RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,346
Posts: 5,354,083
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 460
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 5 2013, 05:12 PM   #61
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

DarthTom wrote: View Post

Apparently Mr. Spielberg made a whole bunch of real historical mistakes it his latest masterpiece Lincoln
Did he fuck up the flag? My guess is no, and that's my point.

He may have made a few choices or altered certain events for the story he was telling (I don't know, I've yet to see Lincoln) but my guess is he payed a lot of attention to certain details.

It's impossible to get everything right, but a flag isn't easy to fuck up unless you're just not giving a shit.
__________________
http://flapjoy.deviantart.com/

Last edited by FlapJoy; February 5 2013 at 05:25 PM.
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:27 PM   #62
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Here's a novel thought...why not wait to judge the movie based on the movie itself rather than the trailer?

Not that trailers ever contained material that didn't appear in exactly the same way in the final product...
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:30 PM   #63
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

FlapJoy wrote: View Post

It's impossible to get everything right, but a flag isn't easy to fuck up unless you're just not giving a shit.
Oh good lord. At first glance it appears symmetrical as someone said but after you read about it - it's not. It's not as if to the casual American viewer or even someone who's a skilled American director that such a thing would be obvious whereas I'm assuming even to the most inexperienced British director hanging the American flag upside down would be an obvious and stupid mistake unless they were trying to make a political point.

I'm doubting that Abrams thought having special production people on staff to make sure the Union Jack was flying in a few frames right was worth the cost and no one in pre and post production caught the mistake.

If anyone deserves blame here it's set design not Abrams.

Oh and BTW, why didn't Benedict Cumberbatch who is a British actor catch the problem when they were filming it?

or

Mickey Smith from Dr. Who is another famous British actor who was cast in some of the scenes where the flag is flying.

They must not be patriots?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:34 PM   #64
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

DonIago wrote: View Post
Here's a novel thought...why not wait to judge the movie based on the movie itself rather than the trailer?

Not that trailers ever contained material that didn't appear in exactly the same way in the final product...
I totally agree... sometimes scenes are reversed, flipped, even played backwards for trailers... but I looked at a screen shot... and it's just wrong. It doesn't really matter, it has no real bearing on anything important or worthwhile (although a British citizen might see it differently)... but it is lazy. Lazy is bad for movies.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
FlapJoy wrote: View Post

It's impossible to get everything right, but a flag isn't easy to fuck up unless you're just not giving a shit.
Oh good lord. At first glance it appears symmetrical as someone said but after you read about it - it's not. It's not as if to the casual American viewer or even someone who's a skilled American director that such a thing would be obvious whereas I'm assuming even to the most inexperienced British director hanging the American flag upside down would be an obvious and stupid mistake unless they were trying to make a political point.

I'm doubting that Abrams thought having special production people on staff to make sure the Union Jack was flying in a few frames right was worth the cost and no one in pre and post production caught the mistake.

If anyone deserves blame here it's set design not Abrams.

Oh and BTW, why didn't Benedict Cumberbatch who is a British actor catch the problem when they were filming it?

or

Mickey Smith from Dr. Who is another famous British actor who was cast in some of the scenes where the flag is flying.

They must not be patriots?
It's not about patriotism. It's not about blame, it's just dumb... really, really, dumb.
__________________
http://flapjoy.deviantart.com/
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:39 PM   #65
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
but it is lazy. Lazy is bad for movies.
Meh. Alfred Hitchcock is well known as one of the most particular film makers ever and even he was prone to some glaring mistakes. In the film Psycho:

When Marion is driving her car through the night, she keeps looking at her speedometer. You can clearly see that the gear shift lever is in "park" as she is driving.


When Norman picks up Marion's body to carry it to his trunk, a bra is visible through the shower curtain. Gus Van Sant included this goof in his 1998 remake.
When Janet Leigh is shown lying dead on the floor of the shower, there is a close-up of her open eye. The pupil is contracted to a pinpoint (obviously due to the bright lighting) where it should have been dilated. After the film was released, Hitchcock heard from several ophthalmologists who pointed this out and suggested he use belladonna eyedrops in the eyes of "dead" people in future films, as the chemical prevents the pupils from contracting.
When Marion and Norman are talking after he has brought in some sandwiches, Marion tears the same piece of bread 3 times on different occasions.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:39 PM   #66
Urgent Sky
Commodore
 
Urgent Sky's Avatar
 
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Do you think they could fix it in post? I read somewhere that they changed all the Chinese flags to North Korean flags for that "Red Dawn" remake that nobody watched. Maybe they could correct the Union Jack so it's flying correctly?

