RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 726
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old February 5 2013, 07:31 PM   #3151
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
Just reached T5 in Romulan reputation - hurrah! (I'm a little slower than most because I don't get time to play every day.)

Then I looked at the T5 Purple Romulan and Reman space sets... 750 marks per PIECE?! Bloody hell, that'd take me months to grind...

Oh well - I have my Romulan experimental set, Jem'Hadar set and Vesta set equipped. This lot sure packs a punch - never have I blasted through stuff so fast in a science ship...
Just a quick tip, the fastest way to earn romulan marks is to evolve and sell elder eppohs. Each is worth 400 marks and all it requires is spending 5 minutes everyday for 9-10 days.
OK, so I just tried the tagging mission for the first time. I can get nine Eppohs tagged in ninety seconds (at a stretch), giving me one tag per day. This means I need 4 days to get 1 research, 5 research per pup, so we're already looking at 20 days. Then four days to rise through the ranks, but while I'm doing that I can start on the next one.

Four hundred marks every 20 days... and that's assuming I have time to play every day...

Nope, I think I'll stick to my 60-mark-a-day Nequencia run.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:40 PM   #3152
Scout101
Admiral

Yeah, only reason I have any Romulan Marks is because of the Winter Event, and the MUCH easier time of getting them through that Eppoh tagging.

All these piddly events for 5-10 Marks at a time isn't worth the effort, and isn't FUN.

Even though I've done STFs to death, at least you can bang out 75-100 in a 15 minute period, get some DIL, and still have a little entertainment/challenge. Scanning 20 of X for 10 Marks, or 20 days of grinding for 400, neither is awarding appropriately to the pain in the ass, and it's NOT fun.

Of course, i've now maxed out both Rep races for my main toon, and have all the Omega gear I care to have. Bought a few Romulan pieces, but not really seeing more that's worth the horrible grind to get in the first place. Am I missing something?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:46 PM   #3153
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

You are doing Epohh tagging alone?!

Always try to team up for it. You can easily double or triple the number of tagged epohhs that way.
A duo can max it out to 30 tags if they are fast and with 3 it's a sure thing.
That will give you 4 tags for your research doff assignment.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 10:09 PM   #3154
Scout101
Admiral

No, I'm not chasing around in the fields at all. Only Eppoh work I did was during the winter event, when it just took a 30 second race and a couple DOFF assignments to breed them up to 100/200 Marks depending on what you got.

Even with a good team as you suggested, still sounds like an awful grind, and not overly fun.

And then, as mentioned, i've already run out of things worth BUYING with the tags. Not really sure any of the kits/weapons/consoles are better than what I've got or worth spending anything on.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 10:14 PM   #3155
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

A full grown epohh gets you 400 Romulan marks, so once you get through the first 10 days or so to set up your breeding program and keep doing it daily which takes you about 5 minutes or so, you have a steady high influx of marks... of course once you have bought everything from the rep store you are pretty much done. raise 3-4 epohhs to elderhood you can max the reputation easily.
Old February 6 2013, 08:04 AM   #3156
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Just reached T5 in Romulan reputation - hurrah! (I'm a little slower than most because I don't get time to play every day.)

Then I looked at the T5 Purple Romulan and Reman space sets... 750 marks per PIECE?! Bloody hell, that'd take me months to grind...

Oh well - I have my Romulan experimental set, Jem'Hadar set and Vesta set equipped. This lot sure packs a punch - never have I blasted through stuff so fast in a science ship...
Just a quick tip, the fastest way to earn romulan marks is to evolve and sell elder eppohs. Each is worth 400 marks and all it requires is spending 5 minutes everyday for 9-10 days.
OK, so I just tried the tagging mission for the first time. I can get nine Eppohs tagged in ninety seconds (at a stretch), giving me one tag per day. This means I need 4 days to get 1 research, 5 research per pup, so we're already looking at 20 days. Then four days to rise through the ranks, but while I'm doing that I can start on the next one.

Four hundred marks every 20 days... and that's assuming I have time to play every day...

Nope, I think I'll stick to my 60-mark-a-day Nequencia run.
Really, 9 days is the longest it should take to get and elder eppoh. If you get crits on eppoh research, it can take as quick as 4 days to get an elder eppoh.

As mentioned by Timelord, always tag eppohs in a group of 3 or more. That way, you'll always be able to tag 40 eppohs and get 4 eppoh tags every day, allowing you to get enough research for a baby eppoh in just 5 days instead of 20 days.
Old February 6 2013, 09:44 AM   #3157
Rocketeer
Captain

Okay, ran the temporal mission. It was fun, but a few things could make it better (like a gag for Lt Yar). I made it through the maze too fast and luckily went back in to explore a little. What happened to my crew though?..
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 06:59 PM   #3158
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Okay, ran the temporal mission. It was fun, but a few things could make it better (like a gag for Lt Yar). I made it through the maze too fast and luckily went back in to explore a little. What happened to my crew though?..
Why? Your crew wassn't your crew in the alternate reality.
Old February 7 2013, 07:28 PM   #3159
USS Triumphant
Commodore

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
If your run was like mine, at least some of your crew were roaming around as denizens of the base.

And I never heard Yar - since I was playing in a crowded room, 'mute' was my gag for her.
Old February 7 2013, 07:42 PM   #3160
USS Triumphant
Commodore

BTW - I'm still a Lieutenant in the game with my original ship, so when I ended up running that Ambassador-class Enterprise, the number of crew options floored me. Is there a way to automate some of that (like tell Crewperson A to use their ability every time it comes back available if we're in combat) or have you found that you have just adapted to be able to manage all of that as the game has progressed?
Old February 7 2013, 09:13 PM   #3161
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

As the game progresses, you learn to get used to the number of bridge officer abilities. It's worse in this mission though, since you're scrambling to figure out what all the powers you have are, even if you're used to flying a VA ship. The progression through the game gives you a chance to get used to the powers as you get bigger ships.

As for automating powers, may be able to do the same thing as you can with weapons, i.e. right click the activate icon so it has a green border and will continue to activate after the first use.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 11:49 PM   #3162
Dale Sams
Captain

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
BTW - I'm still a Lieutenant in the game with my original ship, so when I ended up running that Ambassador-class Enterprise, the number of crew options floored me. Is there a way to automate some of that (like tell Crewperson A to use their ability every time it comes back available if we're in combat) or have you found that you have just adapted to be able to manage all of that as the game has progressed?
I just ability-mashed and spammed 'fire all weapons'.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 12:11 AM   #3163
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

^I just put weapons on autofire, and used my left hand to steer, right hand to activate powers with the mouse. That's my normal modus operandi anyway, so no big change.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 12:06 PM   #3164
Rocketeer
Captain

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
They were at the Tholian work camp.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Old February 8 2013, 05:14 PM   #3165
Rocketeer
Captain

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Your crew will use their abilities during battle, but perhaps not as fast as you like. Put the critical ones you need to where you can punch them yourself. I haven't tried the suggestion from SilentP, but will check it out next time.

I need to find someone that calculated all the rotations/cooldowns and got it down to a science. :-)