RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,702
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 752
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Body Electric.
Outstanding 31 31.31%
Above Average 38 38.38%
Average 25 25.25%
Below Average 4 4.04%
Poor 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25 2013, 01:39 AM   #211
Lord Lunacy
Commander

Re: TNG: The Body Electric by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Lord Lunacy wrote: View Post
Now, the writers could have come up with some techno-solution to keep all three of them alive, but that would have cheapened the episode...
Yeah, it would've been a copout. What I love about VGR's first couple of seasons was the producers' fondness for forcing Janeway to face hard ethical choices. "Death Wish" was another great example.
For all its flaws, that's what kept me watching Voyager, to see what moral dilemma they'd slap Janeway with from one week to the next.
Old January 25 2013, 09:00 PM   #212
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

Thrawn wrote: View Post
I really liked this one. I'm surprised at the bleh reaction from a lot of people. I loved snarky, sure of himself Wesley Crusher, I thought the threat was poetic if not especially scary, and Data was fascinating.

This whole trilogy felt like a novelization of the best three episodes from a whole TV season, in a really good way. Kept that TNG balance nicely of character piece / politics / sense-of-wonder in roughly equal parts (only leaving out the Planet Of The Week trope, which I'm thankful for), gave everyone a chance to shine or have some real development, lots of morality and contemplation of what it means to be human. Very TNG, very well done.

The only thing that ends up bothering me in the final analysis is the Breen. I know Mack loves them, but it would've felt a little more TNG-like if we'd had a classic TNG adversary; the second book felt like it could've just as easily been Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Silent Weapons. But the political element there is consistent with a lot of political episodes on TNG, and so in the end it's still a nice balance.

Great stuff. Not Destiny-great, but really solid.
Thrawn summed it best for me too Not the first time.. probably won't be the last time either
Old February 2 2013, 01:52 AM   #213
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Mine came late, unusually, so it took me a while.

Overall, I'd say fun. The sheer scope of the problem--hundreds of millions of galaxies--and the exceptional risk if the worst happened made this a book that had a preordained sort of ending for me. The path to the ending, though was enjoyable.

rfmcdpei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:29 AM   #214
shanejayell
Captain

Good but not great. I'm hoping this gets followed up on... will Data return to Starfleet? Will Lal start dating nd Data become the scariest Dad ever? Will Worf take a promotion? Will Picard finally retire?
Old February 2 2013, 06:57 PM   #215
Reanok
Commodore

I definitely would like to see books that continue Data's adventures .I certainly liked this miniseries bravo.I was so glad David Mack brought Data back in this series of books.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 01:38 PM   #216
Mage
Fleet Captain

You know, I for one really hopes that Data doesn't return to Starfleet. Considering the ending of this book, I can't see Data just going back to Starfleet life now. I can see him wanting to explore this new life he has, instead of going back to his old life.
Old February 3 2013, 11:01 PM   #217
JD
Admiral

I doubt that this will be the last we see of Data. I haven't gotten to the CE books yet, so I don't know his exact situation at the end, but I find it hard they would bring back a character as popular as Data, and not continue to use him. I could see him being downgraded to a recurring character, but I don't see him disappearing entirely.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:08 PM   #218
Christopher
Writer

^Well, sure, but whether they use him and whether he comes back to Starfleet are two separate questions. We've had quite a few civilian characters in ongoing roles in various Trek novel series.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 07:28 PM   #219
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

For now it is bettter to have Data as a civilian. Later on if Picard and Worf move on, then maybe.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 09:38 PM   #220
Ood Sigma
Commander

Right. I'd have been disappointed if he'd just gone back to being on the Enterprise. I'm looking forward to seeing him pop up every now and then when the plot requires it (but not just for gratuitous reasons.) I'd expect him to appear in 1-2 of the upcoming The Fall novels, but if he doesn't, I'm OK with that too.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:43 PM   #221
Mage
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Well, sure, but whether they use him and whether he comes back to Starfleet are two separate questions. We've had quite a few civilian characters in ongoing roles in various Trek novel series.
Exactly!! We'll see Data again, no doubt. But hopefully not as a Starfleet officer, if you ask me.
Old February 6 2013, 04:03 PM   #222
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Or if he does return to Starfleet, he should be captain with his own ship. We'll get to see his command style suffusing the ship.
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 09:49 PM   #223
Sci
Admiral

It just occurred to me -- The Body Electric is the ultimate TNG novel. Data at center stage, Picard being stuffy... and Wesley saves the Universe by being obnoxiously smarter than everyone else, even the Body.

Old February 7 2013, 12:08 AM   #224
Markonian
Captain

rahullak wrote: View Post
Or if he does return to Starfleet, he should be captain with his own ship. We'll get to see his command style suffusing the ship.
Maybe he could get... the Enterprise? He finally reserves some new pins on the collar. Who would want to go unpromoted for decades?
Old February 7 2013, 12:55 AM   #225
Christopher
Writer

I think there have got to be more imaginative directions to take Data than just to make him the umpteenth Starfleet captain.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote