Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 6 2013, 06:06 AM   #16
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: I need a new fantasy series to read

Another vote for the Bas Lag series, as well as Jeff Vandermeer's Ambergris series, and John R. Fultz Seven Princes / Seven Kings books.
Old February 6 2013, 06:44 AM   #17
JD
Admiral

Since some others recommended The Dresden Files, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend a couple of my favorite Urban Fantasy series.
The Hollows/Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison- Follows a witch in an alternate universe where, after genetically modified Tomatoes wiped out half of the human population, Vampires, Werewolves, Pixies, Witches, ect, (Inderlanders) came forward and now exist openly alongside the surviving humans. The series is set in Cincinnati, where the main character operates an independent detective agency alongside her Vampire roomate, and her Pixy friend. I've only read 2 of the 11 novels, and 1 of the 2 graphic novels in the series so far, but I absolutely loved all three of them. It has one of my favorite casts of any novels series I've read. There is also a short story collection and a companion book I haven't read yet.
Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews (actually a pen name used by Ilona and her husband Gordon)- Takes place in a near future (according to the timeline on the authors' website the 5 books released so far take place over 2040-2041) where magic goes through an unpredictable cycle of rising and falling. When magic is up technology stops and magic works, and when magic is down tech works and magic doesn't work. The series takes place in a post-apocalytic Atlanta, where the main character works as a mercenary mage. The series also features Vampires, Weres and other mythical creatures existing openly alongside regular humans. I've only read 1 of the 5 books in the series so far, but I loved it too. Kate is a fun, kick ass, sarcastic narrator, and there is a really interesting world built up around her.
Old February 6 2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
A lot of people who enjoy A Song of Ice and Fire also enjoy R. Scott Bakker, so you might want to check out his work. The Darkness that Comes Before is the first book.
I haven't heard of him so I'll have to check it out since I'm a big Martin fan. In general, Martin has ruined me for fantasy as I find that nothing else holds a candle to ASofIaF.
Don't count on Bakker's characters having nearly the charm of Martin's. He builds a compelling world but I honestly couldn't give a shit about a single person or plot. I finished the first book, put it down, and immediately forgot the whole thing.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 05:18 PM   #19
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I'm not sure that Bakker, who I haven't read yet and may never get around to, is particularly like Martin; it's just that there's an overlap between the two fanbases. Joe Abercrombie is another one a lot of ASOIAF fans seem to like. So is Steven Erikson, who the OP has tried and didn't care for. I didn't get much out of Gardens of the Moon either. Daniel Abraham, a frequent collaborator of Martin's and the script writer for the ASOIAF comic adaptation, might also be worth a look; his Long Price Quartet is pretty sharp character-driven fantasy, though it starts a little awkwardly.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; February 6 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 05:33 PM   #20
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure that Bakker, who I haven't read yet and may never get around to, is particularly like Martin; it's just that there's an overlap between the two fanbases.
Well as that sort of recommendation: I hear a lot of his fans like Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series. I have no idea how good it is though (and it's a mere two books in, anyway).
Old February 6 2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I think some kind of objective benchmark in giving recommendations is usually more helpful than everybody listing their favorite fantasy series, regardless of how different it is from what the requester likes. Not that there's anything wrong with the latter; you never know what will catch whose eye.

The Lynch series certainly might appeal; it's basically caper stories in a fantasy world, gritty and laced with humor that's not unlike Martin's. It's not as concerned with depth of character or theme, at least not so far. Some of that may be entering the picture in the third book, but that's at least five years behind schedule, and with four more to follow at God knows what pace, it may not be worth picking up right now. The books are comparatively standalone, though.
Old February 6 2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I read the OP's spoiler notes about what he liked and what he didn't like. So my recommendation...

Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles or Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. Both are serious attempts at retelling the Arthurian mythos in the historical context. Not a lot of magic, but serious worldbuilding and characterization.

Also, Harry Harrison and Tom Shippey's The Hammer and the Cross, an alternate history of the Viking Age. I'm not as sold on the next two books in the trilogy, but I think the first is great.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And there's always the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series by Fritz Leiber.
Best. Fantasy. Ever.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 03:44 AM   #23
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I have to recommend the writings of Micheal Moorcock. Particularly the Elric Saga, The Hawkmoon Runestaff Saga, and Corum.
Old February 7 2013, 07:24 AM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

If we're recommending old classics, I think everyone should read Robert Howard's Conan stories. Still some of the best fantasy tales ever written, in my opinion, and I'm always surprised that so many fantasy fans are unfamiliar with them.
Old February 7 2013, 01:24 PM   #25
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The Elric series by Michael Moorcock is great fun. Ninja'd by Davros. The Amber saga by Roger Zelazny is another great read, particularly the first series which features Corwin.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 05:34 PM   #26
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The Amber saga by Roger Zelazny is another great read, particularly the first series which features Corwin.
Absolutely. I just finished the Audio Books a couple months back and loved them all, including the Merlin Cycle

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:26 PM   #27
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

TerryBrooks Shanara trilogy.
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 09:00 PM   #28
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartima...imaeus_trilogy
Old February 8 2013, 04:01 AM   #29
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The Amber saga by Roger Zelazny is another great read, particularly the first series which features Corwin.
Absolutely. I just finished the Audio Books a couple months back and loved them all, including the Merlin Cycle
I enjoyed the Merlin cycle much more the second time through after I'd put the books aside. The tonal difference from the Corwin cycle had not been very enjoyable when I first read it. The second time through was a lot more satisfying. I wish Zelazny' had had the chance to continue the Amber series from where it ended with Merlin.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 04:26 AM   #30
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I do love A Song of Ice & Fire for the complex three dimensional characters and political intrigue, but the gritty realism thing, uh, not really a fan. It works well in this series, but it's an exception to what I normally enjoy. Reading about seriously flawed heroes who live in a Crapsack World just isn't my idea of fun. It's exhausting. I appreciate the suggestions, but the ones I've looked into come across as too dreary for me. You can be serious without losing your sense of fun, whimsy, and adventure. Ideally what I want is something with the characters and tone of Discworld with the storytelling of A Song of Ice & Fire. Basically Buffy or Xena or even Babylon 5 in novel form.

I'm leaning towards checking out Tigana based upon this review of it. It also has a high rating on Amazon, so it seems like a safe bet.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote