Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old November 23 2012, 06:27 AM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ron Moore interview on Wired.com: answers

The Stig wrote: View Post
You don't have the faintest idea what really happened in the writers room and it's time that you stopped pretending otherwise.
Exactly so.
Old November 29 2012, 11:44 PM   #32
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
And let's not get started with his overreaction to Trek's "perfect people" which led him to create not realisitcally flawed people, but walking bundles of attitude and emo.
Agreed. This, more than anything else is what ruined (whatever small) credibility New Galactica had with me. Kara Thrace in particular was so annoying and offensive that I had a hard time taking her seriously.
^^^^
This has been my issue with nuBSG too as the series went along. This wasn't a case of 'more realistic' characters in that WERE these actually the personalities of people in positions of responsibility in the fleet the Galactica would have been disabled due to utter incompetence in a few weeks and be unable to mount or carry out military operations.
Old November 30 2012, 01:00 AM   #33
gturner
Admiral

During the series and after I was frequently chatting with Bradley Thompson's significant other, Peggy Sue Davis, along with Mrs Ron, of course, and oddly enough Ron Moore's next-door neighbor, who became my Farmville neighbor (small world). Pretty early in season 2, as I recall, Bradley and David Weddle (who work as a team) got an offer to write for CSI Las Vegas, which was a major network show and a big step up from something like DS9 or Voyager, as far as Hollywood goes. So with Ron's whole-hearted support they took the offer, finishing season 2 and then starting on CSI. Peggy Sue ended up going to CSI: NY wrap parties where the Lieutenant Dan band played.

There wasn't much of a mystery, although who knows what other elements may have played into their decision, because any such decision would be complicated.
Old November 30 2012, 02:17 AM   #34
Harvey
Admiral

Thompson and Weddle moved on to CSI during the long hiatus that occurred in the middle of the fourth season, due to the writer's strike, not the second. Their final credit is for writing "Sometimes a Great Notion," which was produced before the hiatus, but aired after it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old November 30 2012, 02:26 AM   #35
Wereghost
Commodore

^ I think SaGN was their penultimate episode, their swansong being Someone To Watch Over Me. Memorable episode, for various reasons. Hadn't actually realised before you'd mentioned it that they'd written SaGN. Got to give them credit for that, I guess.
Old November 30 2012, 02:59 AM   #36
gturner
Admiral

Well, I seem to have my seasons confused (It's been a while), but I'm pretty sure they knew they were switching to CSI quite some time before they left BSG. They also knew they were doing season 2 of Falling Skies pretty early in the airing of season 1.
Old November 30 2012, 03:07 AM   #37
Harvey
Admiral

Wereghost wrote: View Post
^ I think SaGN was their penultimate episode, their swansong being Someone To Watch Over Me. Memorable episode, for various reasons. Hadn't actually realised before you'd mentioned it that they'd written SaGN. Got to give them credit for that, I guess.
You're right. For some reason, my eye just saw those two "S" episodes as being the same when I skimmed IMDB, but they're not.

Looking at IMDB again, it looks as if Thompson and Weddle were supervising producers (and writers) for the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica and the ninth season of CSI concurrently.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old November 30 2012, 03:13 AM   #38
Wereghost
Commodore

^ That could explain a lot.
Old December 10 2012, 02:53 AM   #39
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

"Battlestar Galactica" is currently the third best television show of all time. (According to me, and there is no other source out there that I hold in higher regard.)

That is all.
Old December 30 2012, 04:06 AM   #40
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Honestly, yes. The best parts of the series were the divided fleet arc, the Pegasus arc and the New Caprica arc. The rest of season three and season four weren't as good, and the ending didn't wrap things up as neatly as I would have liked.

But they were still great television that kept me coming back every week. The only standard they failed to live up to was the one set by the earlier seasons. By TV standards it was still brilliant television.
Old February 7 2013, 03:24 AM   #41
John Larocque
Lieutenant Junior Grade

nBSG had a really great first season and first half of the second season but then it went to pieces with the Cylons becoming bland cyphers, the infamous love rectangle, the poorly edited episodes, storylines abruptly dropped, the religious/spiritual mumbo jumbo filling in for the writers as puppetmasters of the characters, a mythology that was half-baked and ultimately went nowhere, the "Ellen/Tighe/Caprica/baby saga, the undoing of Tyrol's paternity on his son, overdosing on angst, the focus on bland politics, the increase of mediocre filler, unlikeable characters who felt less like people and more like pawns in Moore's own little personal anti-Trek experiment--although I find it ironic he pines for the good 'ol Trek days. The critical praise went straight to Moore's head and led the series to eventually become a pretentious bore. I tend to think it is highly overrated."

This used to be my point of view. I'm now rewatching the series with vastly reduced expectations and found that I still managed to enjoy most of season 3. But it's hard to watch an episode like "Resistance" where the ship is being commandeered by Adama's Cylon XO and his Cylon wife, while he's abusing the Cylon Tyrol and accusing him of being a Cylon. Cylon Tyrol's future wife then goes and shoot's Cylon Tyrol's former Cylon girlfriend. I really wonder how well they thought through the whole Dylons / All Along the Watchtower thing...
Old February 7 2013, 10:07 PM   #42
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

I enjoyed NuBSG I hope Ron Moore does more Scifi or maybe Fantasy
Old February 8 2013, 02:51 PM   #43
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

John Larocque wrote: View Post
nBSG had a really great first season and first half of the second season but then it went to pieces with the Cylons becoming bland cyphers, the infamous love rectangle, the poorly edited episodes, storylines abruptly dropped, the religious/spiritual mumbo jumbo filling in for the writers as puppetmasters of the characters, a mythology that was half-baked and ultimately went nowhere, the "Ellen/Tighe/Caprica/baby saga, the undoing of Tyrol's paternity on his son, overdosing on angst, the focus on bland politics, the increase of mediocre filler, unlikeable characters who felt less like people and more like pawns in Moore's own little personal anti-Trek experiment--although I find it ironic he pines for the good 'ol Trek days. The critical praise went straight to Moore's head and led the series to eventually become a pretentious bore. I tend to think it is highly overrated."

This used to be my point of view. I'm now rewatching the series with vastly reduced expectations and found that I still managed to enjoy most of season 3. But it's hard to watch an episode like "Resistance" where the ship is being commandeered by Adama's Cylon XO and his Cylon wife, while he's abusing the Cylon Tyrol and accusing him of being a Cylon. Cylon Tyrol's future wife then goes and shoot's Cylon Tyrol's former Cylon girlfriend. I really wonder how well they thought through the whole Dylons / All Along the Watchtower thing...
I don't get what you mean. The Final Five, when amongst the fleet, had no idea they were Cylons. Personally, I think having Tigh and Tyrol turn out to be Cylons was a great move. Tigh hated Cylons, and Tyrol was afraid of being one, and then you get the whole "ick" factor from Tyrol having carried on a sexual relationship with Boomer--tantamount to having sex with his own child. I mean, come on, that's pretty messed up. I love it.
Old February 11 2013, 05:30 AM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

But it's hard to watch an episode like "Resistance" where the ship is being commandeered by Adama's Cylon XO and his Cylon wife, while he's abusing the Cylon Tyrol and accusing him of being a Cylon. Cylon Tyrol's future wife then goes and shoot's Cylon Tyrol's former Cylon girlfriend.
That just makes it better.
Old February 11 2013, 12:24 PM   #45
Saul
Rear Admiral

Hehe, never looked at it that way. The Cylons had Galactica by the balls the whole time.

I really wonder how well they thought through the whole Dylons / All Along the Watchtower thing...
Gracking Dylons...