RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,078
Posts: 5,398,103
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 619
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 7 2013, 10:36 PM   #16
MadMan1701A
Commodore
 
MadMan1701A's Avatar
 
Location: Milton, FL
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Oh, OK. I clicked on the image attachment, and it said Star Trek Set... not Kirk and Khan. I guess my brain didn't register it on the other one.

-Ricky
__________________
-=MadMan=-
Check out my new website!
MadMan's Shipyard:

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:37 PM   #17
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Here is what is said about Khan in the actual EW cover story written by Geoff Boucher:
Unconfirmed rumors suggest that Harrison also goes by the name of Khan, the genetically upgraded tyrant portrayed by Ricardo Montalban in a February 1967 episode of the original series, as well as in 1982′s big-screen Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
http://trekmovie.com/2013/02/07/did-...ty-not-really/
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:41 PM   #18
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

I have no doubt the two are connected somehow--it's been a forgone conclusion for years now. However, I still think they're ultimately going to go with the cliffhanger route. It just makes the most sense both artistically and business wise.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:47 PM   #19
Worfmonger
Commander
 
Worfmonger's Avatar
 
Location: Close to the fringe...
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I know exactly what it says, I'm just not buying that they actually know anything. I think that's just a sloppy web editor, it may turn to be the case, but, I don't believe they have any actual knowledge to support that blurb. Why would JJ choose now to reveal that? It makes no sense to me
I agree that it's most likely sloppy journalism.

As an aside, I strongly support the idea that he likely isn't Khan (who was my original guess), but one of the other augments from Botany Bay, the circumstances surrounding her discovery being substantially different within the new timeline.
__________________
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart and killed me.
And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
Worfmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:50 PM   #20
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Why does "Voyage into the new Star Trek Kirk & Khan" make it sound like Fantastic Voyage?

From the OP article:
If Abrams pulls the rug out from under moviegoers and the villain is revealed to be utterly unrelated to Khan, there will be a letdown, even for fans indifferent to it being Khan
I'm pretty sure fans who are indifferent by definition don't really care who it is. And even if he isn't Khan, is anybody here actually going to be let down?
Guarding by the trailers the movie just looks like a massive letdown. It could be Khan, it could be Joe Bob Smith, the trailers make the movie look silly.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
However, I still think they're ultimately going to go with the cliffhanger route. It just makes the most sense both artistically and business wise.
I originally thought the same thing, but didn't Abrams sorta hint at a happy ending? Something along the lines of going into darkness, but coming out? That's not as likely in a cliffhanger, but I guess that could happen in a 3rd movie.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:58 PM   #22
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Worfmonger wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I know exactly what it says, I'm just not buying that they actually know anything. I think that's just a sloppy web editor, it may turn to be the case, but, I don't believe they have any actual knowledge to support that blurb. Why would JJ choose now to reveal that? It makes no sense to me
I agree that it's most likely sloppy journalism.

As an aside, I strongly support the idea that he likely isn't Khan (who was my original guess), but one of the other augments from Botany Bay, the circumstances surrounding her discovery being substantially different within the new timeline.
Yup, and SalvadorHardin's post confirms, EW isn't confirming it, but, rather repeating the unconfirmed rumors.

Yea, it's very likely he is an Augment, and possibly Khan, but, I'm leaning towards not Khan.

Truly, it makes no difference to me. If he does turn out to be Khan, it won't be a retread of Space Seed or Wrath of Khan. It will be an entirely new story, so wether he's Khan or another Augment makes no difference whatsoever, IMHO, the only thing it will have in common with the previous stories is the Super Strength/Intelligence, the long nap, and that he will be the bad guy, nothing else will be the same.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:02 PM   #23
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Here is what is said about Khan in the actual EW cover story written by Geoff Boucher:
Unconfirmed rumors suggest that Harrison also goes by the name of Khan, the genetically upgraded tyrant portrayed by Ricardo Montalban in a February 1967 episode of the original series, as well as in 1982′s big-screen Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/02/07/did-...ty-not-really/
"Unconfirmed rumors suggest...." WTF! WTF is an unconfirmed rumor? All rumors are by definition unconfirmed. Jeez. What a load of crap. People get paid to write that stuff? Real newspapers are dying, real reporters are out of work, and this passes as someone being a journalist and doing real work to report a story? Anyone of us on these boards could've written that. I wonder if the reporter is brave enough to stand by those rumors?
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:04 PM   #24
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
However, I still think they're ultimately going to go with the cliffhanger route. It just makes the most sense both artistically and business wise.
I originally thought the same thing, but didn't Abrams sorta hint at a happy ending? Something along the lines of going into darkness, but coming out?
Yep

“I don’t like going to the movies to feel bad. I don’t like going to the movies to feel depressed and feel diminished. The reason you go to the movies is to feel bigger and stronger and happier. So this is a movie that they certainly go Into Darkness, but I would be the wrong director if it was about characters staying there. This is very much a movie about hope, about love, about romance, and about facing something that is truly terrifying and finding a way through the connection of your family and surviving and being stronger afterwards.”
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:07 PM   #25
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Err "cliffhanger" =/= sad ending.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:14 PM   #26
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

The theory in the newsarama article makes a lot of sense. Even if it isn't completely right, I believe it's closer to the truth than all the other theories.

I can even imagine what the reveal will be:

John Harrison: No, Kirk....Khan is my great..great... grandfather!!!

Captain Kirk: Nooooooo!!!!

Last edited by Ketrick; February 7 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:17 PM   #27
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Err "cliffhanger" =/= sad ending.
Yeah, you're right. For every Star Wars there's a Back to the Future. I guess I just got the feeling from Abrams' comments that this story might be self contained.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:56 PM   #28
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

It would be funny if they botched up and spoiled it. But I read a couple of cheap nasty websites (Hi there, Daily Mail!) which reported that the first Into Darkness teaser somehow confirmed that Cumberbatch was playing Khan.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Joby
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Ketrick wrote: View Post
The theory in the newsarama article makes a lot of sense. Even if it isn't completely right, I believe it's closer to the truth than all the other theories.

I can even imagine what the reveal will be:

John Harrison: No, Kirk....Khan is my great..great... grandfather!!!

Captain Kirk: Nooooooo!!!!
John Harrison:"Kirk, you can destroy the Emperor, he has forseen this. It is your destiny, join me and together we will rule the galaxy..."

oh wait, wrong franchises.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 08:02 PM   #30
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Joby wrote: View Post
Ketrick wrote: View Post
The theory in the newsarama article makes a lot of sense. Even if it isn't completely right, I believe it's closer to the truth than all the other theories.

I can even imagine what the reveal will be:

John Harrison: No, Kirk....Khan is my great..great... grandfather!!!

Captain Kirk: Nooooooo!!!!
John Harrison:"Kirk, you can destroy the Emperor, he has forseen this. It is your destiny, join me and together we will rule the galaxy..."

oh wait, wrong franchises.
Well, there is this quote from Khan in "Space Seed", although he's directing it to Mr. Scott and not Kirk: "Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man and you gain a thousand fold. I am such a man. Join me. I'll treat you well. I need your training to operate a vessel this complex."

In other words, "Give yourself to the dark side, Scotty."
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.