Not that fixing it matters to me, but if people are going to make that big a deal out of it...
Urgent Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:43 PM   #67
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

May be upside down for a reason; London does get attacked after all.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:43 PM   #68
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

DarthTom wrote: View Post
FlapJoy wrote: View Post
but it is lazy. Lazy is bad for movies.
Meh. Alfred Hitchcock is well known as one of the most particular film makers ever and even he was prone to some glaring mistakes. In the film Psycho:

When Marion is driving her car through the night, she keeps looking at her speedometer. You can clearly see that the gear shift lever is in "park" as she is driving.



When Janet Leigh is shown lying dead on the floor of the shower, there is a close-up of her open eye. The pupil is contracted to a pinpoint (obviously due to the bright lighting) where it should have been dilated. After the film was released, Hitchcock heard from several ophthalmologists who pointed this out and suggested he use belladonna eyedrops in the eyes of "dead" people in future films, as the chemical prevents the pupils from contracting.
When Marion and Norman are talking after he has brought in some sandwiches, Marion tears the same piece of bread 3 times on different occasions.
And by itemizing the list of mistakes it means you noticed them... it's fun to notice them. But it's bad for movies. Now every time you see those movies you'll notice these mistakes, that's bad for movies... I'm just saying.

And what an optometrist notices or a British flag expert notices are going to be different and specific... but hanging a flag right? That's child's play.
__________________
http://flapjoy.deviantart.com/
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:53 PM   #69
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

You know, I'm willing to bet that Chekov had a Russian flag in his quarters.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:57 PM   #70
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

FlapJoy wrote: View Post

And by itemizing the list of mistakes it means you noticed them... it's fun to notice them. But it's bad for movies. Now every time you see those movies you'll notice these mistakes, that's bad for movies... I'm just saying.
You can find these types of mistakes in all of the Trek Films - from First Contact:

Not only is New Zeland's flag wrong - it's missing from the planet.
In the scene where Picard opens a viewing port and shows Lilly that she is in a starship orbiting Earth he shows her New Guinea and Australia. New Zealand is missing.

In the scene where Picard, Worf and Hawk are outside the ship and want to separate the transmitter dish from the hull, Picard must move a kind of tube out of an console and must turn it from a low to a high position. In one shot the tube is in the high position, in the next shot it is in the low position and then Picard pulls it out and turns it in the high position.
When Picard and Lilly go to the holodeck, the door says "Holodeck". When the Borg enter, it says "Holosuite".
When Worf's spacesuit is cut, a close-up shows it venting from a cut just above the knee. But a wide-shot shows the cut is just below the knee.
In the scene after Zefram's ship goes to warp, when the ship is being turned around to return home, Cochran remarks "Is that the Earth? It's so... small" He wouldn't have been able to see it, provided the distance the ship just flew. Warp 1 is the speed of light and in a 1 minute flight, the Phoenix would have travelled over 10 million miles - at that distance the earth would just appear like a bright star.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:58 PM   #71
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

The funny thing is... if JJ were to fuck up the UFP flag, you guys would tear him a sideways asshole.
__________________
http://flapjoy.deviantart.com/
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:00 PM   #72
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Harrison sounds English....Harrison attacks London...takes control...demands flags from 'the ol country' be flown in his honor...flags are flown upside down to spite him...Harrison is too busy to really notice.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:05 PM   #73
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
The funny thing is... if JJ were to fuck up the UFP flag, you guys would tear him a sideways asshole.
Nope.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:05 PM   #74
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

DarthTom wrote: View Post
FlapJoy wrote: View Post

And by itemizing the list of mistakes it means you noticed them... it's fun to notice them. But it's bad for movies. Now every time you see those movies you'll notice these mistakes, that's bad for movies... I'm just saying.
You can find these types of mistakes in all of the Trek Films - from First Contact:

Not only is New Zeland's flag wrong - it's missing from the planet.
In the scene where Picard opens a viewing port and shows Lilly that she is in a starship orbiting Earth he shows her New Guinea and Australia. New Zealand is missing.




When Worf's spacesuit is cut, a close-up shows it venting from a cut just above the knee. But a wide-shot shows the cut is just below the knee.
In the scene after Zefram's ship goes to warp, when the ship is being turned around to return home, Cochran remarks "Is that the Earth? It's so... small" He wouldn't have been able to see it, provided the distance the ship just flew. Warp 1 is the speed of light and in a 1 minute flight, the Phoenix would have travelled over 10 million miles - at that distance the earth would just appear like a bright star.
Exactly...it doesn't matter... but it is dumb
__________________
http://flapjoy.deviantart.com/
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:08 PM   #75
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Could be the flags are supposed to be that way. They were seconds accidentally sent to that building. They knew they were wrong, but flew them anyway thinking no one would notice (or at least care). But then Harrison sees them and that's what makes him go batshit and start detonating things.

In other words, those flags could be an important plot point.

Or not.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.