Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 8 2013, 06:25 AM   #61
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Loki isn't English.
He totally is. Space England is a thing.
Is that where Movie Germans come from?
Yep. Which explains the reversed Union Jacks in the trailer. Did you know that there was a hidden swastika on the Union Jack?
Old February 8 2013, 02:02 PM   #62
The Wormhole
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Because no villain has ever been surrounded by armed guards in a film, ever.
To be fair, that image of Loki and the SHIELD guards was the first thing I thought of when I first saw that image of Harrison and the red shirts.

Mainly, it helped reinforce my theory, and indeed a very popular one that like Loki and the villain from Skyfall, Harrison allows himself to get captured as some convoluted part of his master plan.
Old February 8 2013, 02:24 PM   #63
Jeyl
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Mainly, it helped reinforce my theory, and indeed a very popular one that like Loki and the villain from Skyfall, Harrison allows himself to get captured as some convoluted part of his master plan.
Don't forget the Joker. Our brave writers of Star Trek Into Darkness have said they were using the Dark Knight as inspiration in writing this movie.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 02:28 PM   #64
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Does that mean Uhura gets blowed up real good?
Old February 8 2013, 02:39 PM   #65
The Wormhole
Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Don't forget the Joker. Our brave writers of Star Trek Into Darkness have said they were using the Dark Knight as inspiration in writing this movie.
Shit, you're right.
Old February 8 2013, 05:51 PM   #66
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Jeyl wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Because no villain has ever been surrounded by armed guards in a film, ever.
Only the superior and manipulative englishmen.
The Green Mile:
http://www.haro-online.com/stuff/greenmi1.jpg

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 03:26 AM   #67
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep, it's only a shot that's appeared in hundreds of movies.

Doubtless some folks will shortly discover that Abrams likes to move the camera in on actors for something that Nolan invented called "the close-up."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 03:25 PM   #68
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

It's true.

I love GENERATIONS.

In fact the older I get, the more I come to appreciate the film (which I did not enjoy when it premiered... guess I was too young to understand it).

IMHO best film of the franchise, on par with the best episodes of Trek (you know, the ones without action, where they talk about all possible social themes, human rights etc.)
Old February 9 2013, 03:35 PM   #69
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
It's true.

I love GENERATIONS.

In fact the older I get, the more I come to appreciate the film (which I did not enjoy when it premiered... guess I was too young to understand it).
I don't hate Generations but I think the film falls apart when Picard gets swept into the Nexus.

IMHO best film of the franchise, on par with the best episodes of Trek (you know, the ones without action, where they talk about all possible social themes, human rights etc.)
I never understood the either or aspect of Trek fandom. There are good action episodes, there are good non-action episodes. Without both types, Trek would be pretty dull.
Old February 9 2013, 08:18 PM   #70
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

It turns out that the reason some people hated Generations was because they didn't want to see Kirk die. It's kind of like not wanting to see Batman retire. Characters are supposed to eternally remain in some kind of status quo, I suppose. For my part, I spent the entire televised run of TNG wanting to know what happened to Kirk.
Old February 9 2013, 10:52 PM   #71
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

I did not mean to start another GENERATIONS discussion here, but since we are already at it...

If you lost someone you loved, you cared about, you were befriended with... this movie provides so much to cheer you up. Yes, this is not blockbuster TREK, and yes there are flaws in this film. But the theme of coping with loss, of letting go, of continuing has so much sensuality to it. I love it.
Plus: McCarthy's score is epic. I know, most people do not like it, but it's unique in the series. As much as I love Goldsmith's music, McCarthy's score for GENERATIONS is larger than live (IMHO). Get the extended edition, since it features some of the best (previously unreleased) cues...

Now... back to topic.

Why don't you think it - the concept of a TREK team up - would work?
Old February 9 2013, 11:09 PM   #72
Franklin
Rear Admiral

You know, come to think about it, the way the seven came together in ST09, it is a team up this time. It's just not the type the OP had in minde. Like in the Justice League or the Avengers, each character brings a unique talent to the group that makes the group better than the sum of its individual parts. Each makes important contributions in his or her own way to solving a problem that would've have been solved by any of them as individuals.
Old February 9 2013, 11:16 PM   #73
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Plus: McCarthy's score is epic. I know, most people do not like it, but it's unique in the series.
No. It's the same soulless, trite French horn masturbation he used in all three nineties series.
Old February 10 2013, 02:23 AM   #74
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'll admit, I love Generations. It's my third favourite Trek film after TWOK and TUC. But even I think the teaming up of Kirk and Picard was overhyped and ended up being a bit anti-climatic. All it really is is a soul-searching horse ride and then they tag team to kick Soran's ass. I mean yes, I like these scenes, because they enojyable scenes not because it features two captains teaming up.

Honestly, crossovers have limited appeal to me. Sure it's a nice novelty to see characters from different series meet each other. But after the novelty wears off there's not much to it. And really, I found the movies featuring each of the heroes that comprse the Avengers more interesting and entertaining than The Avengers itself.

All you'd have to all Treks teaming up is just the novelty of characters meeting from the different shows. Which we've already had from all the various crossovers on the different shows anyway. Hell, Picard has met every other series Captain except for Archer.
Old February 10 2013, 03:55 AM   #75
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Because no one but trekkies would care.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote