Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 6 2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Which character has changed the least in the new universe?

BillJ wrote: View Post
ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
McCoy. Although I don't really agree with how they arrived at that the origin of his nickname. Although his introduction (that of his ex-wife having left him with nothing but his Bones) can be seen as somekind of cinema shorthand to clue an audience in quickly of who he is. In my mind (Yes, I know... fanon isn't canon), McCoy was called "Bones" because of "Sawbones", an old term for a Doctor serving in the military in historical times.
I humbly disagree.

I think the origin that Orci & Kurtzman came up with was brilliant (and those that know me know that I don't use Orci, Kurtzman and brilliant in the same sentence very often). The reason being that no one on the ship called McCoy "Bones" except Kirk. That to me suggests the nickname could be something private between the two men.

As in all things, your mileage may vary.
I would agree with you, save for the fact that it was Urban who came up with it!
Old February 6 2013, 03:31 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
McCoy. Although I don't really agree with how they arrived at that the origin of his nickname. Although his introduction (that of his ex-wife having left him with nothing but his Bones) can be seen as somekind of cinema shorthand to clue an audience in quickly of who he is. In my mind (Yes, I know... fanon isn't canon), McCoy was called "Bones" because of "Sawbones", an old term for a Doctor serving in the military in historical times.
I humbly disagree.

I think the origin that Orci & Kurtzman came up with was brilliant (and those that know me know that I don't use Orci, Kurtzman and brilliant in the same sentence very often). The reason being that no one on the ship called McCoy "Bones" except Kirk. That to me suggests the nickname could be something private between the two men.

I would agree with you, save for the fact that it was Urban who came up with it!
Sweet! Not I can retract my statement that Orci & Kurtzman did something brilliant.
Old February 6 2013, 03:43 PM   #18
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post

I humbly disagree.

Sweet! Not I can retract my statement that Orci & Kurtzman did something brilliant.
Yeah, I think it was Abrams who said it in the movie's commentary that Urban came up with that while filming the scene, it was not scripted.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:11 PM   #19
lurok
Commodore

Yet again proving how awesome Urban is . Must see more of him in new one.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 09:11 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Kirk has explicitly changed from The Original Series - his father died, who we're told was his inspiration for joining Starfleet the first time around. The rest I put down to differences in actor interpretation and youth.

Spock is more volatile (although perhaps no more, having come to terms with himself), McCoy has some meat on his bones, Uhura's more driven, Scotty's more fiery, Chekov's somehow even more enthusiatic (and sprouted transporter skills) and Sulu brings his sword on away missions. Pike is no longer a sexist jerk.

I do wonder if Scotty Prime also beamed Admiral Archer's beagle into oblivion and spent time on Delta Vega....
Old February 6 2013, 09:55 PM   #21
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Kirk has explicitly changed from The Original Series - his father died, who we're told was his inspiration for joining Starfleet the first time around. The rest I put down to differences in actor interpretation and youth.
Another Kirk observation. He also seems to be a bigger klutz. Banging heads on rafters etc. However, Kirk prime could have been a klutz as well I suppose in his youth.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 10:47 PM   #22
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

DarthTom wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
Another Kirk observation. He also seems to be a bigger klutz. Banging heads on rafters etc. However, Kirk prime could have been a klutz as well I suppose in his youth.
To be fair, he was rather hungover. We've never seen Kirk Prime with a big hangover. As for those who say Spock is very different, I'm not so sure. How do we know Spock Prime did not react in much the same way as Spock regarding his appointment to the Vulcan Science Academy "despite your disadvantage"? We know Spock chose an unusual path--Starfleet--in each timeline. There is nothing to suggest he was any less "pissed off" in the original timeline. As for his subsequent "emotional" behaviour, well, there have been enough posts that reference things like "THE WOMEN", his smiling, his past with the woman from This Side of Paradise, the flirtations with Uhura in the early episodes, his smirking in early episodes, and others I'm surely forgetting, to point to a less than fully stoic Vulcan control over his feelings in the TOS era. That makes his even lower degree of stoicism understandable in ST09 as he is younger--and it is exacerbated by the experience of watching his mother die (something he was spared in the original timeline until much later).

In the end, I think Kirk is the most obviously changed character when we first meet him. Spock's experiences in the main body of the story set him up to be significantly changed going forward. McCoy seems pretty much the same, only younger. Scotty seems to be a more frivolous character, though youth comes into play there as well. The rest have very little to compare too, so are free to develop in various ways. All in all, apart from Kirk (and even there, there are many similarities with Kirk Prime), it's actually rather remarkable how they all resemble the prime characters, rather than deviate in nearly unrecognizable ways from them. Part of why I found the film so relatable to my memories and expectations of TOS-era Trek.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 10:49 PM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I think the origin that Orci & Kurtzman came up with was brilliant (and those that know me know that I don't use Orci, Kurtzman and brilliant in the same sentence very often).
According to Karl Urban, he adlibbed the "Bones" line at his audition, and everyone laughed so hard they added it to the script.

As with all the best nicknames that stick, they often have more than one meaning. Certainly the nicknames I had as a kid (and young adult) had several shades of meaning each, depending on who was saying, or overhearing, them.

BTW, Alan Dean Foster hated the "nothing left but my bones" reference and changed the line to "skeleton" in the movie's novelization.

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I think it was Abrams who said it in the movie's commentary that Urban came up with that while filming the scene, it was not scripted.
In the audition. According to Urban at a Sydney convention a few weeks after the film's release. During actual filming, the script was "locked" due to a writers' strike.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 11:09 PM   #24
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I'd go with McCoy he's not changed at all and loved how they explained in a little way why and how he got his nickname "Bones" !!!
Old February 6 2013, 11:17 PM   #25
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Easily McCoy.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:59 AM   #26
I am not Spock
Commodore

McCoy. He's practically the same. It's DeForrest reincarnated.

Kirk I think is totally different. Controversial maybe, but I think he's a bigger douche in this timeline. Shatner's Kirk had his douchey moments, but also his sensitive ones. Pine Kirk is very arrogant and douchey, and no wonder Spock wanted to punch him.
Old February 7 2013, 07:30 AM   #27
Harvey
Admiral

Ovation wrote: View Post
To be fair, he was rather hungover. We've never seen Kirk Prime with a big hangover.
[Picky Fan Mode]

Well, he seemed pretty hungover in TUC:

"You know anything about a radiation surge?"
"Only the size of my head."
"I know what you mean."

[/Picky Fan Mode]

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 04:15 PM   #28
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
[Picky Fan Mode]

Well, he seemed pretty hungover in TUC:

"You know anything about a radiation surge?"
"Only the size of my head."
"I know what you mean."

[/Picky Fan Mode]
There were also several other scenes where he came accross at least to me a little klutzie e.g. running form the monster on the planet where Spock prime was on and Scotty.

Just an impression.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 07:09 PM   #29
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

When running from monsters, you're more concerned with getting away than scoring style points.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 01:53 AM   #30
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

He didn't do one rolly-polly nor any zig-zagging during his evasive maneuvers vs. Baby Cloverfield. Clearly, a very different Kirk.