Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 4 2013, 04:12 PM   #991
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Can someone make Phil Simms go away, so annoying in everything he says.
Old February 4 2013, 04:24 PM   #992
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
So, yeah, my neighborhood in Baltimore was a madhouse last night.
I went to a conference in Baltimore a few years ago. We went to the National Aquarium as one of the group activities after dinner. The group wasn't all that social to deal with, and I had been there before, so I said screw this and took a walk around the city.

It was nice, the Inner Harbor, some sports/concert venue, keep walking a couple of blocks more and suddenly I'm deep in the 'hood.

Glad I was not in that section of town last night.

Now that the offseason is on - I'll start taking bets on what Pollard does to someone on the Pats next year.

I'm putting the O/U on injuries at 1.5, and the odds on where the injury occurs in lower body to upper body 5:3.
Old February 4 2013, 06:13 PM   #993
Neroon
Mod of balance

I've watched that play to Crabtree more and more today... and interference could definitely been called. The reason I don't get too wound up about it is because it looked like Crabtree was pushing off a bit on Smith's helmet. Plus, the refs seemed to really let the defensive players have as much play as the receivers all game long. Then again, I can understand here it's for the championship title.

To me the worse non-call was why the refs never called a single penalty for holding on that punt-safety. Jim H had no problem with the play itself, saying "you're coached to do that", and it makes sense. But a penalty while still getting a safety, stops the clock sooner, enough time that the Niners might - and I emphasize "might" - have given them time for a run back and one kick to tie it up.

Truth be told, I was surprised the Niners kept passing there on that stand. The running game had been going strong especially up the middle. I can see one, maybe two passing plays but four?

Eh.... it's all over and the Ravens earned it. Wasn't the cleanest game, but it wasn't the worst, either.
- Proverbs 12:20
Old February 4 2013, 06:55 PM   #994
tighr
Commodore

Neroon wrote: View Post
I've watched that play to Crabtree more and more today... and interference could definitely been called. The reason I don't get too wound up about it is because it looked like Crabtree was pushing off a bit on Smith's helmet. Plus, the refs seemed to really let the defensive players have as much play as the receivers all game long. Then again, I can understand here it's for the championship title.
Again, maybe because its the Super Bowl, but I was really surprised there were no ejections in not one, but TWO fights during the game. Put that on Boger, also.
Old February 4 2013, 08:09 PM   #995
ThankQ
Admiral

To me the worse non-call was why the refs never called a single penalty for holding on that punt-safety. Jim H had no problem with the play itself, saying "you're coached to do that", and it makes sense. But a penalty while still getting a safety, stops the clock sooner, enough time that the Niners might - and I emphasize "might" - have given them time for a run back and one kick to tie it up.
I noticed the monster hold, too. But then I thought, so what? It's holding in the endzone, still a saftey. Nothing would have changed.

It WOULD NOT have stopped the clock sooner. The play would have still been run to its finish. They don't stop the clock just because there was a hold in the endzone. The play isn't blown dead then. They let the play run, then the 49ers would have had a option to take the play or take the penalty with the same result either way.
Old February 4 2013, 08:24 PM   #996
tighr
Commodore

Well, the 2012 season is over.

It's fun to go back to the first couple pages of this thread and read everyone's optimistic outlook on this season!
Old February 4 2013, 08:47 PM   #997
Green Shirt
Commodore

The most obvious non-call by the refs all game was the hit on Flacco after he was five feet out of bounds. Wonder what the "S.F. was robbed" folks thought about that?
Old February 5 2013, 05:02 AM   #998
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

It wouldn't have stopped the clock earlier. It would be a play called after the ball stops. The 49ers would have the choice of replaying fourth down (after half the distance to the goal) or declining the penalty and taking the safety. So it wouldn't have made a difference.
Old February 5 2013, 05:07 AM   #999
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yep, time to turn the lights out on this thread.
Old February 5 2013, 05:43 AM   #1000
ThankQ
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
It wouldn't have stopped the clock earlier. It would be a play called after the ball stops. The 49ers would have the choice of replaying fourth down (after half the distance to the goal) or declining the penalty and taking the safety. So it wouldn't have made a difference.
No, it would have been a safety for holding in the endzone. It would have made less than no difference.
Old February 5 2013, 07:04 AM   #1001
tighr
Commodore

Actually, as a point of information: offensive players are not only taught, they are encouraged, to hold in the endzone on a called intentional safety play. The longer they are able to hold, the longer the ball carrier has to scramble in the endzone. If the punter made any mistake, it was not holding out long enough. Although the risk of fumble is still there... if the punter fumbles, San Francisco has the opportunity to fall on it for a touchdown, in which case they would decline the holding penalty and take the touchdown.

What we saw last night is actually something of a white elephant play. The intentional safety is a rare play in football. Last time I saw one was a few years ago when Justin Blackmon from Oklahoma State ran 50 yards out the back of his own endzone at full speed on 4th down. Had he been caught and tackled, the other team would have gained possession there. Had he fumbled, they could have scored a touchdown. So the only option was to ensure the fastest guy on your team could make it out the back of the endzone without being caught.
Old February 5 2013, 08:31 AM   #1002
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

You generally only see an intentional safety when a team is backed up to their own 1 or 2, and giving up 2 points beats a blocked punt and the other team starting out with a first and goal.
Old February 5 2013, 09:43 AM   #1003
chrisspringob
Commodore

You're right on this of course, but that does seem like a situation in which the rules are creating perverse incentives. Would the punishment for *any* penalty committed by the offense in such a situation (personal fouls and the like included) be a safety....which the offense wants anyway?

If so, then it seems like the sort of thing where they might want to do a rule change. Though I'm not actually sure what the optimal rule would be in this case, and it is a rare situation.
Old February 5 2013, 02:57 PM   #1004
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

ThankQ wrote: View Post
No, it would have been a safety for holding in the endzone. It would have made less than no difference.
I thought the holding was just outside of the endzone. Either way, it doesn't change anything.
Old February 5 2013, 09:24 PM   #1005
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

1001001 wrote: View Post
Crabtree was doing the same thing, too - pulling and all. It happens
Exactly. He was pushing off his helmet. Good no call.
But that is not the way infractions are called in the NFL. Just beacues both players are fouling, that does not mean the infractions cancel each other out. NFL receivers push off almost as often as they make catches, yet we almost never see an offensive push off called. But if a corner interferes, that call is made way more often than not.

When a DB makes contact with a wideout more than 5 yards down the field, that call is made a lot -- even when the contact is less than sgnificant (as long as it is intentional).

When I saw the Ravens' corner with his hands on either side of Crabtree while in the end zone with the ball in the air, I thought we'd see a flag.

But I am torn. No one wants to see the refs decide a game of this magnitude, including me. So I can't say that I wanted a flag. Of course, the 9ers are not my team, either. 8^)

But IF a call had been made, it most appropriately should have been against the Ravens' corner who was guilty of two infractions, holding and P.I., on the play.
Closed Thread