Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 7 2013, 01:21 PM   #91
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
This is a month old, but Sony filed a patent for a technology to block used games.

If Sony and Microsoft do block used games, I have absolutely no interest in those consoles. It's not just the cost, but also the fact that I still buy plenty of games for dead consoles. What If I discover some awesome hidden gem on the PS4 after the system is discontinued? I'll never be able to play it?
If The HD twins (Sony/Microsoft) disable used games, I'd need for them to make concessions in other areas like price. I'd very rarely buy a new IP for $60. The only reason Steam can get away with it is because the PC platform charges developers no royalties and the fact that there are no used games gives them pricing parity.
They're not going to drop prices. Absolutely no way. Don't be surprised if today's $60 price point becomes a $70-80 price point next generation, and bans used games, and requires a constant Internet connection.

Who is this supposed to appeal to? I don't know, the most hardcore of the hardcore, who have oodles of disposable income, I guess.

If Sony and Microsoft do ban used games next generation, it will put Gamestop out of business. Gamestop's profit comes almost entirely from sales of used games and consoles. They make virtually nothing on sales of new product. So, that'd be one less brick-and-mortar outlet for games. Hell, maybe that's what Sony and MS want, so they can force you to download everything, at which point resale is totally moot anyway.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 05:52 PM   #92
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well just look at the Wii-u games, i cant believe that they are retailing them at £50.......add to that the silly high price of even the basic console at £250 and its no wonder its sitting on the shelves.

No way in a hundred years would i drop £50 for a game, i mean a large portion of them are mutiplat guff with only a few triple A titles here and there, which i have no issue supporting at £39.99.......but £50 a pop.....no thank you.

Game publishers must think people have straw sticking out of their ears if they think £50 a game is going to be the norm. lol....and then on top of they then want you to drop more cash on season passes and DLC for that £50 game. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:06 PM   #93
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Well just look at the Wii-u games, i cant believe that they are retailing them at £50.......add to that the silly high price of even the basic console at £250 and its no wonder its sitting on the shelves.

No way in a hundred years would i drop £50 for a game, i mean a large portion of them are mutiplat guff with only a few triple A titles here and there, which i have no issue supporting at £39.99.......but £50 a pop.....no thank you.

Game publishers must think people have straw sticking out of their ears if they think £50 a game is going to be the norm. lol....and then on top of they then want you to drop more cash on season passes and DLC for that £50 game. lol
Sounds to me like console manufacturers and game publishers just like ripping off you Brits with a 30% markup (given the exchange rate.)
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:09 PM   #94
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^Nothing new there. lol

Old February 7 2013, 06:16 PM   #95
BigFoot
Admiral

^ I buy most of my games from the UK and I don't think it's that bad. Most new PS3 games are $60 in the US and £40 in the UK so there really isn't much of a difference The prices over here are terrible though... most new games are close to 70€ (more than £80 / $90).
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 07:22 PM   #96
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^^PS3/360 are all at the £39.99 and below mark, they have never really be above that..........Wii-U games on the other hand all seemed to come with that £49.99 price tag.......although funnily enough i have noticed even at Game they have dropped in price about a £5 in the last few weeks.

No doubt that £50 price tag was not helping move many......which would be no surprise. lol.

Though i might be a bit spoiled with the xbox/PS3........i just orders Aliens CM with a Turtle beach xbox headset for £49.99..........i mean talk about a bargain.

Old February 7 2013, 07:31 PM   #97
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well we all know the PS4 and new XBox are coming sometime. The only question is the date.
I think most people are going to get XBOX. PS3 is being forgotten.

Last edited by Captain Picard.; February 7 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 07:34 PM   #98
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Uh huh... right. That may be the dumbest thing I've heard all day, and I work with a couple of idiots.

^^^PS3/360 are all at the £39.99 and below mark, they have never really be above that..........Wii-U games on the other hand all seemed to come with that £49.99 price tag.......although funnily enough i have noticed even at Game they have dropped in price about a £5 in the last few weeks.

No doubt that £50 price tag was not helping move many......which would be no surprise. lol.

Though i might be a bit spoiled with the xbox/PS3........i just orders Aliens CM with a Turtle beach xbox headset for £49.99..........i mean talk about a bargain.
Ah I see, I don't pay any attention to Wii-u prices.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 07:42 PM   #99
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
Well we all know the PS4 and new XBox are coming sometime. The only question is the date.
I think most people are going to get get XBOX. PS3 is being forgotten.
There are over 72 million reasons why you're wrong.

http://www.vgchartz.com/
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 07:58 PM   #100
RoJoHen
Awesome

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
I think most people are going to get get XBOX. PS3 is being forgotten.
There are over 72 million reasons why you're wrong.

http://www.vgchartz.com/
Yeah, and while I realize that my experience is not necessarily indicative of the whole world, I'd say it's pretty evenly split down the middle between people I know who have PS3 and XBOX.
Old February 7 2013, 08:01 PM   #101
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I expect it'll drop over time. I remember Xbox 360 and PS3 games being around £45.99 or more when they first launched. then came down, with Wii coming out around £40 and dropping over time too. I expect the same will happen with the Wii U. But I'm with you, I refuse to pay more than £35-40.
Old February 7 2013, 08:02 PM   #102
RoJoHen
Awesome

Where do you guys live? Brand new PS3/XBOX games are always $60 around here and have been for years.
Old February 7 2013, 08:10 PM   #103
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post

I expect it'll drop over time. I remember Xbox 360 and PS3 games being around £45.99 or more when they first launched. then came down, with Wii coming out around £40 and dropping over time too. I expect the same will happen with the Wii U. But I'm with you, I refuse to pay more than £35-40.
I was looking to replace my Wii for the reason of having the Wii-U upscaling all the Wii games to a better res, i know they wont be HD but a sharper crisper Wii game would have been nice.

But i will have to wait till it drops down in price.....cant justify that £250 for the basic bundle alone......and i'm tight.

Old February 7 2013, 08:22 PM   #104
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Where do you guys live? Brand new PS3/XBOX games are always $60 around here and have been for years.
In the UK, but what you have to remember is they're basically making extra money out of us at the £40-45 mark. $60 is around £35, so over the years to stay competitive retailers have moves it to closer to actual exchange rate.

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post

I was looking to replace my Wii for the reason of having the Wii-U upscaling all the Wii games to a better res, i know they wont be HD but a sharper crisper Wii game would have been nice.

But i will have to wait till it drops down in price.....cant justify that £250 for the basic bundle alone......and i'm tight.
It apparently doesn't upscale in the PAL regions. It's locked to SD progressive. If I remember what I read. So it looks better than Wii on the standard AV cable but isn't scaled to HD.
I luckily got my 32gb version for £199, otherwise I wouldn't have it. And I've just picked up ZombiU for £29.99.
Old February 7 2013, 08:24 PM   #105
Kelthaz
Commodore

Just use Dolphin for 1080p goodness. Sure, it's technically illegal to download the games, but if you already own them it's a victimless crime. Check out this video of Super Smash Bros. Brawl running at 720p.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote