USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 12 2012, 12:33 AM   #211
BK613
Captain

Re: The Art of Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

^Sweet! Nice to see some more of this. Simply fantastic!
Old May 12 2012, 01:46 AM   #212
Redfern
Commodore

The other week Ptrope pondered upon the DAZ forums how to depict the red insectoid sitting upon the council. I presented several examples, but this was the one he thought had the most potential. I'm not claiming Ptrope will use this particular solution. I'm jusr saying of the four ideas I presented, this was the onehe liked the best.

Oh, believe it or not, this is not a dedicated "monster" mesh as the other three were. This is an insanely extreme morph reshaping what started as a human male geometry. No, I didn't create it. A clever vendor calling himself Grotto made this set. However, I did modify it by combining other morphs, hiding selected body parts and aligning two partial instances of the figure to get the 4 arms depicted in the original animation cel.

Yes, this arrangement does have a pelvis and legs, but I staged it like this since that's all we saw of the "bug" in the cartoon.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 03:16 AM   #213
Kail
Commodore

Love it. That looks great!

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 05:22 AM   #214
Gagarin
Commander

^That shot reminds me of "The Rift" mission on Judgement Rights.
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 02:35 AM   #215
Redfern
Commodore

A lil' something to hopefully for Ptrope's "ReAnimated" thread, an experiment in "procedural" shaders to get the iconic compound eye effect for the Gorn. The head itself is a static mesh (modeled by XCalPro with ZBrush or MudBox) simply positioned atop an older DAZ figure, Michael 2. I found the supplied textures for the eyes somewhat "wanting", so I set about making some of my own. Rather than creating a texture using an image file, I used one of the 3D procedural nodes that one can modify within Poser's "Material Room". They can be a bit more "forgiving" if the UV mapping coordinates happen to be less than pristine. This is the result.

I tried an all "white" scheme for the "spot" node, but I found it looked better if I selected "random color" and thn ramped up the "diffuse" channel to partially "mute" the otherwise bold "rainbow".

Since a Gorn appears in a few shots of "The time Trap", I thought the render might be appropriate for this thread.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old February 5 2013, 06:39 PM   #216
Redfern
Commodore

Say, Ptrope (and anyone else who uses Poser), XCalpro uploaded my prop (.pp2) version of his Gorn head geometry to his general download section.

The other day I was able to successfully "decimate" his original 60,000 polygon sculpture to a bit more resource friendly 15K, one quarter of its original poly count. Since he has placed his modeling and rigging project on hold, he's willing to distribute this "compact" version to the general public.

It can be found here.

http://xcalpro.com/tng/download.php?view.134

Keep in mind it needs to be "parented" to a host figure and a tube or torus prop is recommended to hide the nasty gap at the bottom of the Gorn's neck. After all, that's how they did it in the show itself.

BTW, this prop is not DAZ friendly. It makes use of Poser 5+ specific Material Room procedural nodes to create the leathery skin and the segmented eyes. the external .OBJ should be usable, hopefully.

If any intrepid DAZ user concocts any equivalent material settings, let XCalpro know. He has a developing section of DAZ specific downloads and I think he'll appreciate a version that D|S can use.

Sincerely,

Bill