Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 6 2013, 08:16 PM   #136
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Without knowing what the exact cues are, it's hard to judge the track listing here but assuming they picked the best ones from each score, this should be a great release.

(Although I'm struggling to figure out why they selected so much material from "The Storyteller", which I rewatched a week ago and can't remember a single note of music from. In general, I'm concerned the McCarthy disc is going to be dreadfully dull as they've mostly selected scores from the wallpaper era, when the show was running alongside TNG.)

Last edited by jb1234; February 6 2013 at 08:27 PM.
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:26 PM   #137
DarkHorizon
Captain

Almost had a heart attack when I read the StarTrek.com page, and it said 300 units! Thank goodness it was a typo! Looks like a great selection - hopefully the tracks that come to mind for certain of those episodes will be the ones they use...

Last edited by DarkHorizon; February 6 2013 at 08:48 PM.
DarkHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:27 PM   #138
Christopher
Writer

The press release conflates the names "Richard Bellis" and "David Bell" into "Richard Bell." Somebody should notify La-La Land.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:41 PM   #139
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

looks like ill have to hold out hope of getting it on torrent or a digital download release if its just 300.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:44 PM   #140
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
looks like ill have to hold out hope of getting it on torrent or a digital download release if its just 300.
It's 3000, not three hundred.

Also, discussing the illegal downloading of torrents is prohibited on this message board, never mind the fact that anyone who does download torrents is essentially engaging in criminal theft.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:47 PM   #141
Phily B
Fleet Captain

they fixed it to 3000 so ill probably buy a copy and i dont care.
Old February 6 2013, 08:50 PM   #142
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's a specialty label. They never get the digital rights to the music. It was always going to be CD-only.
Old February 6 2013, 08:55 PM   #143
Phily B
Fleet Captain

just kind of annoying being in the UK i think the ron jones stuff was finally release on DD.
Old February 6 2013, 08:55 PM   #144
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

Looking forward to this more than their TNG Boxset.

Last edited by The Caretaker; February 6 2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Press release already posted.
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:59 PM   #145
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

just kind of annoying being in the UK i think the ron jones stuff was finally release on DD.
A very notable exception. I'm not sure what deal they made to make that happen.
Old February 6 2013, 09:05 PM   #146
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

La-La Land Records didn't put out the Ron Jones box set. Film Score Monthly did. And while the two labels do work together on various projects, it doesn't necessarily follow that just because they got one released digitally, they'd be able to do so automatically for all of them.
Old February 7 2013, 01:26 PM   #147
Art Vandelay
Captain

So the track listing is out now. It is only 73.2% as bad as I had expected a few days ago - ah well.

Puzzling to see we get The Visitor again when disc space is at a premium - that episode already had a rather comprehensive suite on one of the Best-ofs.

I think that Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang would have been a much better inclusion instead of Our Man Bashir. A soundtrack by the same composer, in the same vein, only vastly superior. The wall-to-wall music of the entire heist scene is quite spectacular - as is the training/slomo walking down the promenade in 60s get-up montage.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:46 PM   #148
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Art Vandelay wrote: View Post
So the track listing is out now. It is only 73.2% as bad as I had expected a few days ago - ah well.
As opposed to... not getting an album at all? Come on.

Puzzling to see we get The Visitor again when disc space is at a premium - that episode already had a rather comprehensive suite on one of the Best-ofs.
True. But it could be that being that it's also such a popular episode, the label wanted to include it. Or maybe the composer (McCarthy) insisted on including it because he likes it or feels its some of his best work. Or, maybe La-La Land didn't want to deal with the possible fan outrage of it not being included, because come on, let's be honest here - we outrage over the silliest things sometimes.

I think that Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang would have been a much better inclusion instead of Our Man Bashir. A soundtrack by the same composer, in the same vein, only vastly superior. The wall-to-wall music of the entire heist scene is quite spectacular - as is the training/slomo walking down the promenade in 60s get-up montage.
Yeah, but look at it this way. The music from "Our Man Bashir" has never been released or available outside of the actual broadcast episode. Meanwhile, Frontier himself has a rip of the jazzy slo-mo scene music you're talking about available for download over at TrekCore. It's entirely possible that La-La Land didn't bother to include that music because it's already "out there." I mean, why waste disc space with something people can (and have been able to) get for free for the last 14 years?
Old February 7 2013, 07:51 PM   #149
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Disc four has "What You Leave Behind." That may be enough to convince me to purchase this (though I am sure I'll love the other stuff on this release, too)!
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 02:02 AM   #150
Section 31 1/2
Ensign

Some interesting selections. There are plenty I am looking forward to on the McCarthy disc such as "The Die Is Cast", "Far Beyond The Stars" and "Once More Unto the Breach." While others I cannot recall any cues from "The Storyteller", "Life Support", or "Explorers" so we'll see.

On the Chattaway disc I am looking forward to "The Search", "One Little Ship", "A Call To Arms" and "The Changing Face of Evil." I forgot about "Broken Link" and just re-watched it and it had a few majestic cues. But "By Inferno's Light" and "Strange Bedfellows" I cannot recall much. I was surprised to see the omission of "Bada-Bing Bada-Bang"

Glad the guest disc is Bell heavy. Looking forward to "Sacrifice of the Angels" and "Take Me Out" the most. As well as Gregory Smith's "Field of Fire."

Final disc looks good.
Section 31 1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote