Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 7 2013, 05:42 AM   #121
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: More Star Wars films announced

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
Regarding the prologue from ADF's novelization of ANH:

. . . Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people, and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the Imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.
. . . From the First Saga, Journal of the Whills

-- STAR WARS: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, New York: Ballantine, 1977; Hardbound Ballantine Books Edition: October 1977. First Edition: December 1976. Page 1.
No reference to any other Emperors.
Yeah, it's later in the book. I never said it was in the prologue.
Old February 7 2013, 05:52 AM   #122
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

At least he had the Emperor more or less figured out all along and his character wasn't just some CGI addition thrown into the Special Editions for the hell of it. Here's another fun fact: the 1976 novelization of the original film was the very first mass-market Star Wars collectible, well over a full year before the very first Kenner action figures ever hit. A mint or near-mint first edition of the book is one of the most valuable SW items on the current market, rivalling some of the rarer action figures from the original line.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 05:53 AM   #123
sojourner
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Regarding the prologue from ADF's novelization of ANH:

. . . Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people, and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the Imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.
. . . From the First Saga, Journal of the Whills

-- STAR WARS: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, New York: Ballantine, 1977; Hardbound Ballantine Books Edition: October 1977. First Edition: December 1976. Page 1.
No reference to any other Emperors.
Yeah, it's later in the book. I never said it was in the prologue.
So the prologue contradicts something later in the book? Interesting. I may have to re-read my copy for the first time in 30 years.

Hehe, my copy is a December 1976 first edition. Lucas is listed as the writer with no mention of ADF and it has the original McQuarrie preproduction art on the cover.

Last line of the prologue -
"They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, naturally they became heroes" - Leia Organa of Alderaan, Senator

ETA: sigh, after reading Cooleddies post, I am wishing mine was in near mint condition instead of well used but still holding together.
Old February 7 2013, 05:55 AM   #124
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Hehe, my copy is a December 1976 first edition. Lucas is listed as the writer with no mention of ADF and it has the original McQuarrie preproduction art on the cover.
Hold onto it. It's worth a few bucks if you kept it in terrific condition.

Old February 7 2013, 06:14 AM   #125
sojourner
Admiral

Nope, it's in average condition for a 35yr old book. If I recall correctly, mom found it in a garage sale in the early 80's and gave it to me, so it wasn't in "mint" condition when I got it. Though at least it hasn't gotten any worse since then. I tend to take care of my books.
Old February 7 2013, 06:20 AM   #126
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

I loved those old '80s and '90s garage sales. You could find Star Wars and Star Trek items if you were in the right place at the right time. One sale I ran into had a person selling their Darth Vader action figure carrying case with quite a handful of original Kenner figures inside. They wanted a little more than I was willing to pay for a case and figures I already had, but it was fun cracking open Vader's head and seeing a few classic Stormtroopers, droids and Rebel troopers staring back at me, most still having their original weapons and accessories.

As amazing as the current era of collecting has been, nothing will ever touch those old school Kenner figures for pure nostalgia and fun.

Old February 7 2013, 06:29 AM   #127
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ That Vader head case was the best.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:31 AM   #128
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

I have two of them. They also made a gold C-3PO carrying case along the same lines but it was never as popular.

Old February 7 2013, 06:35 AM   #129
billcosby
Commodore

So is this Yoda outing going to be a young Yoda scenario, like 900 years ago? The end of the Old Republic?

I wonder if the TV series Star Wars: Underworld has actually 'gone under' and the Boba Fett film is going to be the end result of that? The rumor was that he was the lead. Great chance to use a grown-up Daniel Logan.

As for Han, fingers crossed because this could be the royal fuck up of them all, if he's too young. Can't abide/endure another Jake Llyod.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:39 AM   #130
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Han was only 29 years old at the time of A New Hope so they have to get somebody that looks at least somewhat like a younger Harrison Ford or else it won't be too believable. I'm trying to think of a really good character actor with chops who sort of resembles Ford in the 1970s but I'm drawing a blank....anybody got any ideas?

As for a Yoda film, remember that he said in Empire that he spent 800 years training other Jedi, which means that he became a Master before he was even one hundred years old. I'd like to see a movie set 800 years before the prequels and OT at a time when Yoda is a fresh, new Jedi Master taking on his very first Padawan apprentice. It'd be interesting to see the Republic centuries before the era of its corruption and downfall in the Prequel Trilogy. A Yoda who's only in double digits in age might be a very cool thing to see. If he's that powerful and quick in combat at the age of 875 then how amazing would have have been at one-tenth that age?

Old February 7 2013, 06:53 AM   #131
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

sojourner wrote: View Post
Has there ever been an edition of the ANH novelization that acknowledges that ADF ghosted Lucas?

It is, of course, common knowledge (and there's even a paragraph or so about it on ADF's web site, the gist of which is that he never had a problem with the situation), but I wouldn't expect the writer's credit to change.

(And anybody who grew up on any of the Stratemeyer juvenile novel series [The Bobbsey Twins, in my case] is familiar with anonymously ghosted books, whether they realize it or not: neither "Franklin W. Dixon," nor "Carolyn Keene," nor "Laura Lee Hope" were ever real people, nor even pseudonyms for any one writer, once any given series got past the first 2-3 volumes. Edward Stratemeyer was the man who invented "book packaging.")
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 08:31 AM   #132
sojourner
Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
One sale I ran into had a person selling their Darth Vader action figure carrying case with quite a handful of original Kenner figures inside.
Sounds like you went to my next door neighbor's house around 1984

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I'm trying to think of a really good character actor with chops who sort of resembles Ford in the 1970s but I'm drawing a blank....anybody got any ideas?
Not sure how good an actor he is, but there was a guy on Once Upon a Time in a bit part last season that I thought looked like a young Harrison. Think he was a teacher or coach at the school.
Has there ever been an edition of the ANH novelization that acknowledges that ADF ghosted Lucas?
Don't know, this is the only copy I've owned.
Old February 7 2013, 11:56 AM   #133
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Empire has a list of their top 9 choices for who should get a stand-alone movie.

For those who can't be bothered to read the article they went with:

Boba Fett
Darth Maul
Yoda
Mace Windu
Han Solo
Chewbacca
Lando
Admiral Ackbar
Porkins

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 12:08 PM   #134
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Empire has a list of their top 9 choices for who should get a stand-alone movie.

For those who can't be bothered to read the article they went with:

Boba Fett
Darth Maul
Yoda
Mace Windu
Han Solo
Chewbacca
Lando
Admiral Ackbar
Porkins
Sausage fest! How about a romantic comedy staring a young Princess Leia?
Old February 7 2013, 01:32 PM   #135
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I would like to see a Leia movie, maybe not a romcom but showing how she came to be an important part of the rebellion.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote