TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 5 2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi
Re: Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy on NRA Enemy List

Stallone? Really?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

How nice to find so many of my favourite people on that list...
Old February 5 2013, 02:01 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

Interesting tactic to draw attnetion to those organisations and people that don't support your viewpoint.

Besides what ever happened to "Whilst I disagree with your viewpoint, I respect your right to hold that viewpoint"

The US 1st Ammendment deals with free speech, and yes that does include saying perhaps we should look at guns (or whatever the issue of the day is). The US constitution is fully open to being ammended, sure it might be difficult to do so but it can be ammended. Now of course no one is really talking about repealing the US 2nd Ammendment just regulating certain types of firearms.

The danager in holding viewpoints on the ends of a debate is that you can alienate a large grop of people. i.e in the gun debate the ends would be repleaing the 2nd Ammendment and having a free for all on guns. A lot of people might be somewhat neutral on the issue but should either side push their viewpoint to far they might come off as an extremists. There by pushing many of the nuetrals towards supporting the opposite of their own viewpoint.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 02:11 PM   #19
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

WOW!!!

Scary stuff.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Garrovick
Commander

I wouldn't count myself as either a friend or an enemy of the NRA, although I do not own a gun and will never, ever own one. But I think publishing lists like this accomplishes absolutely nothing and will only drive more people away who might otherwise be at least halfway supportive.

I do think the Second Amendment needs to be looked at. Things have changed quite a bit in the world since it was originally written, after all. The Founders themselves were open to changing the Constitution, that's why they provided for it to be amended in the first place. I do not think we should get rid of all firearms, but there's no logical reason at all for assault weapons to be out there in the numbers that they are. The Second Amendment is badly in need of an overhaul to bring it more in line with the reality of life in the 21st Century and it has been for some time. Given the current political climate at the national and state levels, though, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:15 PM   #21
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

My mom and uncle got me into target practice last year and I went bird hunting with my ex FIL (no shooting for me when hunting due to lack of experience and safety training) and I've really enjoyed it. My mom and uncle are good marksmen and take safety very seriously, even with a BB gun.

I'm moving to a bird hunting hotspot in a few weeks a definitely want to take the requisite training and get into it with some of the guys at work.

Plus, in an age of increasing gun violence, I wouldn't mind having some extra protection at home.

That being said, the NRA is nuts. They are as extreme as PETA or any other group that far out. But any special interest group is out to advance their agenda.

I'm a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. While not involved in such controversial topics, they publish a report every year that says our infrastructure is about 20 minutes away from falling apart. You can't tell me they aren't out to get zillions to fix bridges and leaky aqueducts.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:08 PM   #22
gturner
Admiral

Stewart and Nimoy can oppose firearms because they have phasers, so it wouldn't inconvenience them at all.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:35 PM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
My mom and uncle got me into target practice last year and I went bird hunting with my ex FIL (no shooting for me when hunting due to lack of experience and safety training) and I've really enjoyed it. My mom and uncle are good marksmen and take safety very seriously, even with a BB gun.

I'm moving to a bird hunting hotspot in a few weeks a definitely want to take the requisite training and get into it with some of the guys at work.

Plus, in an age of increasing gun violence, I wouldn't mind having some extra protection at home.

That being said, the NRA is nuts. They are as extreme as PETA or any other group that far out. But any special interest group is out to advance their agenda.

I'm a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. While not involved in such controversial topics, they publish a report every year that says our infrastructure is about 20 minutes away from falling apart. You can't tell me they aren't out to get zillions to fix bridges and leaky aqueducts.

Yes but if an Engineer is saying a bridge is falling apart and needs fixing, they can usually provide scientific evidence to support that viewpoint.

Unfortunantly there is no quick fix to the gun debate in the US. Even going to the extreme of a repeal of the 2nd ammendment woun't prevent tradegies like Sany Hook, Columbine, Virgina Tech and so on from ever happening agian. All that can be down is too reduce the risk of it happening it again.

Some will argue that if banning a gun (or type of gun) saved even 1 life it was worth it. Others will say that the right to own a gun is more important than trying to reduce the number of firearm related deaths.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:43 PM   #24
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

What's with the list containing teachers and pediatricians? People who I think aren't supposed to be celebrities, public figures or whatever? How is drawing attention to them directly in any way acceptable? Is NRA 4chan?
Old February 5 2013, 09:09 PM   #25
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I want to watch movies of all these people now. So many cool celebs!
Anyone who uses this list to boycott them will have ahard time ever seeing a movie in the theatre again.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:15 PM   #26
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Judging from the content of postings I've seen from a majority of pro-NRA people on TBBS, seeing a list like this actually feels a bit mortifying.
Old February 5 2013, 09:38 PM   #27
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I don't quite understand the point of this list. To me it reads like "Look how fucking stupid and backwards we are. Here's a whole list of celebrities that you like, and organizations that do good who all hate us!"
Old February 5 2013, 10:25 PM   #28
Captrek
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I don't quite understand the point of this list. To me it reads like "Look how fucking stupid and backwards we are. Here's a whole list of celebrities that you like, and organizations that do good who all hate us!"
That's what I was trying to say in post #15. This and other tactics seem designed to inflame the passions of extremists while turning mainstream Americans against them. Either they're insane, or their agenda is not what their paying members think it is. Or both.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 11:08 PM   #29
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
That's what I was trying to say in post #15. This and other tactics seem designed to inflame the passions of extremists while turning mainstream Americans against them. Either they're insane, or their agenda is not what their paying members think it is. Or both.
I'd go with both.
Old February 5 2013, 11:22 PM   #30
gturner
Admiral

Well, this list doesn't get nearly as much as attention as the list of child celebrities opposing Kirk Cameron, which draws support from both the left and right of the political spectrum.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote