RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,652
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 593
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 7 2013, 01:46 PM   #76
Ben
Lieutenant

Re: What is "The Fall"?

Let the speculation begin!

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/201...s-on-fall.html

I'm going to spoiler-tag this just in case.

So...

Old February 7 2013, 03:31 PM   #77
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I will be very pleased if that particular thread isn't left unresolved.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 04:09 PM   #78
SicOne
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
FatherRob wrote: View Post
vorador33 wrote: View Post
Well if the books aren't allowed to touch anything from the films and Abrams takes as long to get film number 3 into cinemas as he has Into Darkness then they're going to have to slow down eventually regardless of what the editors want.
Since the Hobus Supernova event occurred in the Prime Timeline, I see no legitimate reason - nor have I ever heard one thrown out by anyone officially associated with Trek Lit - that the event cannot be addressed in Prime Timeline books. The only constraint I could see would be if whatever Pocket puts out has to substantially jive with the Countdown comics.

I believe the edict is that nothing in the nuTrek timeline can be touched at the moment by Pocket - outside of film novelizations. That does not include Hobus, which is specifically stated to have occurred in the Prime Timeline.

Of course, I am open to correction...

Rob+
I'd think that they are obligated TO include the Hobus Supernova as part of the deal with tie-ins is to adhere to on-screen cannon.
This question has probably already been answered elsewhere, but...how do we know that the Hobus Supernova as depicted in the 2009 movie will occur in the Trek literature continuity? For example, do we know if the supernova was a naturally-occurring phenomena, or was it caused by some external event that can be altered in future Trek lit?
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 08:51 PM   #79
The Wormhole
Admiral

SicOne wrote: View Post
This question has probably already been answered elsewhere, but...how do we know that the Hobus Supernova as depicted in the 2009 movie will occur in the Trek literature continuity? For example, do we know if the supernova was a naturally-occurring phenomena, or was it caused by some external event that can be altered in future Trek lit?
Trek XI established that the supernova happens in the Prime Timeline, and since novel continuity has to remain consistent with everything establshed onscreen about the Prime Timeline, it has to depict the supernova exactly as Trek XI did.
Old February 7 2013, 08:57 PM   #80
Jarvisimo
Commander

I do agree: although it's the nuances that matter: there is so much ambiguity in the Hobus narrative in ST (and of course it's told in first person, which is unreliable, etc, etc).

But to be cheeky, trek lit "exactly" being the same "exactly" as used in The Good that Men Do?

(and just to ask - are googlebooks links legal? Last time i used scribd, and that wasn't so cool)

Last edited by Jarvisimo; February 7 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 09:22 PM   #81
The Wormhole
Admiral

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
But to be cheeky, trek lit "exactly" being the same "exactly" as used in The Good that Men Do?
Personally, that's a line I don't think should have been crossed. It's a moot point, that novel is six years old and the storyline it began has been concluded. And yes, I get it, TATV was only a holodeck intrepretation of events, but as far as I'm concerned it's an episode and whatever is depicted within is of equal canonical value as The City on the Edge of Forever or The Best of Both Worlds or whatever is named the best of the various series. I don't deny TATV is a bad episode and terrible finale, but I was disappointed when even Pocket Books stooped to the level of common fanboys and decided to change the episode to suit their whims.
Old February 7 2013, 09:35 PM   #82
Markonian
Captain

Concerning Hobus:
In the STO continuity, which is only loosely tied to Trek Lit,
the supernova was caused by Praetor Taris,
and her Reman allies, under the guidance of the Iconians (STO: Taris).

In the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline, Romulus and Remus still exist in 2409 and were not destroyed (STO: Temporal Ambassador).
Old February 7 2013, 10:31 PM   #83
Skywalker
Admiral

IIRC, the only real specific things that we know about the Hobus supernova are that it destroyed Romulus and that it threatened the galaxy. The latter can be interpreted in multiple ways. I look forward to seeing what our esteemed writers and editors come up with.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:38 PM   #84
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I just hope the thing that's going to "Fall" isn't the Federation. The writers wouldn't do that, would they?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:42 PM   #85
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I just hope the thing that's going to "Fall" isn't the Federation. The writers wouldn't do that, would they?
The news on that front is that the title is apparently an in-joke of sorts in reference to the season, so there isn't necessarily anything falling. (Prior to learning that, my guess was Romulus; I was indeed hoping this was the 2387 story).
Old February 7 2013, 11:53 PM   #86
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ At the very least, aren't there multiple future time periods (in both onscreen canon and current Treklit) that clearly have the Federation's survival assured? The 29th century of Braxton, the 31st century of Daniels, the Jake & Nog framing story from TGTMD, etc.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 12:08 AM   #87
The Wormhole
Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
The news on that front is that the title is apparently an in-joke of sorts in reference to the season, so there isn't necessarily anything falling. (Prior to learning that, my guess was Romulus; I was indeed hoping this was the 2387 story).
Heh, got to admit, that is kind of clever.
Old February 8 2013, 12:20 AM   #88
JD
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
IIRC, the only real specific things that we know about the Hobus supernova are that it destroyed Romulus and that it threatened the galaxy. The latter can be interpreted in multiple ways. I look forward to seeing what our esteemed writers and editors come up with.
Yeah, I think what we saw in the movie was vague enough that the authors could easily make it more complex than a simple natural supernova.
As to what The Fall refers to, given some of the teases we've been getting lately I wouldn't be surprised if it was more metaphorical, with no actual "falling" taking place during the series.
Old February 8 2013, 12:28 AM   #89
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

My guess is that it's the Typhon Pact.

Although with the Super Bowl ad for the next film promising...

I can see the novels going "Bitch, please!" and killing the entire UFP. Especially with David Mack involved.

Still doubt it. But not as ridiculously impossible an idea as it would have been a decade ago.
Old February 8 2013, 12:32 AM   #90
Markonian
Captain

^ At the very least, aren't there multiple future time periods (in both onscreen canon and current Treklit) that clearly have the Federation's survival assured? The 29th century of Braxton, the 31st century of Daniels, the Jake & Nog framing story from TGTMD, etc.
Not necessarily. The Federation could fall and be rebuild. What do we know about history from the 26th to the 28th century? Compare the fall and reconstruction of the USA in Postman, Shattered Union and Jericho.