Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 4 2013, 07:55 PM   #61
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Re: Galileo Restoration Update - Jan 2012

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
It's more like Mom came off the plane with a face transplant from Nick Cage.
No. Not in the least. The cosmetic analogy is by far the most appropriate.
How so? Seriously, I'd like you to explain. If Mom had as much replaced as they're replacing on this shuttle, she'd have to have new arms, new legs, a new face, and probably entirely new skin.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 08:13 PM   #62
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
It's more like Mom came off the plane with a face transplant from Nick Cage.
No. Not in the least. The cosmetic analogy is by far the most appropriate.
How so? Seriously, I'd like you to explain. If Mom had as much replaced as they're replacing on this shuttle, she'd have to have new arms, new legs, a new face, and probably entirely new skin.
I'm talking about the 11 foot model of the Enterprise on display at NASM, not the shuttle.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 11:05 PM   #63
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

And as it appeared upon first reassembly after its arrival at the Smithsonian:

http://airandspace.si.edu/webimages/640/74-3977_640.jpg
The stand is currently on display, next the model. For me, that was an addition I hadn't seen in 1984.

Day 24 - USS Enterprise stand by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 03:11 PM   #64
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

I'm talking about the 11 foot model of the Enterprise on display at NASM, not the shuttle.
Oh. Sorry. I can't keep this thread straight anymore as to which item we're talking about. In the case of the Enterprise model, I agree with you.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 10:18 PM   #65
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

To clarify: were their gridlines on the 11-foot Enterprise model, 1966-69? Painted or physical? Top and/or bottom?

I am learning new things about her lately (see tallywhacker thread).
Old February 5 2013, 10:26 PM   #66
Warped9
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
To clarify: were their gridlines on the 11-foot Enterprise model, 1966-69? Painted or physical? Top and/or bottom?

Yes, the lines were there, drawn on with pencil.

On my 1/350 scale kit I intend to paint the model with primer then sand and apply another coat of primer before the applying the final hull colour. This should reduce the engraved lines to barely noticeable.
Old February 5 2013, 10:41 PM   #67
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Galileo Restoration Update - Jan 2013

Looks like it'll mostly be new material and not much of the original. That's a shame! Not that I think anything else much could've been done.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 10:52 PM   #68
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There were lines and shading on the upper saucer, lower saucer and around the rim.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 11:21 PM   #69
Warped9
Admiral

I've always really liked that pic.
Old February 5 2013, 11:32 PM   #70
plynch
Commodore

Tallywhacker is visible too.

Someone out there read my mind and tell me more things I don't know about this ship I have been loving for 40 years. Maybe this is the wrong thread for that, but try it before a mod notices.
Old February 6 2013, 12:28 AM   #71
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The stand is currently on display, next the model. For me, that was an addition I hadn't seen in 1984.

I assume that's the stand that supported the model for the bluescreen FX work. You can see traces of blue paint remaining on the metal.
Old February 6 2013, 12:35 AM   #72
Warped9
Admiral

Someone out there read my mind and tell me more things I don't know about this ship I have been loving for 40 years. Maybe this is the wrong thread for that, but try it before a mod notices.
On MJ's drawings seen in The Making Of Star Trek you can see what looks like a bow light on the forward upper saucer. Well, they never did install an actual bow light, but there is a circular hole there covered by a frosted translucent circle of plastic that allowed the f/x guys access to the bulb that lighted the three circular windows on the front edge of the saucer. That little circular panel is barely visible (if at all) in most shots seen from above, but it is indeed there.
Old February 6 2013, 04:05 AM   #73
plynch
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
On MJ's drawings seen in The Making Of Star Trek you can see what looks like a bow light on the forward upper saucer. Well, they never did install an actual bow light, but there is a circular hole there covered by a frosted translucent circle of plastic that allowed the f/x guys access to the bulb that lighted the three circular windows on the front edge of the saucer. That little circular panel is barely visible (if at all) in most shots seen from above, but it is indeed there.
Exactly! Stuff like that there. You read my mind and saw what it lacked. My mind to your mind . . .
Old February 6 2013, 05:20 AM   #74
Warped9
Admiral

^^ As such Round2 included it on their 1/350 kit. You can cover it and paint it over or you can leave it as is or you can even light it if desired.
Old February 6 2013, 11:08 AM   #75
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Apparently, the upgraded and illuminated 11' model for "Where No Man Has Gone Before" didn't have gridlines: (Here's an even closer shot that would have revealed gridlines had there been any).

The black & white promotional shot of the "regular" model (1966-1969) apparently shows gridlines that have been added by a pencil. But even in the original VFX footage these are hard to notice or may have been swiped off because of handling during the VFX production (I don't believe they moved the model by using the warp engine pylons as handles), here's an interesting shot from "The Doomsday Machine": Notice the pencil lines near the starboard stern "skylight" which nevertheless only show up as a fragment (i.e. the pencil lines do not appear to be complete).

In close-up shots of the saucer's starboard underside you can also see very tiny pencil lines (so much for the "paint job" myth? These pencil lines match the position of the pencil lines seen in the b&w promotional shot), however these are absent from the saucer's forward underside taken at the same time in the National Air and Space Museum.

As for the 1/350 model kit I feel the gridlines to be vastly exaggerated. At a scale of approx. 1/96 these gridlines were already difficult to detect on the 11-footer and therefore would be extremely hard to be noticable on a model reproduction at a smaller scale - in my humble, biased and personal opinion.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote