RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 431
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 5 2013, 09:17 PM   #136
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: I hope for more traditional space battles

Shazam! wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm not sure a film like that would be a big hit in the current market, much like TMP would flounder in the current market.
And as yours is the deciding voice, what with you working in a high ranking position in the film industry, that's the end of that discussion.
Do you really think films like The Motion Picture or The Voyage Home would do as well in today's market? It's not a commentary on quality, but more about what today's audience is looking for in a sci-fi film.
Old February 5 2013, 09:19 PM   #137
BillJ
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Sarcasm directed against an observant statement that you don't happen to like certainly doesn't reopen it.
We're not actually pitching ideas to high ranking film execs. We're messing about online bouncing ideas around. There is no risk.

Killjoy statements about what studios expect or what the audience cares about or what puts asses in seats serve little purpose other than to piss on others chips.

Or, 'no'.

Whichever you prefer.
So this isn't an open conversation, we're just here to jerk-off to the 'glory days' of Trek?
Old February 5 2013, 09:22 PM   #138
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Infern0 wrote: View Post
<snip>
here is a space battle in Abrams trek

http://www.cardassiaprimera.com.ar/S...-XI-Battle.jpg
here is a space battle in first contact

http://mimg.ugo.com/201008/55233/cut...55_480x270.jpg

[Images converted to links. Images posted inline must be hosted on your own web space. - M']
<snip>
<snip>
no more of this:

http://www.davidbarrkirtley.com/imag...2009screen.jpg

[Image converted to link. Images posted inline must be hosted on your own web space. - M']
It actually reminds me of this

http://mattsmoviethoughts.files.word...9/movie_bg.jpg

as opposed to this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iBuNz7Kv1j.../StarWars1.jpg

[Images converted to links. Images posted inline must be hosted on your own web space. - M']
<snip>
Infern0, you've been asked before not to hotlink images from web space which is not yours, and you've here hotlinked from several different pages not belonging to you. This earns you a warning for hotlinking; comments to PM, and don't do that any more.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:24 PM   #139
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

So this isn't an open conversation about Trek
No, it's a business meeting apparently.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:25 PM   #140
BillJ
Admiral

I'm not the one trying to tell people what they can and cannot discuss.
Old February 5 2013, 09:31 PM   #141
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
Come on, you don't want to see Cumberbatch respond, "Everything" to Kirk's query?
Cumberbatch is why I hold out hope. It's no secret that I fucking hate Nero. I think he's the worst villain in the history of Star Trek. His motives are non-existent ("A Vulcan risked his life to save my wife in time but he was slightly too late so I'm gonna blow up Earth!" WTF!), Eric Bana's performance was Razzie worthy ("FIYUHHH!") and why exactly was he chilling around for 25 years doing nothing?

There is no way but up from Nero as far as I'm concerned and Cumberbatch seems to be delivering as far as the performance goes.
You've also described Soran, the Sona, and Shinzon.

"I'm crazy for some reason and will kill millions of people to get what I want" has been the MO for Star Trek for the past 20 years. You're complaining because it's the same way it's always been...it's just that cinematography has changed since the 80s and gfx have gotten better.
Old February 5 2013, 09:33 PM   #142
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

I cringe at the militant JJ Abrams fawners' posts generally ("Trek should be as much like Mission: Impossible III as it can be!" ) but I'd agree the opening attack on the Kelvin in 2009 is a good sequence. It's a shame the final act of the movie is insanely forgettable and hard to follow in comparison.

<snip>
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
I'd say your five least favorite things are:

5. Lawrence Miles
4. Yourself
3. RTD
2. Generations
1. Nero
Lawrence Miles wrote at least 3 good Doctor Who books so I wouldn't lump him in there. Replace him with George Takei. I fucking hate George Takei.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DS9 was a pretentious bore most of the time, which probably had something to do with its continually declining ratings for seven years; it was the first Trek series to exhibit that pattern.
If you think Star Trek should be as cookie cutter simplistic as possible, it stands to reason you'd hate DS9.
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
I'm so sorry about how low your standards have gotten.
Your posts contain more substance than drooling all over JJ Abrams and declaring every piece of Star Trek before his movie shit, so you win by default.
Who thinks that Modern Trek was a flop?
My Name Is Legion has repeatedly expressed the belief that audiences refuse to accept anybody other than Kirk and Spock and brings up the other show's declining viewing figures. Even though TOS was the quickest live-action Trek show to be cancelled and TNG was a genuine pop culture phenomena. It's an argument that is utterly sound, provided you don't think about it and instead focus on JJ Abrams' lush features.
Warning for trolling; comments to PM.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:34 PM   #143
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

No, but you're doing a great job of discouraging certain avenues.

We know what's likely to be successful / non-successful. It doesn't need spelling out every time someone makes a "You know what I'd like to see..." post.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:36 PM   #144
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure a film like that would be a big hit in the current market, much like TMP would flounder in the current market.
And as yours is the deciding voice, what with you working in a high ranking position in the film industry, that's the end of that discussion.
Do you really think films like The Motion Picture or The Voyage Home would do as well in today's market? It's not a commentary on quality, but more about what today's audience is looking for in a sci-fi film.
In the current comic-action craze, I'd even wonder how well movies like "ET", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", or "Back to the Future" would do, right now.
Old February 5 2013, 09:37 PM   #145
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
You're complaining because it's the same way it's always been...it's just that cinematography has changed since the 80s and gfx have gotten better.
Am I? OK then, thanks for telling me .
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:41 PM   #146
Dukhat
Commodore

We know what's likely to be successful / non-successful. It doesn't need spelling out every time someone makes a "You know what I'd like to see..." post.
Why not? If people can't handle realistic criticism every time they post that they want to see a "post-24th-century Trek with Borg, Romulans, etc.", then they shouldn't bother posting, because that's how people are going to respond.
Old February 5 2013, 09:42 PM   #147
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Franklin wrote: View Post

In the current comic-action craze, I'd even wonder how well movies like "ET", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", or "Back to the Future" would do, right now.
About as well as Super 8, decent but not spectacular, I'd wager (as Super 8 is the closest thing to those--especially Close Encounters--that's been released recently).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:42 PM   #148
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Dalekjim wrote:
Even though TOS was the quickest live-action Trek show to be cancelled and TNG was a genuine pop culture phenomena
You truly don't comprehend what an impact the original Star Trek had?
Old February 5 2013, 09:44 PM   #149
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post

Why not? If people can't handle realistic criticism every time they post that they want to see a "post-24th-century Trek with Borg, Romulans, etc.", then they shouldn't bother posting, because that's how people are going to respond.
Yep. If being disagreed with discourages people, that's unfortunate.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:44 PM   #150
BillJ
Admiral

I think it does for certain people who can't let go of the past.

I too would love a new film that was like The Motion Picture, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it'll happen anytime soon. Or that because I like movies like that, I'm above people who like the Abramsverse. Or that my taste in entertainment is somehow more worthy.