Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 5 2013, 06:54 AM   #16
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: TMP Director's Edition Coming To Blu-ray

trevanian wrote: View Post
The TMP DE vfx company was Foundation Imagining. When I tried looking them up just now, I found a company with the same name, but their website can't even spell 'aerial' properly. Turns out FI went out of business early in the run of Paramount's Lil ENTERPRISE series, its assets sold off more than a decade back. So the equipment to re-render the DE animation is ... where? Do you need a render farm to re-output the animation and do so in HD, or can anybody with an old Macintosh handle it? (I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm actually asking does anybody know?)
Foundation used LightWave for their 3D, so all their stuff was off-the-shelf. It'll run on pretty much anything (a friend and I taught ourselves LightWave back in high school on a crappy 300mHz first-generation iMac). LightWave is a dying program in the VFX industry, but there are still companies here and there that use it. I have a few industry buddies who recently started up a LightWave house and have a small render farm for it. And seeing as the file format hasn't changed in a good couple decades, opening and rendering old scenes is doable; current editions of the software can still open files created umpteen versions ago. So it would "merely" be a matter of finding all the objects, scenes and textures and making sure they're up to snuff for HD rendering.

If Doug Drexler's blog is anything to go by, the artists seem to have made off with personal copies of almost all the Foundation Imaging/Eden FX models. It would be hard, but I suspect it's possible – the LightWave community is small and pretty much everyone knows everyone else, so if the files exist, I imagine they could be located and spruced up.

That assumes that Paramount would want to dredge the old work out of mothballs and not just toss it to CBS-D or something to do anew. Like I said, LightWave is becoming passé these days, and even though it can still turn out stellar hard-body work, there's a strong prejudice against it in most of the VFX community now. Everybody is Maya with Mental Ray/Vray/Renderman and the suits may want it done that way so they can rest easy knowing it's being handled "right."

Gep, grumpy former LightWaver.
Old February 5 2013, 06:56 AM   #17
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I hope this is an error and they will release the SLV instead.
Old February 5 2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Grant
Fleet Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I hope this is an error and they will release the SLV instead.

Not a chance in a million.

They are just putting the already pressed dics from 2009 in separate packaging for the first time in the case of movies I, III and V.

This is just a quick cash grab to sell old discs and tie it to the new movies' opening.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:44 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

^Last I checked you can buy individual ST films on BR already. Unless it's because I'm in Region B and in Region A those films have not yet been released as single discs.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 10:13 PM   #20
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP Director's Edition IS NOT Coming To Blu-ray

It's confirmed: the Director's Edition is NOT coming to BR. Linky

Pretty much everything originated on digital or stored on digital begins to degrade (like a decaying orbit) unless the data is migrated regularly.
Excuse me?

Digital is digital. 1 or 0. On or off. Unless the storage medium itself fails (i.e. a hard drive crash), digital media cannot, by definition, degrade.

Last edited by Rķu rķu, chķu; February 5 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 11:29 PM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
They are just putting the already pressed dics from 2009 in separate packaging for the first time in the case of movies I, III and V.

This is just a quick cash grab to sell old discs and tie it to the new movies' opening.
I would be surprised if they didn't at least remaster the discs to include the trailer for the upcoming film rather than the 2009 release. As for the lack of effort otherwise on Paramount's part, it doesn't surprise me.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 11:48 PM   #22
StalwartUK
Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^Last I checked you can buy individual ST films on BR already. Unless it's because I'm in Region B and in Region A those films have not yet been released as single discs.
That's correct. Region B got all the films I-X individualy in 2009-10. In Region A only II, IV, VI and VIII (First Contact) got individual releases.
Old February 6 2013, 01:00 AM   #23
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Excuse me?

Digital is digital. 1 or 0. On or off. Unless the storage medium itself fails (i.e. a hard drive crash), digital media cannot, by definition, degrade.
Untrue. It's called "bit rot" and it affects data stored on magnetic media like hard drives or flash memory if they go too long without being accessed. Storage media are imperfect, and bits can and do flip from one to the other due to a variety of factors. If you leave data alone too long, it'll eventually turn into a garbled mess. It's one of the challenges that makes long-term digital preservation difficult.
Old February 6 2013, 01:15 AM   #24
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
It's confirmed: the Director's Edition is NOT coming to BR. Linky

Pretty much everything originated on digital or stored on digital begins to degrade (like a decaying orbit) unless the data is migrated regularly.
Excuse me?

Do your homework and then get back to me, okay? You sound like my stepdad used to, thinking digital was a perfect, fire & forget situation ... and it is not. I'm not picking on you, my stepdad was an engineer for close to four decades and it took forever to demonstrate to him the limitations and flaws.

EDIT ADDON: sorry, should have scrolled down and seen Gep's reply.

Last edited by trevanian; February 6 2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: apology
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 01:49 AM   #25
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Sorry. I didn't know about bit rot.

But surely a sufficiently robust backup system could include a method to instantly access the data (but not otherwise do anything with it) maybe once a year? A bit like physical therapy on an injured limb.
Old February 6 2013, 02:01 AM   #26
Harvey
Admiral

That solves one problem, but it doesn't address the problem of rapidly changing file formats. That's one of the reasons the Hollywood studios still make new negatives alongside digital masters when they do film restorations. (At least, when they can afford it.) Not only is film a stable medium (well preserved, it should last about a century), but at this point, the medium is not going to go out of date.

Old February 6 2013, 04:51 AM   #27
trevanian
Rear Admiral

If anybody is really interested in this subject, I'd recommend they look up THE DIGITAL DILEMMA and THE DIGITAL DILEMMA 2 ... these should have lit fires under asses, but I think it was more akin to global warming, where nobody wanted to know. I did a piece on restoration and preservation for ICG last year, but I just checked and it isn't online, just in the print version of the mag, so I can't link to that.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 10:58 PM   #28
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
That solves one problem, but it doesn't address the problem of rapidly changing file formats. That's one of the reasons the Hollywood studios still make new negatives alongside digital masters when they do film restorations. (At least, when they can afford it.) Not only is film a stable medium (well preserved, it should last about a century), but at this point, the medium is not going to go out of date.
There can't be conversion utilities for such formats, like there are for computers?
Old February 7 2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Harvey
Admiral

This piece is an interesting primer on the film vs. digital debate. It is obviously tilted in one direction, but it makes its case well.

Old February 7 2013, 11:47 AM   #30
Nightowl1701
Captain

No director's cuts, no special editions, no sale.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote