Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 6 2013, 01:28 AM   #46
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Re: Effects updates you'd like to see for TNG-remastered.

Dukhat wrote: View Post
^He pretty much stayed consistently the same age (thanks to makeup) for the run of TNG and the movies. And dying his hair white didn't affect his age. Plus,at one point (the episode in question escapes me) he did mention feeling hesitant about outliving his friends, making new friends, and outliving them too. That doesn't sound like the words of someone who thought he aged like a normal human.
I don't think Data aging and Data having a maximum life span are the same thing. Granted it may be strange having an android walking around that looks 900 years old...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 01:29 AM   #47
trekker670
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
How about creating a special edition of this episode "Pegasus" where they create a special version which incroperates elements from TATV. :P

Just kidding.
I actually think that would be pretty cool. I know I'm in the VAST minority here though!
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 02:37 AM   #48
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
How about creating a special edition of this episode "Pegasus" where they create a special version which incroperates elements from TATV. :P

Just kidding.
I'm not normally one for changing things but I'd be ok with them replacing the old Oberth class model used for the Pegasus with something new.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 03:15 AM   #49
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Tosk wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
When did the series establish Data aged? I know Soong designed some androids that aged but I don't ever remember Data being one of them.
Geordi in Inheritance: "It's part of her aging program. Not only does she age in appearance like Data, her vital signs change too."
Huh. I don't remember Data being referred to in that line.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 03:48 AM   #50
Tosk
Rear Admiral

That doesn't sound like the words of someone who thought he aged like a normal human.
No one ever said he aged like a normal humn. Just because his appearance changes subtly over time, doesn't mean he will look a human 900 when he gets to 900. And who knows, he may be able to reset the program to 'start from scratch' if he wants.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Huh. I don't remember Data being referred to in that line.
Nevertheless, it's there. You can check if you don't believe me...I won't be offended.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 07:22 AM   #51
Dukhat
Commodore

No one ever said he aged like a normal human.
The line was a comparison between Data and Juliana. Juliana, like Data, will grow old just like the real Juliana would have, the implication being that Data will also grow old at a human rate. But that's obviously not the case. So it's more of a bad choice of dialogue more than anything else.
Old February 6 2013, 07:44 AM   #52
Tiberius
Commodore

The line was a comparison between Data and Juliana. Juliana, like Data, will grow old just like the real Juliana would have, the implication being that Data will also grow old at a human rate. But that's obviously not the case. So it's more of a bad choice of dialogue more than anything else.
Why is it obviously not the case, given that the only person who did portray Data did age at a human rate?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 07:45 AM   #53
t_smitts
Commander

I agree, but I think it's highly unlikely they will use anything other than the original footage of the Bozeman.
You may be right, but it would be nice.

I would too, if only to see what model they used for it. I'm betting it was the Erstwhile. Of course, for this one scene they could create a new ship, one that would actually look like a Starfleet vessel, based on its class designation in the Encyclopedia.
Come to think of it, was the Arcos a Starfleet vessel or just a Federation vessel? The Encyclopedia may have made some speculation on that.

In retrospect, it might've been interesting to see some more non-Starfleet Federation ships now and then (like the Vico). It seems like almost every freighter or transport (like the Jenolen) was Starfleet.

It might have been interesting to see a few ships that belong to government agencies besides Starfleet, or civilian vessels. It might've illustrated the breadth of the Federation, and more importantly, served as a reminder that Starfleet doesn't do everything!

But Vor'chas would still not be large enough to cover the wingspan of the Warbirds as those BoP's do in that scene. They'd have to create an even larger Klingon ship to match the sheer size of the Romulan ships.
Well, for that, you'd probably have to go with a Negh'Var, which certainly wasn't built yet.

Seriously, though, I don't think they'd need to necessarily cover the size those super-BoP's did. Just something a bit bigger that could believably threaten a Warbird.

My only concern is that it might diminish the Vor'Cha's introduction in "Reunion".

And again, anything for season 3 (and probably season 4) is clearly too late at this point.

-Hopefully, we can also finally get rid of that unsightly phaser-from-the-torpedo-tube shot in "Darmok".
That, I could care less about.
Maybe you should try rewatching that episode. That REALLY sticks out!

Any others you'd like to see replaced?
I would love to see more wrecked ships at Wolf 359, and clearer shots of the decommissioned ships at Qualor II.
Meh, I'm pretty good on those.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 04:21 PM   #54
Dukhat
Commodore

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Why is it obviously not the case, given that the only person who did portray Data did age at a human rate?
Because in "All Good Things..." Data looks exactly the same as he did in the show, except for the fake shot of gray in his hair which he did himself. And before people say that AGT never happened or was a reset button, that doesn't matter. It was supposed to be a realistic portrayal of the characters getting older.

And that's why Spiner wanted Data to die in Nemesis, because while Spiner himself was aging, he didn't think that it would be plausible for Data to age as well, being an android.

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Come to think of it, was the Arcos a Starfleet vessel or just a Federation vessel? The Encyclopedia may have made some speculation on that.
The dialogue in "Legacy" itself did not make that distinction; the Arcos was simply referred to as a Federation freighter. But the Encyclopedia gives the class designation as Deneva, which was also the class of the U.S.S. LaSalle, which was referred to in dialogue as a starship. So retroactively the Arcos became a Starfleet vessel. Of course, one can debate that the 'pedia isn't canon so none of that really means anything.

Seriously, though, I don't think they'd need to necessarily cover the size those super-BoP's did. Just something a bit bigger that could believably threaten a Warbird.
My personal preference would have been for them to use the Promellian ship painted green, like they did in DS9. That ship was huge.

My only concern is that it might diminish the Vor'Cha's introduction in "Reunion".
Yes, I'd agree with that.

Maybe you should try rewatching that episode. That REALLY sticks out!
Oh, I've seen it. VFX goofs like that simply do not bother me all that much.
Old February 6 2013, 05:34 PM   #55
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Definately a bad choice of dialogue seeing as in future of "All Good Things" everyone has aged but data still looks the same.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 08:10 PM   #56
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

Looking back on series 1 of TNG HD, I would be fine with them replacing any shot with the 2 foot model with a better quality HD CGI shot....

That ship was not built with a HD future in mind.
Old February 9 2013, 10:57 PM   #57
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

I would want them to recreate all 4 foot model scenes with the CGI model they use (and folks... add a 35 mm movie grain filter to them, so they look like the rest of the show, there is one for FREE on the net in true HD).

As an option of course (Seamless branching, like on the TOS BDs with the original effects). That way they would finally get rid of that fat ugly 4 footer and also eliminate a huge continuity issue (since those 2 ships look nothing alike).
Old February 10 2013, 12:32 PM   #58
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

I'd like to see the wonky Jefferies tube mattes fixed (e.g. this one in "The Game" and this one in "Lessons"). A quick bit of rotoscoping would sort it out.
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 01:06 PM   #59
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I've never understood how someone approved the set extension used in Lessons. It's clearly designed to be used further away, and there it is...inches from the main focus.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 04:03 AM   #60
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Those aren't mattes...they're translights...and they're not meant to be shot at anything but a very narrow angle.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote