IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 6 2013, 01:08 AM   #76
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Unless you know of any PS3, XBox and Wii Emulators for PC.
Dolphin is pretty much perfect for the Wii if you have the computer for it. Even runs the games upconverted to 1080p.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 01:14 AM   #77
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Dolphin is pretty much perfect for the Wii if you have the computer for it. Even runs the games upconverted to 1080p.
And the others?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 01:21 AM   #78
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

And the others?
I'm pretty sure it would be a violation of board rules to link you to the sources you're asking for.
Old February 6 2013, 02:36 AM   #79
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
out of the console business and focus solely on games, which is what they're best at.
What are universally considered the two best consoles of all-time were both made by Nintendo. The most successful gaming device of all-time was made by Nintendo.

Not sure if serious.
Dead serious.

My two favorite consoles of all time are NES and SNES. I love these two even more than PS3 and Xbox 360. N64 onwards sucks balls. I still own my NES and SNES, I sold my 64, GameCube, and my Wii makes an excellent dust magnet. I literally own four games for it. And I have no intention of buying a Wii U because it's going to be a huge waste of money for me just to get it for Zelda and Metroid.
Old February 6 2013, 06:28 AM   #80
CorporalClegg
Admiral

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Ummm... The only console to sell more than the original
I did say "device" not "console." The DS just passed the PS2 in total worldwide sales.
Old February 7 2013, 01:52 AM   #81
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Latest scuttlebutt of the "720" is online always/no used games.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 03:42 AM   #82
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Latest scuttlebutt of the "720" is online always/no used games.

If true they can all it XBox DOA.
Old February 7 2013, 04:17 AM   #83
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

This is a month old, but Sony filed a patent for a technology to block used games.

If Sony and Microsoft do block used games, I have absolutely no interest in those consoles. It's not just the cost, but also the fact that I still buy plenty of games for dead consoles. What If I discover some awesome hidden gem on the PS4 after the system is discontinued? I'll never be able to play it?

Old February 7 2013, 04:19 AM   #84
RoJoHen
Awesome

This is a month old, but Sony filed a patent for a technology to block used games.

If Sony and Microsoft do block used games, I have absolutely no interest in those consoles. It's not just the cost, but also the fact that I still buy plenty of games for dead consoles. What If I discover some awesome hidden gem on the PS4 after the system is discontinued? I'll never be able to play it?
You'd more likely be required to download it.
Old February 7 2013, 05:09 AM   #85
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
You'd more likely be required to download it.
I can't even log into Xbox Live on the original Xbox to download content for some of my games like Crimson Skies. Why should I expect full game downloads for every PS4/720 release years after those systems are discontinued? And what if Sony or Microsoft decides to drop out of the console industry? What if aliens invade and wipe out most of the Earth's infrastructure? I'll still want to play God of War V with my portable generator.

Old February 7 2013, 05:38 AM   #86
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Yeah, I like downloading and Steam and all that stuff but it's nice to know you can get a hard copy when you want one.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:31 AM   #87
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Exactly. I have around 60 Gamecube games. I bought four for full price (Mario, Animal Crossing, Metriod, Zelda), then a couple dozen for $20 or less new. But the rest is a mixture of used and new games that I got for dirt cheap when the system was dying years ago. It's a cool system and I have more fun on it now than most of the newer consoles and that's because used games and old dead systems are really fun for cheap ass gamers.
Old February 7 2013, 12:27 PM   #88
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Ummm... The only console to sell more than the original
I did say "device" not "console." The DS just passed the PS2 in total worldwide sales.
A quick Google fails to present any concrete numbers to go with that widespread claim. Everything links back to VGChartz and I somehow doubt Nintendo wouldn't be shouting that sort of figure from the heavens.

Not that I don't expect it to happen at some point mind you, I just don't think anyone can say for certain yet that it has.

I also wonder if that includes the DSi and DSi XL, which introduced new features that weren't available on the previous models. I'm not sure that quite qualifies as all being one pool of sales any more than pooling all of the iPhone sales together, which would in fact make it the #1 "gaming device" ever.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 12:46 PM   #89
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

If The HD twins (Sony/Microsoft) disable used games, I'd need for them to make concessions in other areas like price. I'd very rarely buy a new IP for $60. The only reason Steam can get away with it is because the PC platform charges developers no royalties and the fact that there are no used games gives them pricing parity.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 01:19 PM   #90
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Some PC developers do charge console prices. Those prices rarely last though.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote