New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 4 2013, 06:06 AM   #31
Naira
Rear Admiral

Re: Would you prefer a 4 day week?

Where I work, we have the option of taking short 3-hours leaves twice a month. I've found that to be very convenient. I can use this option to either sleep-in once in a while or, alternatively, get up early (which I don't usually do when I feel I have the day off) and still leave from work around 13:00, which gives me plenty of time to do stuff.

Generally, I like the idea of 4 days weeks, as long as one has a kind of job that this can be arranged without over-stressing said person during those 4 days.
Old February 4 2013, 02:36 PM   #32
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I work flexi time (40.1 hours a week). I winter I'm a bit lazy but in summer I often do 12-14 hour days and then can take Friday off
I love the flexi time because on days like today (blizzard) I can start at 09:00 if I like and in summer when it gets hot I can start at 05:00 and go home at 13:00 before the worst heat comes.

Btw, have you noticed that 24 weekend hours are much shorter than 24 working day hours? Time is more relative than Einstein thougt.
Old February 5 2013, 12:00 AM   #33
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

I work a 35 hr week, 8.75 hrs a day, 4 days a week. My wife also works a 35, but 7 hrs a day 5 days a week. I have to get up a little earlier than her, but it's totally worth it. I try get all the "weekend" chores done on Friday while she's at work, leaving the actual weekend for recreational pursuits.

- Homer
Colonel Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:25 PM   #34
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

A four day week sounds heavenly. But I'd settle for a five day week at this point. I currently work nine to ten hours a day, five days a week, and usually another six to eight hours over a weekend.

Been that way since '08 when there were staff reductions. They have no plans to replace the staff, because we poor salaried grunts get no overtime, so they get 50 to 60 hours a week now without extra pay.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:39 PM   #35
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

My current schedule with tafe allows for one day off per week, which is Thursday. Never worked a 4 day week, it's always been 5 days.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 12:17 AM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
So your proposal was voted down because it would have had a negative impact on the other managers work/life balance. Sounds a valid reason to vote it down. You were in favour because it would improve your work life balance. This is always the problem for some the status quo is better for others something else might be better.
It's almost ironic; the reason that they don't have any friends outside of work is because they spend all of their time at work. As it is, when they cover weekends (currently, one in 4) they end up working 12 days straight without a day off. It became natural to want to hang out with the people you already spend 70% of your life with. Most of them even hook up with/date each other, which has negative consequences when those relationships end.
Many people who do shift work can empathise with that. It can be hard to find the right work/life balance.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 07:41 AM   #37
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Poor Vendikarr Working overtime that much and not even getting payed for it sucks royally! I don't get payed for my surplus hours either but I can at least take some time off in exchange, when there is little to do.
Old February 6 2013, 09:53 AM   #38
Starkers
Admiral

When I first saw that article on the BBC my first though (just readi the title of it) was Great, four day week, 32 or so hours fantastic.

But no, it was just five days work compressed into 4...which is ok I guess, I can't see many people actually being up for only working 32 hours given the commensuratedrop in salary that'd probably go along with it, but I'd love to do that. Then again I guess eventually you'd get used to it and dream of a three day week. I guess you get used to whatever you work. Not so long ago that the six day week was the norm.

I have a friend who does the 4 on 4 off thing, and she loves it because she gets such a long run of days off together. From my perspeective though she's one of the friends I don't see enough because she never seems to be off when we're doing anything, and given her shft is 9-9 she doesn't especially feel like going out immediately after work.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 10:19 AM   #39
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
A four day week sounds heavenly. But I'd settle for a five day week at this point. I currently work nine to ten hours a day, five days a week, and usually another six to eight hours over a weekend.

Been that way since '08 when there were staff reductions. They have no plans to replace the staff, because we poor salaried grunts get no overtime, so they get 50 to 60 hours a week now without extra pay.
How the fuck is that legal? Do you work in a Cambodian shoe factory?
Old February 6 2013, 11:21 AM   #40
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post

Nope, computer programmer. Salaried employee, so I am expected to work as much as necessary and be paid for 40 hours a week. Trust me it sucks.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Old February 6 2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Is this typical for the whole branch or would your company's competitors offer better working conditions? If they did, I'd consider changing to them. They might be happy to get you (with your insider knowledge about their "opponents").

What kind of programming do you do? OS, applications, games, boards, robot/automat programming, tailored software for customers?
Old February 6 2013, 09:22 PM   #42
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Is this typical for the whole branch or would your company's competitors offer better working conditions?
I think it's pretty typical of a lot of industries and offices these days. I am paid hourly, so anything over 40 hours a week would be overtime payments, so my shifts are pretty strictly 40 hours. But since our staffing has been cut so heavily (as in many places all over the country), the salaried folks in our office are expected to pick up the slack (since the same work has to get done regardless of how many employees we have), so they end up having to come in on weekends or stay late in the evenings, or interrupt vacations to get their expected job done. But, they get paid a lot more than I do, so it's a blessing and a curse.

In fact, even for some hourly workers, they just have too much on their plate and stay late to finish up their tasks even though they don't record that time and won't be paid for it, because their supervisors expect it to be done. I have an awesome boss that wouldn't expect such craziness from me.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 09:30 PM   #43
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I have been on 4 day weeks for years. It's great. All the same hours and one less trip across town.
Old February 6 2013, 10:41 PM   #44
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post

Nope, computer programmer. Salaried employee, so I am expected to work as much as necessary and be paid for 40 hours a week. Trust me it sucks.
Go find something else. Life is too short to waste it on jobs like that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 01:20 AM   #45
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Is this typical for the whole branch or would your company's competitors offer better working conditions? If they did, I'd consider changing to them. They might be happy to get you (with your insider knowledge about their "opponents").

What kind of programming do you do? OS, applications, games, boards, robot/automat programming, tailored software for customers?

I've checked with headhunters. It's become the standard. Projects have to be completed on time, no matter how many of us there are. To fail to do so reflects poorly on annual evaluations. Which are used to determine raises and who is first in line when more cuts become necessary. If you're not a 'team player' they don't need you on the team.