New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 7 2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Episode of the week: Where Silence Has Lease

I tried to start a new thread naming standard with the season premiere, but I forgot to mention it in the post. From now on I would like to include the season and episode index in the thread name. Thus last week was Episode of the Week: 2x01 The Child, this week would have been Episode of the Week: 2x02 Where Silence Has Lease, and next week should be Episode of the Week: 2x03 Elementary, Dear Data.

Also please use the tng episode of the week tag. If the thread creator doesn’t include the tag, anyone can add it later with the Edit Tags link.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 12:01 PM   #17
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Captrek wrote: View Post
I tried to start a new thread naming standard with the season premiere, but I forgot to mention it in the post. From now on I would like to include the season and episode index in the thread name. Thus last week was Episode of the Week: 2x01 The Child, this week would have been Episode of the Week: 2x02 Where Silence Has Lease, and next week should be Episode of the Week: 2x03 Elementary, Dear Data.

Also please use the tng episode of the week tag. If the thread creator doesn’t include the tag, anyone can add it later with the Edit Tags link.
I noticed that after I had posted. Unfortunately this board does not allow editing of thread name once you have submitted the thread. Apologies.
Old February 7 2013, 10:31 PM   #18
Mutai Sho-Rin

Re: Episode of the week: 2x02 Where Silence Has Lease

I edited the title per Captrek's request.
Old February 16 2013, 12:09 AM   #19
inflatabledalek
Captain

Captrek wrote: View Post

I was actually going to suggest (cheekily as it wouldn't likely be me having to do the leg work) having a stickied thread with links to all the "Episode of the Week" threads so people could find them easily for all their episode specific discussion needs. I wasn't aware of the tag function (I know this may seem really, really stupid, but I think this is the first forum I've been on to have it and it never occurred to look) that does the same job with less effort. Top notch.

As for the episode itself... probably best summed up by the teaser. It's random and almost completely irrelevant... but bloody well made, slightly sinister and memorable. Everything that follows is of a similar nature, on paper not the greatest episode ever but behind the scenes everyone seems to be giving it that extra push.

It does annoy me Worf and Riker seem to basically wreck their uniforms in the work out session though, one of the sillier examples of "We wear these clothes no matter what!" which would recur throughout the show.

[I know it's likely they could easily replicate new ones or use FUTURE SCIENCE to completely repair what they're wearing, but many episodes also imply Star Fleet officers have a pride in and respect for their uniforms, you'd think dirtying and tearing them up needlessly when they could have worn more basic exercise clothes would be a big no-no).
Old February 17 2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Ah, this is one of my favorite early episodes. Some things don't jive (I *hate* Worf in this episode), but Nagilum is an awesome villain.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 04:30 PM   #21
Timo
Admiral

Admittedly, Worf is not being his usual self - and one could say the episode puts an emphasis on that very thing, injecting a little "B plot" of Worf having one of his myriad Klingon crises of biology or culture. We know he has been skipping quite a few traditional Klingon rituals; perhaps those are vital for helping him past puberty, and he's now suffering the consequences?

Would Picard and pals really fear for Riker's safety if they merely let the XO join the Worf they know and love (read: openly despise) on a holodeck adventure? Or is the worry in the teaser actually due to the fact that Worf has started behaving erratically, and Riker has offered to try and help the poor Klingon past the crisis, at great personal risk?

The writing is rather incoherent and half the episode consists of filler and fluff, so it's difficult to tell whether there was intent behind Worf's odd behavior - or whether it's merely a very convenient and enjoyable random outcome of a haphazard writing process.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote