TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 8 2013, 01:50 AM   #16
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Entertainment Weekly Star Trek Into Darkness Issue

King Daniel wrote: View Post
But is truKhan Latino or Indian??
Either way, he's not a pale Brit.

I really, really hope that EW is just making this shit up.
Old February 8 2013, 02:45 AM   #17
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I will be disappointed if he's Khan. With all the Indian actors out there, why cast a white guy as Khan? They were beholden to Montalban in '82. That's not the case now. I can think of several Indian actors that would be complete badasses and perfect Khans.

At this point I think it's EW carrying the rumor. Or at least I hope so.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 03:21 AM   #18
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Let's just keep doing the same thing as before! Nothing new! Just dumbed down with more lights and colors!

Sure, let's do Khan!

Maybe in the next movie, they go back in time to get humpback whales!
Old February 8 2013, 04:14 AM   #19
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

I don't think the producers care about the the ethnicity of the actor playing Khan as much as the fans, they will hire the actor they like the most. And since Khan was a genetically engineered person he theoretically could have any kind of look.

As far as resembling the original actor, Cochrane in FC didn't look anything like the original actor and that wasn't even an alternate timeline. Also in this alternate timeline Kirk has blue eyes.

Yeah, it would have been better to cast someone who reminds us of the original Khan, but hopefully the performance is so good that will make it worthed..
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 04:44 AM   #20
Saul
Rear Admiral

Bacl wrote: View Post
Let's just keep doing the same thing as before! Nothing new! Just dumbed down with more lights and colors!

Sure, let's do Khan!

Maybe in the next movie, they go back in time to get humpback whales!
Yeah I was pissed off when they brought Khan back from the original series in TWOK. Man that was so unoriginal. Bringing back the same character. Pft.... what's next, Klingons?!
You just know it wouldn't be highly entertaining bringing back popular characters or aliens. That would be just silly.
And that 2009 film 'Star Trek' eh... HELLO! They did that 40 years ago!
Old February 8 2013, 05:02 AM   #21
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

1. Of course he is playing Khan

2. In Space Seed Montalban had copious amounts of that same Klingon brown show polish makeup on

3. In Star Trek II he had the exact same pink completion everyone here seems to be bitching about with Cumby

4. Why are so many people POed that we are getting one of the finest, most intense, dramatic actors in the world playing a version of Treks most beloved arch villain ?
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 05:09 AM   #22
Opus
Commodore

Ummm... They have to retcon 'Space Seed' anyhow. Last time I checked, there were no genetically engineered humans that took over the world in the early to late 1990's. (with big props to Greg Cox of course)
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 05:16 AM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Both Abrams and the folks in marketing are completely aware of how all the rumors about Khan are being received.

They're not letting this all continue so that they can draw back the curtain in May on...some new guy who's borrowing the "Botany Bay" storyline but is not Khan.

Believe it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 05:39 AM   #24
Matt S
Lieutenant

Why have such a good actor play a character that seems all new: acts different, sounds and looks different, yet ends up going around calling himself Khan?

When you have ZERO resemblance to the original character, why even 'go there?'
Old February 8 2013, 05:49 AM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Because he's an extraordinarily good actor playing the only Trek villain whose name means a thing to the casual moviegoer.

Whatever cavils long-time Trek fans may have about the casting are beside the point; we're all going to pay to see the movie (well, except for that one guy over there who's about to post "I have no interest in this/I'll see it for free/I'll wait for the DVD").

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
Why are so many people POed that we are getting one of the finest, most intense, dramatic actors in the world playing a version of Treks most beloved arch villain ?
Why does the phone always ring just when you're taking a bath?

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; February 8 2013 at 06:05 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:42 AM   #26
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

2. In Space Seed Montalban had copious amounts of that same Klingon brown show polish makeup on

3. In Star Trek II he had the exact same pink completion everyone here seems to be bitching about with Cumby

4. Why are so many people POed that we are getting one of the finest, most intense, dramatic actors in the world playing a version of Treks most beloved arch villain ?
Because in 2012, you'd think they would actually cast an INDIAN to play an INDIAN.

Having Cumberbatch is fine. Having him as a villain is fine. Having him play John Harrison is fine. Having him play Khan Noonien Singh is just silly. He's as white as they come and this is not 1967, so there's no reason anymore to cast white guys for other racial parts.

That's why I hope that it's just a rumor he's playing Khan and he's actually playing Johnny Villian/John Harrison/Whoever.

And why play "a version of Khan" when you can just replay Khan? So I hope that whoever he is there's no connection to Khan and he's a new villain entirely.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 07:50 AM   #27
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Why does he need dark skin to be Indian? Last time I checked, the British ruled India for three and a half centuries.

In fact, why does Khan have to be Indian at all? Oh right.
Old February 8 2013, 08:56 AM   #28
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Matt S wrote: View Post
Why have such a good actor play a character that seems all new: acts different, sounds and looks different
Like Lieutenant Saavik, Zefram Cochrane, Tora Ziyal, Kimara Cretak, Alexander Roshenko, Daimon Bok and Captain Braxton?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 09:37 AM   #29
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Lieutenant Saavik
Forever to be referred to as "pulling a Kirstie Alley".
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 10:32 AM   #30
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Khan, but not Khan Noonien Singh. His character's name is indeed John Harrison and he is an augment. The curveball they're throwing is that he's the descendent of Noonien Singh and therefore has a right to be called Khan whether it is being used as a name, a title, or both. This is the only answer that makes sense. This way he can be British, a member of Starfleet, and a one man weapon of mass destruction while at the same time being Khan in name and essence.

However, Khan Noonien Singh is almost certain to show up in the film in someway and not just as a flashback. That doesn't necessarily mean there will be a cliffhanger. I'm sure the Supreme Court would want to leave their options open as to what the next movie's plot is and who its villain is.

Section 31 or a similar group is likely to appear in some form as well.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote