Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 29 2013, 02:53 PM   #196
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

[QUOTE=Trek Survivor;7609015Good comparison, though I think Chief O'Hara probably had more lines than Sulu!! [/quote]

You are right--just form memory, O'Hara was in more episodes with more dialogue, and played a larger role than Sulu on ST. Yet Takei thought, "I am...a captain!!"

Slightly off-topic, but I was intrigued to read that the actors who played O'Hara and Commissioner Gordon really DIDN'T get on... it's not just Trek where this sort of thing is focused on.
Yeah, apparently, Neil Hamilton (Gordon) could not stand Repp's fake Irish accent, which he felt was over the top. Someone should have tapped Hamilton on the shoulder and remind him that he's on a show where two guys run around in colorful costumes, and operate out of a cave which just so happend to have an atomic reactor as their car's power source....
Old January 29 2013, 03:07 PM   #197
TheRealSuluh
Ensign

Considering that Shatner has had an acting career for going on 70 years... I'd say that it's less ego and more hard work. Bill's take on life is to always say "Yes!" to anything that comes down the pike because saying "no" shuts any potential doors before they can be opened. Perhaps *that* is why he has been working consistently for so many years? From what I've seen of the man, he seems like a genuine human being who doesn't take himself too seriously. I absolutely love his documentaries.
TheRealSuluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 10:52 PM   #198
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
You are right--just form memory, O'Hara was in more episodes with more dialogue, and played a larger role than Sulu on ST. Yet Takei thought, "I am...a captain!!"
Takei contributed nothing to TOS. He was cast entirely because of his ethnicity and only remains in the spotlight because he whores out his sexuality in the media for attention every 5 seconds. If he was a straight white guy the world wouldn't give a shit about this bland extra from a 60s action show. He's a guy that's built an entire career milking his personal life for attention, whether it be who he's feuding with or wishes to marry. This is to cover up how otherwise talentless and uninteresting he actually is. Not to mention that his camp "Ohhhh myyyyyy!" persona does nothing but set back the media's perception of gay people, for all his pretend campaigning.

It is insanely unfair that George Takei is more famous than say, another recurring non-regular Trek actor like Andrew Robinson. Who actually is a superlative actor with interesting things to say (A Stitch in Time).

Oh, and Takei's performance in that Voyager episode was an embarrassing disaster that made all his bitchy comments over the years regarding Shatner's acting even more laughable.

Rant over.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 12:44 AM   #199
BrownShatner
Lieutenant Commander

Great thread.

I tend to believe most of this was a "work", played up to the fans for publicity purposes. All of these stories and books were coming out while the Trek movies were in active production. If it was in any way personal or bad-for-business, the studio would have put a stop to it.
BrownShatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 02:01 AM   #200
ZapBrannigan
Captain

The STAR TREK films should never have given such important "ensemble" roles to the legacy supporting actors. They didn't work on their craft and it showed. They should have had cameos at most, with new, good actors in the real supporting roles behind Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 02:36 AM   #201
trevanian
Rear Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
The STAR TREK films should never have given such important "ensemble" roles to the legacy supporting actors. They didn't work on their craft and it showed. They should have had cameos at most, with new, good actors in the real supporting roles behind Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley.
Geez, y'know Doohan actually had acting chops before he resigned himself to hiding behind a brogue. I think he always worked on his craft when there was opportunity to do so -- even post TOS he has a few credits.

Mentioning Andy Robinson upthread makes me wish somebody could interview the various folks who screentested for Decker on TMP -- I remember that both Robinson and Tim Thomerson from QUARK tested, as well as Frederic Forrest, who certainly would have imbued Decker with a lot more gusto than Collins (a kind of William Atherton lite, if you've seen Wise's zepplin movie.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 02:42 PM   #202
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Actually, Takei was fine until TUC, when he took the captain's role as a reason to "go boldly." Walter Koenig was actually better in the movies than in the TV series - but then again, he was always the least crabby of the group. Maybe because he was added later, or his own documented low sense of self-worth. He objected to Shatner taking control on the set, but never said the show was an ensemble or that Chekov should have been an Admiral or something. Jimmy Doohan was fine until Generations, which was when he phoned it in. I dunno, I think they did okay for the most part. As much as I don't think Takei should headline the Star Trek Universe, I still consider them all important parts of TOS as a whole and it was cool to have them all reunite.

Not that I would have MISSED Sulu if he bailed, but all the same, I'm glad they were all there.
Old February 7 2013, 03:01 PM   #203
Lance
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Takei contributed nothing to TOS. He was cast entirely because of his ethnicity and only remains in the spotlight because he whores out his sexuality in the media for attention every 5 seconds. If he was a straight white guy the world wouldn't give a shit about this bland extra from a 60s action show. He's a guy that's built an entire career milking his personal life for attention, whether it be who he's feuding with or wishes to marry. This is to cover up how otherwise talentless and uninteresting he actually is. Not to mention that his camp "Ohhhh myyyyyy!" persona does nothing but set back the media's perception of gay people, for all his pretend campaigning.

It is insanely unfair that George Takei is more famous than say, another recurring non-regular Trek actor like Andrew Robinson. Who actually is a superlative actor with interesting things to say (A Stitch in Time).

Oh, and Takei's performance in that Voyager episode was an embarrassing disaster that made all his bitchy comments over the years regarding Shatner's acting even more laughable.

Rant over.
A brutal truth this may be, but brutal or not, it is the truth.
Takei kind of missed the boat on Star Trek. He did have several real opportunities in season one to work on a character, but then he was missing for most of season two and pretty much a walking prop in season three. A regular 'character' Sulu wasn't. Chekov was more fleshed out.

Which leads us to the obvious question: would any of us have really, hand-on-heart, missed Sulu if he hadn't been in any of the movies?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 03:17 PM   #204
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I gotta say I'm surprised at all the negative opinions of Takei/Sulu.

There's no doubt Shatner was the star, and went on to basically be omnipresent late in his career.

I don't have strong feelings about the Sulu's role or the stories that always fly around (Takei told a couple good ones at the San Francisco convention). I have no axe to grind as far as the movies, or the supposed Sulu captaincy/TV show...

I can say that, having met both men multpile times, George Takei is by far the more gracious and genuine person. My wife and I spent a decent amount of time with him and Brad at the convention, and they were just really kind, funny, interesting people.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:11 PM   #205
Grant
Fleet Captain

gracious and genuine person---really "Oh MYYYYY!!!"
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:34 PM   #206
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote:

A brutal truth this may be, but brutal or not, it is the truth.
Takei kind of missed the boat on Star Trek. He did have several real opportunities in season one to work on a character, but then he was missing for most of season two and pretty much a walking prop in season three. A regular 'character' Sulu wasn't. Chekov was more fleshed out.

Which leads us to the obvious question: would any of us have really, hand-on-heart, missed Sulu if he hadn't been in any of the movies?
I couldn't agree more. I liked his character on TOS and his acting for the role he was given was adequate. But he wasn't anything special. The guy capitalized on his Star Trek fame and did NOTHING of note outside the franchise. So, for him to make any kind of stink about Shatner or anyone else is completely out of line. He has said he is very grateful for Star Trek and he should really show it... by towing the line, not taking it for granted, and show some respect for those far more deserving of recognition.
Old February 8 2013, 02:04 AM   #207
ZapBrannigan
Captain

1001001 wrote: View Post
I can say that, having met both men multpile times, George Takei is by far the more gracious and genuine person. My wife and I spent a decent amount of time with him and Brad at the convention, and they were just really kind, funny, interesting people.
The anecdotes seem to universally agree that Takei has always been fantastic at in-person congeniality with the fans, and Shatner largely hasn't been.

On screen though, the supporting cast got more wooden with each movie, and to top it off, they were poorly served by dialog that was by turns stiff, silly, or transparently unnecessary in the plot. Between their own declining acting craft and the bad writing they were given, it was hopeless.
Old February 8 2013, 02:17 AM   #208

The anecdotes seem to universally agree that Takei has always been fantastic at in-person congeniality with the fans, and Shatner largely hasn't been.

On screen though, the supporting cast got more wooden with each movie, and to top it off, they were poorly served by dialog that was by turns stiff, silly, or transparently unnecessary in the plot. Between their own declining acting craft and the bad writing they were given, it was hopeless.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. Kirk, as a character, may be the greatest fictional hero of all time (well, just behind the Doctor, anyway).

Sulu, especially later, was not up to that level at all.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old February 8 2013, 02:23 AM   #209
ZapBrannigan
Captain

Kirk, as a character, may be the greatest fictional hero of all time (well, just behind the Doctor, anyway).
Do you mean the Emergency Medical Hologram (I can kind of see it, Picardo being so good) or Doctor Who?
Old February 8 2013, 02:44 AM   #210

Kirk, as a character, may be the greatest fictional hero of all time (well, just behind the Doctor, anyway).
Do you mean the Emergency Medical Hologram (I can kind of see it, Picardo being so good) or Doctor Who?
Good Lord, Man!

I'm talking about THE Doctor. No offense to my man Kirk, but the Doctor operates on a whole other level.

Of course, JMHO.