MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 8 2013, 12:27 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Entertainment Weekly Star Trek Into Darkness Issue

Many of those traits that make Khan, Khan would've been bred out after three and a half centuries.
Old February 8 2013, 01:32 PM   #32
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Many of those traits that make Khan, Khan would've been bred out after three and a half centuries.
That's only true if none of his descendents or their mates were augments. Also, you don't seem to be taking into account the aggressiveness of Augment DNA which was shown in "Affliction" and "Divergence".
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 01:43 PM   #33
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ketrick wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
That's only true if none of his descendents or their mates were augments. Also, you don't seem to be taking into account the aggressiveness of Augment DNA which was shown in "Affliction" and "Divergence".
I doubt they're going to tie their story to Enterprise, a show no one watched.

Either it's Khan or it isn't. I honestly don't see them make Cumberbatch an off-spring or a clone.
Old February 8 2013, 03:07 PM   #34
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The movie comes out in a few months. Would it really be too much to confirm/deny the Khan rumours?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 03:16 PM   #35
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The movie comes out in a few months. Would it really be too much to confirm/deny the Khan rumours?
Why? Will many fewer people go to the movie if they don't confirm or deny? Will many more go if they do confirm or deny? The answer to each question, of course, is a resounding NO! So again, why?
Ovation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 03:19 PM   #36
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Ovation wrote: View Post
Why? Will many fewer people go to the movie if they don't confirm or deny? Will many more go if they do confirm or deny? The answer to each question, of course, is a resounding NO! So again, why?
To avoid confusion?
Old February 8 2013, 03:28 PM   #37
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
To avoid confusion?
Hardly a concern worth noting. What's there to be confused about? Cumberbatch is the villain. It's got Kirk, Spock and the gang on hand to take on the villain and it's a summer action sci-fi movie made by people with a strong track record of providing entertainment that appeals to a wide variety of people. Again, what's there to be confused about?
Ovation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 03:30 PM   #38
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Oh, OK.
Old February 8 2013, 04:31 PM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I have no idea how they'll justify Khan in this movie. That said, an idea I'm personally fond of is that Khan and his people have many descendants (think about the logic of it), who over the centuries have formed a conspiratorial network while plotting an uprising. Get a little of that Dan Brown action going for them y'know?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 04:41 PM   #40
The Stig
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I have no idea how they'll justify Khan in this movie. That said, an idea I'm personally fond of is that Khan and his people have many descendants (think about the logic of it), who over the centuries have formed a conspiratorial network while plotting an uprising. Get a little of that Dan Brown action going for them y'know?
Well, once the timeline gets fucked by Nero, anything could happen to the Botany Bay that preempts the 'scheduled' recovery by the Enterprise. Maybe the fear inspired by the Narada thirty years ago prompted a conspiracy, like you said, that recovers Khan early for some nefarious purpose.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:01 PM   #41
Procutus
Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Having Cumberbatch is fine. Having him as a villain is fine. Having him play John Harrison is fine. Having him play Khan Noonien Singh is just silly.

This. I'm perfectly fine with The Batch as John Harrison or any other new villain, but having him turn out to be Khan is just a wrong fit. I mean, I thought the whole idea of creating a branch universe in the first movie was so they could tell stories that are not strapped by years of Trek history and details. So why NOT create a new antogonist?
Old February 8 2013, 06:16 PM   #42
Saul
Rear Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Having Cumberbatch is fine. Having him as a villain is fine. Having him play John Harrison is fine. Having him play Khan Noonien Singh is just silly.

This. I'm perfectly fine with The Batch as John Harrison or any other new villain, but having him turn out to be Khan is just a wrong fit. I mean, I thought the whole idea of creating a branch universe in the first movie was so they could tell stories that are not strapped by years of Trek history and details. So why NOT create a new antogonist?
Cos Khan is a great villain. Star Trek needs a good villain. Batman has his Joker, Superman has his Lex Luthor. Star Trek needs a good baddie rather than another mustache twirler from the create a generic villain machine. We can't do the borg. That would be a wrong fit. But Khan, he hasn't been done to death and there is space to explore the character a bit more and make him fresh and appealing to a new audience. Isn't that the purpose of branching out into the new universe? Same crew, same ship yet it's different. Why can you accept bringing back those characters but not the villain which proved to be one of the most challenging for them?
Old February 8 2013, 06:39 PM   #43
Franklin
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Like the Freemasons?
Old February 8 2013, 06:59 PM   #44
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post

Like the Freemasons?
The Illuminati.

Enlightenment-era secret society founded on May 1, 1776. In more modern contexts the name refers to a purported conspiratorial organization which is alleged to mastermind events and control world affairs through governments and corporations to establish a New World Order. In this context the Illuminati are usually represented as a modern version or continuation of the Bavarian Illuminati.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:59 PM   #45
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of conspiracy given that Orci is writing it. The thing I wonder though is if such a thing happened, why did it not also happen in the original timeline? Regardless of whatever the conspiracy is, how could it even be linked to the Botany Bay since no one even really knew about it? Perhaps the only way anybody would know it now is because Spock Prime told them.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote