I have ever read was William Shatners Star Trek Memories and I found it very decent.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:56 AM   #26
Valin
Rear Admiral

Koenig's memoir about the making of TMP, "Chekov's Enterprise" is also a very entertaining behind the scenes look.