Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 6 2013, 10:47 PM   #61
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: (SPOILERS!) About the SuperBowl Trailer...

I know, I just found it interesting.
Old February 6 2013, 10:49 PM   #62
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Found it.

Look at that - the fire on the saucer right where ENTERPRISE is burned off in the scenes of the ship falling to Earth...
Old February 6 2013, 10:57 PM   #63
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

It's like Pixar and their "spoilers" in previous movies.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 11:06 PM   #64
Franklin
Rear Admiral

The similarities in damage could be because that's where phaser banks are located on the saucers, especially forward ones around the name and number. Could be the people making the CGI were all thinking that an enemy might target the weapons systems (and warp engines, for that matter).
Old February 6 2013, 11:46 PM   #65
throwback
Captain

The banks on the starboard and port sides were left untouched by the enemy. And, if an enemy was targeting weapons system, wouldn't it be better if they used precision targeting? It looks to me that someone was deliberating attempting to erase the name Enterprise from the hull.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 12:10 AM   #66
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Although I'm not discounting the theory, an attacker might want the name scratched off the hull... it's very interesting in a way actually... There are probably just some phaser banks near the lettering, and an enemy just knows exactly where the ship needs to be hit to render it defenseless. Those turrets (or whatever term describes those raised sections with beam emitters on them) explode, leaving damage in the surrounding area. Coincidentally blackening the name out because the hull plating has been charred by several large after explosions.
Old February 7 2013, 12:47 AM   #67
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The shot of the ship crashing into the water at the end of the first trailer is clearly not the Enterprise. You can't tell much about the saucer or the secondary hull but the pylons and nacelles are nothing like the new 1701. It could be a ship that Harrison has stolen, it could be another starfleet ship (Pike's?) that's a casualty of a multi-ship battle, or...

Take a look at this:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...tartrek172.htm

Pylons and nacelles that don't seem to be like the new 1701! Could just be bad draftsmanship, but maybe the severe damage we're seeing in this new trailer happens earlier in the movie after all. Maybe we get a refit halfway through the movie. Time will tell.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 05:26 PM   #68
Xerxes1979
Captain

Can someone rotate a 3D model of the new Enterprise against this still to prove that this is a different starship class?

Old February 7 2013, 05:43 PM   #69
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's not the Enterprise hitting the water, it's this ship:

I found this pic online. It's from the trailer shown at the end of the 9-minute preview.
Old February 7 2013, 07:04 PM   #70
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Xerxes1979 wrote: View Post
Can someone rotate a 3D model of the new Enterprise against this still to prove that this is a different starship class?
Yours is pretty muddy...

There seems to be a difference in the shape of the nacelle and the strut looks to have a bend in it. The struts also seem to come from the center at a different angle than the ones on the 1701.
Old February 7 2013, 07:19 PM   #71
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, King Daniel! Excellent find! That sure looks like it could be the ship that's crashing into the water. At this point I don't feel comfortable making any predictions beyond saying that the crashing ship is definitely not the 1701 from the first movie. Beyond that, it could be another federation ship (we're bound to see a few), or a rental, or, given the pace of the last movie, we might get multiple refits over the course of a couple hours, culminating in the 1701-JJ.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 07:27 PM   #72
Franklin
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
It's not the Enterprise hitting the water, it's this ship:

I found this pic online. It's from the trailer shown at the end of the 9-minute preview.
I don't mean to throw a bucket of cold water on the pic (badda-bing!), but that looks like a very blurry picture of a starship by a cratered moon, with some sort of space station or other ship on the right side of the picture. Not a ship underwater or even about to hit water. Just my take.
Old February 7 2013, 07:31 PM   #73
BillJ
Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
...with some sort of space station or other ship on the right side of the picture.
That's Kirk taking a space dive.
Old February 7 2013, 07:33 PM   #74
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
...with some sort of space station or other ship on the right side of the picture.
Oh, yeah. I can make out the boots and the rest of the shape, now. Unless you just planted that image in my head with your suggestion.
Old February 7 2013, 07:36 PM   #75
BillJ
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Oh, yeah. I can make out the boots and the rest of the shape, now. Unless you just planted that image in my head with your suggestion.
I thought it was a space rock until you said space station, then I had to go take another look.